Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-16-2004, 05:30 AM   #1
nmrmak
Dojo: Shin Ken (Aikikai)
Yugoslavia
Illness and testing

Hi all!

I am currently unranked, and i am supposed to have my 6th kyu test on Sunday, and that's in 3-4 days.

The problem is, I've caught a virus, and have a raised temperature. I am not sure if i will be able to go and have that test. What is the usual practice in such cases? Will there be another testing? Or do i have to wait for six months? If so, do i have to test for two grades?

Thank you in advance,

Nebojsa Mrmak
Old 12-16-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Illness and testing

It depends on the dojo. Ask your sensei.

I think you should accept that you are sick and just wait. I know you will probably be dissapointed but you don't want to perform lousy at a grading, and you should respect your friends and not pass some decease on to them.

Maybe you will be allowed to test once you get back on your feet - but most likely you will have to wait half a year. In the grand scale that's really not that long. Dealing with disapointments is another part of practice, so don't despair - just accept what life brings you.

I hope you get better soon.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 12-16-2004, 06:28 AM   #3
Natasha Bradley
Dojo: Aikido School Leiden

I would get in touch with your teacher and explain the situation, then you may be to take the test when you are well again. Most people are sympathetic if they have been informed about the matter in advance, rather than wondering why you didn't turn up for your test. Even if you can't take the test immediately, if you speak to your teacher, you will at least know what to expect.

Get well soon and good luck with the test (my 3rd kyu test is tonight, help!)
Old 12-16-2004, 11:29 AM   #4
nmrmak
Yugoslavia

Thank you all for your wishes. Oh, and i just realised that there is a forum named "Testing", so thank you for not shouting at me to go there, too . I will call my sensei and talk to him about it.

Good luck with your exam, Natasha!

Thank you all!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #5
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

If you have a fever you are likely contagious. Would YOU want to grab/be grabbed by somebody who knew they were contagious?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-16-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

In 3-4 days?

If you are still sick in that time its pretty serious. I would consider doing the test even if you don't feel in top form.

I'ld also talk to your teacher and ask what he says.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #7
Amendes

Quote:
Nebojsa Mrmak wrote:
Hi all!

I am currently unranked, and i am supposed to have my 6th kyu test on Sunday, and that's in 3-4 days.

The problem is, I've caught a virus, and have a raised temperature. I am not sure if i will be able to go and have that test. What is the usual practice in such cases? Will there be another testing? Or do i have to wait for six months? If so, do i have to test for two grades?

Thank you in advance,

Nebojsa Mrmak

I just tested three weeks ago. I was sick as well. Very sore throat as well as everything else that goes with the flu.
I also had missed 2 days of work including that afternoon. I still tested though, as I surely wasent going to disapoint all the people that helped me get ready for it. I passed with a very decent mark as well, and by the end of the test I felt as if I wasent even sick anymore. Though the next day I rememembered I was. :-P

I recommend going to your test anyways. Don't let a virus stop you.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
giriasis
United_States

I agree with Janet, if you have a fever your probably contagious so would recommend against it. I wouldn't want to be catching someone's flu at a seminar. The occaisional sneeze is one thing but a fever is a sign of something worse than a minor cold.

But also talk to your sensei to see if you can do a make up test after you get better.

Also, I'm one of the those people against training while sick. I came to that opinion based on personal experience. When I first started aikido, I came down with bronchitus because I kept going to class and training with a bad cough and virus instead of taking a couple of days to let myself get better. I ended up having to take two weeks off.

Please don't let "martial art's stoicism" keep you and others from staying healthy.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:46 PM   #9
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Andrew Mendes wrote:
I just tested three weeks ago. I was sick as well. Very sore throat as well as everything else that goes with the flu.
I also had missed 2 days of work including that afternoon. I still tested though, as I surely wasent going to disapoint all the people that helped me get ready for it
This is very irresponsible. How disappointed are they going to be when they are home sick with your virus? What if it is passed onto a family member who is a baby or elderly or otherwise immunosupressed and that person gets pneumonia and dies.
An aikido test, in the grand scheme of things, is NOT that important, people.

Janet Rosen
Old 12-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #10
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

I agree with Janet- You will be doing aikido for a long time. Waiting a few months to test isn't a biggie. It is more disrespectful to your dojo mates to pass on a virus than to bow out of a test due to illness. You'll do a better job of your test if you are feeling well anyhow.
e ya later
Jill.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:10 PM   #11
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

IMHO if you can't test for some reason contact your sensei, explain why (as opposed to just not showing up) and leave it at that. Don't ask for a special testing date, don't ask for a make-up test. Just accept the fact that you'll have to wait and deal with it.

