Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-29-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Tsunami Relief Donations

Posted 2004-12-29 22:43:43 by Jun Akiyama

I just wanted to take up a bit of space here on AikiWeb to send out a call for your help in assisting those in need from the recent tsunami disaster in Southeast Asia. Your cash donations to disaster relief organizations will help those directly affected by the disaster, so if you have anything that you can spare, please don't hesitate to do so. There are lists of organizations accepting donations here, here, and here .

AikiWeb is also collecting donations which will be sent to the American Red Cross, starting out with US$500 from AikiWeb itself. Please read everything on the AikiWeb donation page before donating, though, as donating directly to organizations may be more cost effective. Here is the AikiWeb Tsunami Disaster Relief page. Lastly, here is the AikiWeb Forums thread on the disaster. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this disaster.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:07 AM   #2
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Tsunami Relief Donations

For folks who prefer not to send to Red Cross, both Unicef and Doctors without Borders are also accepting cash donations specifcially earmarked for this disaster.
Someone at the dojo commented tonight that this is really of epic proportions and yes, like Gilgamesh or one of the ancient volcanoes, the scope of this is just mindboggling.
Yet the suffering, and the rebuilding, is still one person at a time....over and over...

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-30-2004, 02:17 AM   #3
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

The UK Disaster Emergency Committee (DEC) is made up of a number of member aid agencies:

Action Aid
British Red Cross
CAFOD
Care
Christian Aid
Concern
Help The Aged
Merlin
Oxfam
Save The Children
Tear Fund
World Vision

DEC are receiving donations specifically for the tsunami earthquake appeal on-line at www.dec.org.uk and by telephone on 0870 60 60 900.

Please give all you can.

Osu!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #4
siwilson
England

To donate in the UK:

The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) is an umbrella group of UK charities including, among others, British Red Cross, Cafod, Oxfam, Save the Children, Tearfund
Call them on 0870 60 60 900 or donate online at www.dec.org.uk

By the end of the week people should be able to donate cash or cheques - made payable to the DEC Tsunami Earthquake Appeal - at High Street banks.

Cash or cheques (made payable to Post Office Ltd) can be donated over the counter at Post Office branches.

Other bodies raising money include the Muslim groups Muslim Aid (020 7377 4200) and Islamic Relief (0121 622 0622) and the Hindu charities Sewa International 0116 261 0303 and the ISKCON Disaster Appeal on 01923 856848.

Sri Lankan organisations including Asia Quake Relief Appeal UK (asia-quakerelief@europe.com) are also raising money

Please give all you can. This is a global disaster affecting people from all over the world.

For those outside the UK, the AikiWeb appeal is available, donating to the American Red Cross:

http://www.aikiweb.com/store/disaster.html

Please help if you can.

Si

Osu!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:25 PM   #5
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

I just found out that a close friend who I thought might be there wasn't...a contribution seems like a gesture of gratitude to me.

Jeanne
Old 12-31-2004, 12:36 AM   #6
Sue Hammerich
Dojo: Full Circle Aikido
United_States

Thanks to you all for this vital information. As much as I enjoy Aikido and appreciate the opportunity to practice (and all of the other blesssings that I have) the best thing about my involvement is the people I encounter - such as all of you. I join you in your sorrow and desire to help

Old 12-31-2004, 07:19 AM   #7
siwilson
England

If anything good can come out of this, I hope it is that everyone can see that we are all the same, brothers and sisters, citizens of one world. I hope this tragedy brings the people of the world closer together.

I wish you all a happy New Year.

Last edited by siwilson : 12-31-2004 at 07:31 AM.

Osu!
Old 01-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
akiy

Hi folks,

I just sent in a donation for $808.92 ($820-$11.08 for PayPal fees) to the Red Cross. Thanks to everyone who has donated so far!

Once again, the details on AikiWeb's collecting for the Red Cross may be found here:

http://www.aikiweb.com/store/disaster.html

Best regards,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #9
siwilson
England

Hi Jun

Great to see the money getting to where it is needed.

Have you thought about contacting PayPal and asking if they would refund the fees for the appeal, or donate them to the Red Cross themselves?

I am sure they would not want to be seen to be profitting from charitable donations and it gets more money to where it is needed.

Si

Osu!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
mj

If PayPal makes an exception for a charity you can be sure it will be sued by some offshore charity within 5 years. Better to use their service.

People give what they give. Newsreaders get paid for reporting, pilots get paid for flying aid. Newsreaders and pilots decide to give their own money themselves...just like everyone else.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
siwilson
England

My brother is a pilot (Captain) for "an extremely large international frieght company"! He has offered his services for free. He will fly aid with no pay!

Osu!
Old 01-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #12
siwilson
England

Just been on the PayPal website and they are collecting for UNICEF! http://donations.paypal.com/

They are waiving all fees for the donations, so surely they must do the same for our Red Cross appeal!!??

Osu!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
akiy

Hi everyone,

I just went and sent in via online donation another $105.41. This brings the total donated through AikiWeb to the Red Cross's International Response Fund up to $914.33!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed, both here through AikiWeb and directly to the tsunami relief organizations!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
mj

Excellent. Well done.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com