Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Mike_J_Rodriguez
Dojo: Aikido Schools of New Jersey/Roselle Park
United_States
Freaky! Tongue Piercing

anyone had any problems training with a pierced tongue? im getting mine done in a couple of weeks and was just wondering.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
ryujin

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States
Re: Tongue Piercing

Other than sounding funny when you talk for the first two or three days it should be fine as long as you keep it in your mouth.

Carl Bilodeau
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō
Renshinkan

"Yield to temptation — it may not pass your way again." - Robert Heinlein
Old 01-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

I don't know. I have a friend at work who has a pierced tongue, he has managed to swallow the pierce on a couple of occasions under normal circumstances. It may not be the best advice to do ukemi and randori with a pierce in. If it comes out , you may swallow it, or it may drop on the floor and someone may tread on it causing injury to their foot. These maybe unlikely scenarios but you owe it to yourself and your dojo comrades to take all reasonable precautions to ensure safety.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
eyrie

Australia

For safety reasons, ALL jewelry (piercings or otherwise) MUST be removed during training.....and I do mean ALL.... earrings, belly button rings, noserings, nipple-rings, tongue, genitalia etc..

Apart from the fact that a piercing interferes with your energy meridians... If you don't understand WHY having piercings is generally a STUPID idea then ask anyone who has had a nipple ring "accidentally" ripped out and later requiring plastic reconstructive surgery.

Out on the street, any piercing I see WILL be used in self defense...

Ignatius
Old 01-13-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

I used to have a pierced tongue when I was a student. It didn't get in the way of my (then) jiu jitsu training. THough I preferred to take the thing out for training. Be warned though, your tongue heals up very fast in the first few months, taking only an hour or so.

Jamming the thing back in can be quite grim (PAIN and eyes watering), if this happens, but I got it to the stage where I could leave it out for work and put it back in with no trouble. I would recommend a plastic retainer stud for training and practice leaving the stud out for increasing amounts of time.

.For the first 2 weeks you'll have the original plastic (cocktail stick) left in, which they'll trim to suit your swollen tongue, so once the swelling goes down, it'll be flapping about in you mouth catching your teeth, so might be prudent to take 1 week off training or until you get the real thing fitted

Got rid of it eventually as I got tired of it being there.

Make sure you stock up on soup, ice cream and mouthwash!

As for training...Just don't stick your tongue out at your training partner!
Old 01-13-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

Bridget, didn't anyone show you the "tongue throw"?... It's not a terribly well known aikido technique but is very useful.

<joke />

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-13-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Ooh, nasty!

Thankfully this was pre-aikido. Reckon the guys at my present dojo would have a field day trying to grab one of those!

Heard a horror story about a friend of a friend with pierced tongue, who woke up one night and thought she had gotten drool all over face and pillow, switched on the light to find...

Grim. Not that I'm trying to put anyone off getting theirs done.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:32 AM   #8
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

I always thought that the chains between the noise and an ear would make perfect grips for irimi nage...

Then again, I know of a few judo players that shave their chest hair to avoid them being ripped as someone throws them.

PS: you know, dyslexia is fun. I read the first word of the last sentence as "grin" not "grim". Or maybe it's just me... *grins evilly*

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
justinm
United Kingdom

on a related topic, anyone else get burns on the forearm from uke's stubble during iriminage??

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 01-13-2005, 10:50 AM   #10
thomas_dixon
United_States

Actually there is one problem with piercing and training if you leave it in. Chipped teeth. I was talking to my dentist and he told me I couldnt' belive how many people come in with chipped teeth from those tounge rings. He couldnt' understand why they wanted to keep them.

I can only assume it won't get any better since you'll be gettign thrown around, literally.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #11
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

Quote:
Justin McCarthy wrote:
on a related topic, anyone else get burns on the forearm from uke's stubble during iriminage??

Justin
I got burns from stubble on a guys head when he did shihonage on me.

Jeanne
Old 01-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #12
Alvin H. Nagasawa
Dojo: YBA/HBAC Honolulu, HI
United_States

Well I heard more negative views on this topic. I would think that the dojos you train at have Rule's during training Aikido. If the Instructor is not aware of the safety issue. He should or the club will be in hot water. All jewelry of any kind should not be worn during class or seminars. One should wear it when he or she is outside of the dojo. But you should be aware of the consequences of severe injury if it's ripped of your body parts. people wear it as a expression of the individuality, I respect that but not in the dojo please.

Lone Wolf of San Jose
Old 01-27-2005, 12:58 AM   #13
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

A colleague of my father once got his weeding ring caught in a pertruding nail on the back of a lorry. Once the vehicle started moving the poor guy was dragged by his finger until it gave way (the finger - not the vehicle nor the ring).

I never wear my wedding ring for practice - mainly because it's in the way when i work with bokken or jo. I can do the techniques with the ring on, but it lessens control of the weapon a little bit and it gives this nasty sound of scratching wood when I slide the jo through the hand.

I second the suggestion to leave ALL jewelry out of the dojo.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 01-27-2005, 09:17 AM   #14
Fred Little
Dojo: NJIT Budokai
United_States

At the NJIT Aikido Club, removal of all jewelry or piercings prior to practice is not a suggestion, it is a basic safety precaution and condition of practice, explicitly including piercings that may not be immediately apparent. That includes my wedding ring; on the one occasion I forgot, a junior student just walked up to me in the middle of class and pointed to my finger. My reply? A "Thank you very much!" and a removal of the ring, which I normally tie into a knot on the hakama's himo that goes inside the hakama. Inside the knot on the pants of the dogi is an alternative for those without hakama.

I still shiver when I remember the university judo class in which I discovered halfway through practice that my partner had a new pair of nipple piercings. I asked him to remove them, he told me that they were new and couldn't be removed until the tissue had healed, I declined to practice with him further. If I recall correctly, the chief instructor subsequently told him to tape them down until they were healed and to remove them as soon as he had medical clearance to do so.

Best,

Fred Little

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com