I know an aikido practitioner who was in med. school and whenever testing rolled around it always coincided with some exam he had to take for school. When he explained it to his sensei his sensei responded "Well, maybe next time". This guy practiced for years without ever testing.

You are not special enough to warrant a special test. None of us are

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-16-2004, 05:57 PM   #12
nmrmak
Yugoslavia

First of all, thank you for your advice, everyone!

I spoke with my sensei, and he was very supportive. We agreed that i will go and take the exam if i lose my fever until then. In the end of our conversation, he slipped a: "You'll be well for the weekend".

Of course, if i am contagious i will not attend the testing. The last thing i want to do is to infect someone else, no matter how minor the infection may be.

Quote:
You are not special enough to warrant a special test. None of us are
I won't ask for a 'special' testing, as i realise it would be a bit disrespectful. Testing isn't really that important to me. I mean, even if i had a dan rank, with my knowledge, it would be completely useless. My techniques will not change regardless of my going to this test. I'd just like to know if it's possible to take multiple kyu test in one day.

Thank you,
Mrmak Nebojsa
Old 12-16-2004, 09:29 PM   #13
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Asking for an alternate testing date is not disrespectful - demanding one might be.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-17-2004, 05:30 AM   #14
nmrmak
Yugoslavia

I feel much better today, the fever is gone, and my throat agrees that it seems that i'll be able to test afterall.
Quote:
Asking for an alternate testing date is not disrespectful - demanding one might be.
I can only imagine how uncomfortable it would be for everyone if i were the only testee for that day. I'd rather wait for those six months
Old 12-17-2004, 05:50 AM   #15
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
If its an option the suggestion should come from your instructor..although theres nothing wrong in being open with your desire to grade or enquiring what the options are.

D
Old 12-19-2004, 04:03 PM   #16
nmrmak
Yugoslavia

Just thought i should say this: I passed the exam, and i now own a 6th kyu. I don't feel much different now. I'm all hyper about it . Actually, i can't wait to go to the dojo to see what i have to do for the 5th kyu, and to ask my sensei about the down sides of my techniques. I'm also feeling much better.

Natasha: Did you pass your test?
Old 12-19-2004, 04:46 PM   #17
Janet Rosen

Nebojsa, I'm glad you were well enough to test, and congratulations on passing!

Janet Rosen
Old 12-21-2004, 05:26 PM   #18
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata

Congrats on the 6th. Glad you decided to go, that was going to be my recommendation. From what little I know about viral infections I think the risk of infecting others is greater at the beginning of the illness. And as long as you dont cough or sneeze directly on someone they probably wont catch anything from you. Or, if it's anything like the cold season here, they'll probably catch it from somebody else sooner or later.

Here in Oslo, most people I know have had their turn with colds and influensa. It's borderline epidemic in late november when the weather turns humid and cold. Myself included, I'm recovering from a 2 week mild influensa and am currenty in the coughing stage, where my lungs are the most affected. I still decided to try and grade for the 3rd kyu on monday, encouraged by my sensei because I have been able to train for the last week before. Halfway through I was getting really beat and almost dizzy, and sensei told me to sit down unexpectedly. Full of endorfines and completely focused on carrying through, I was not sure what was going on first. But I complied and he just said: "If your face turns more red now, you're gonna pass out. Sit down and catch your breath." So I was allowed to sit in seiza and do some deep breathing until I was ready to continue.

I'm not going to speak for all dojos, but I think most senseis will take your condition into consideration. And of course, if you feel downright sick and are running a high fever, the best bet is to skip the grading.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 PM   #19
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

Congrats! I'm glad you're feeling better. Back to traiing, 'cause the rank doesn't really matter, your continued growth in life, ability to make good decisions, and aikido do.
e ya later
Jill.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:06 PM   #20
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

You have to choose whether or not to test, but don't let your decision be based on when and if you will be allowed to test again. Even if you are not 100% you could still test. Make a decision then speak with your Sensei regarding your choice.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 12-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #21
nmrmak
Yugoslavia

Thanks everyone!
What i found funny was that there were a lot of people sicker than me So it's probably some mini-epidemic virus, since it's cold here and it was a sudden weather change. My first testing was a great experience. I do realise that it doesn't mean much what kyu i am. What matters is how i perform the techniques, and what my state of mind is.

Quote:
Back to traiing, 'cause the rank doesn't really matter, your continued growth in life, ability to make good decisions, and aikido do.
Well put, i can't wait until tomorow, i really want to go to the dojo and train.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:45 AM   #22
Natasha Bradley
Dojo: Aikido School Leiden

Hi Nebojsa,

Congratulations on passing your test. I am sorry I didn't reply straightaway, I've been busy. Yes, I did pass my test, and now I am allowed to wear a hakama, and go to extra seminars for higher kyu grades, so that's quite cool.

Natasha.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!