Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-01-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
samahmaalouf
book

hello I need your help to find book about learning Akidio include the step by step.
thanks
Old 11-01-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: book

Gozo Shioda - "The Masters Course". Purchase off Amazon. Very good book.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 11-02-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
Peter Seth
Dojo: Zanshin. Sunderland University
England
Smile Re: book

Hi Samah
I have written a book called 'The First Steps', (in english)which takes a student from beginner to yellow belt. It covers the nine basic techniques and includes good sketches/graphics + around 90 step by step photographs. Included is a foreword by Oscar Ratti and Adelle Westbrooke, the authors of 'Aikido and the dynamic sphere'. They kindly allowed me to reproduce some of their excellent sketches and were also kind enough to read my draft copy and reply in the positive. If you are interested I can give further details if you contact me by email on psethp@yahoo.co.uk.
Cheers
Peter

PS: I bought 'Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere' years ago and still find it an excellent book.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
arderljohn
Dojo: Manila Aikido Club
Philippines

Hi Samah,
I red many kinds of Aikido books most of them are very interesting and exciting. it is you to decide wich one if fitted to your needs and taste. For me, the book of Mitsugi Saotome Sensei is my first choice, try the "The priciple of AIKIDO" the one he wrote. It gives you more advice and more picture of his work.

Gud Luck!
Old 12-29-2004, 03:39 AM   #5
Thomas Ambrose

United_States

Here is what I can offer, as a newbie!

I bought Best Aikido, the Fundamentals by Kisshomaru Ueshiba and Moriteru Ueshiba and The Aikido Master Course, Best Aikido 2 by Moriteru Ueshiba. Both have been very helpful to me (a newbie) but as reference materials, NOT as primary. They contain countless techniques and descriptions of those techniques, with accompanying "step-by-step" photographs. Sometimes the angles of the photographs change, and that can be a little confusing, and there is very limited information on breakfalls and knee-walking. The books seem written for a person who is having instruction at a dojo and wishes to have some reference materials on the side.

Basically what I do is review the pictures of the techniques I have recently practiced in the dojo. It helps me remember the things I have forgotten (How do I enter? Which foot goes first? What is the overall "shape?" etc). The books have been VERY helpful to me sorting out some basic terminology...(technique names, stances, ura vs. omote). But... I do NOT rely on them for my instruction, especially since I am sure there are variations in how the techniques are applied. I use them as supplements or "study guides" to my instructor's teaching.

I saw Gozo Shioda Sensei's book last time I was at Borders and it appearred to have a lot of basics in it as well. I am planning on purchasing that one in the near future so I can have references on some things, or maybe see if any family members want to get it for me for my upcoming birthday .
Old 12-29-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States

I found the old (1972) Aikido by Kisshomaru Uyeshiba to be one of th best.

Check the library and used books stores.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 12-29-2004, 10:30 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

The phone listing book.

Look up a dojo and go train

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-29-2004, 02:35 PM   #8
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Samah Maalouf wrote:
hello I need your help to find book about learning Akidio include the step by step.
thanks
I posted an annotated bibliography at:

http://aikidojournal.com/forums/view...?p=67150#67150

It's biased, though, and there's a typo or three so beware.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 12-29-2004, 03:51 PM   #9
ali og
Dojo: Southside Dojo
United_States

Hi Samah...While I agree with Bronson (and not because he is my sensei) that actually training can never be replaced by "book learnin'," I have found that C.M. Schifflett's Aikido exercises for teaching and training has some good basic concepts for beginners. For a more philosophical approach, I've read bits and pieces of Saotome sensei'sAikido and the harmony of nature. Both have filled in on questions or fuzzy memory moments for me when I have forgotten the names of techniques that I am learning. Ultimately though, I don't think it is possible to learn a martial art from a book or video because it's all about feel and words can't adequately describe how it feels to lead uke into a technique or when you lose the lead (more often the case for me). Books are great supplements to training....

- al
Old 12-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

If I were to recommend a book I would agree with Allison and recommend the Shifflett book.

The problem with trying to recommend a book with step-by-step techniques is that we have no idea what lineage your practice falls under. Even if we did the variations between instructors of the same style can be significant. The best thing is to ask your instructors if there is a book they would recommend that would be consistent with what is taught in class.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."

Please visit our sponsor:

Cool Rain Productions - Since 1976, the exclusive source for "Aikido in Training" Book/DVD Series