Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-17-2004, 03:42 AM   #1
Ben Joiner
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
Wales
Wink Hello to you all.

Hello to you all,

I have been training since March this year and I'm loving it. I first entered into the martial arts world about 2 years ago after bumping into an old friend who was starting up his own beginers kickboxing class, and he suggested I attend. I knew that it was gonna be quite a challenge physically as I'd pretty much given up sport during uni in favour of beer, but it was getting to that now or never time. In short, I put in the work, got fit, got better, discovered a competative edge I'd all but forgotten about, I even entered a national tournament and lost in the final - dang 'n' blast it. There was something missing though which I couldn't put my finger on. There just didn't seem to be to much to it really, I wanted more.

Another close friend suggested I read Robert Twiggers book 'Angry White Pajamas' about his somewhat robust introduction to Aikido at the home of the Yoshinkan. I was hooked and haven't looked back since. I wandered into the Templegate dojo in Bristol - home of the NAF and signed up straight away. I had been warned that I might find it hard to pick up as the concepts involved are considerably more elusive than the cover up, hit them and don't get kicked in the head that I was used to. Whilst this is true, the size of the club means that there are enough students, and more importantly instructors, for each kyu syllabus to be taught as a discreet class, with the open classes on a Wednesday for all to attend.

It's great I just wish I could find a few more hours in my busy days to train. Have tried getting up for morning training before work but haven't progressed beyond resetting the alarm for 8.00 yet. I look forward to some interesting discussions.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:11 AM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Hello to you all.

Hi Ben

I also dabbled a bit before finding Aikido. I'm in a somewhat less uhm... 'robust' style than the one described in 'Angry white pajamas', but I love it dearly. Just wishes my knee wouldn't act up so much

Anyway - welcome to the forum. Hope you find something you can use.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 12-17-2004, 08:58 AM   #3
akiy

Re: Hello to you all.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your introduction and welcome to the AikiWeb Forums!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com