Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-28-2001, 09:17 AM   #1
The One
Dojo: The Universe
Some people consider Bruce Lee as the greatest martial artist who ever lived...

I have two questions:

1)Does anyone know if he ever looked into or said anything about Aikido?

2)How well do you think you would defend yourself Aikido-wise against an attack from Bruce Lee? What techniques would you think would be most effective as someone with amazing speed, power, and footwork(which gives him almost constant balance)?

Kai
"Feel the pain, feel the joy, of a man... who was never a boy..." - X
Old 03-28-2001, 10:20 AM   #2
jxa127
Wink I can kick Bruce Lee's butt!

You asked:
Quote:
Does anyone know if he ever looked into or said anything about Aikido?
He is reputed to have made some comment about Aikido being the perfect martial art (or maybe he said it was too perfect) after watching O Sensei do some stuff. I'm sure somebody on this board would be able to tell the story better and even tell us whether it's true or not.

Quote:
How well do you think you would defend yourself Aikido-wise against an attack from Bruce Lee?
I can honestly say that I've reached the point in my training where a dead guy will not give me any trouble. :-)

Quote:
What techniques would you think would be most effective against someone with amazing speed, power, and footwork (which gives him almost constant balance)?
Oh, you meant how would I do against him if he were still alive and in good shape. That's easy, he'd kick my butt. :-)

This is just speculation, but it's fun to think about. I'd stay away from techniques like kotageishi and shihonage because I don't think I'd be able to get a handle on Bruce's hands/wrists. That also leaves out ikkyo, nikkyo, etc. Instead, I'd go with kokyo and irimi movements.

-Drew A.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:11 AM   #3
Matt Banks
I have a book by Bruce Lee, and in the book he commented on the flow of aikido, he said it was a good thing.

I reckon I could take out Bruce Lee if he had to close one eye and put one hand behind his back (ha ha).

I think with a guy who has lots of speed, the things you need to use are irimi and/or kokyu tecniques.

Taking on Bruce Lee would be a difficult task, I would laugh at anyone who said that they could take him out, when he was alive.

Matt Banks

''Zanshin be aware hold fast your centre''
Old 03-28-2001, 10:59 PM   #4
Arunabha Sengupta
Dojo: Calcutta Judo Club Dojo
Martial Genius

Whether Bruce was the greatest Martial Artist or not is debatable, but he was a true Martial Arts genius.
I remember reading about Aikido somewhere in his Tao of Jeet Kune Do or some other of his books that I possess.
He was always open to ideas and the underlying philosophy of Jeet Kune Do was to liberate yourself from fixed styles and absorb what is useful from every Martial Art and Philosophy. So, if he had had an exposure to Aikido, I don't have any doubt that he would have incorporated it in his system.
As for using techniques against him, I don't think I would ever be able to do so. However, visualizing an attacker as fast as him, I can think of only irimi nage as something I'll be comfortable with.However, on my good day, kotegaeshi
might just work, as it happens to be my favourite and seems to work effectively against punches.
But, why fight him? There are lot of things to learn from him and that would be the right attitude when facing Bruce Lee.

Avoid rather than Check,
Check rather than Hurt,
Hurt rather than Maim,
Maim rather than Kill
Old 03-29-2001, 05:14 AM   #5
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Quote:
Matt Banks wrote:
[B
Taking on Bruce Lee would be a difficult task, I would laugh at anyone who said that they could take him out, when he was alive.
[/b]
Chuck Norris deated him in a competition once, though.

It'd be interesting if he was still alive.... He'd probably be the toughest arthritis sufferer around after years of his insane training regime.

andrew
Old 03-29-2001, 07:37 AM   #6
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
Red face the greatest ?????

[quote]The One wrote:
[b]Some people consider Bruce Lee as the greatest martial artist who ever lived...

comon

He was a movie star !!!
don't forget !

Just like Tarazan and The Jedy...

Yes, he was well trained and very flexible but he was far from the tytle 'greatest m artist'.

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 03-29-2001, 09:09 AM   #7
The One
Red face Yes, the greatest

Um, I suggest you do a little more research on Mr. Lee before you classify him as simply a "movie star" and put him in the same category as "Tarzan"!?!

Kai
Old 03-29-2001, 11:11 AM   #8
mj
...OK What about Lee against Tyson or Ali? (I mean this in an enlightened, curious way of course, not aggressively )

Old 03-29-2001, 11:49 AM   #9
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Ok, I'll humor this question a bit. Hmmm, Mr. Lee did incorporate some boxing concepts when he developed Jeet Kun Do. Most notable was the incorportation of traditional boxing footwork. Mr. Lee felt that fixed stances were not the way to go and so adopted boxing's less fixed and more "mobile" (for lack of a better term) footwork.

Powerwise, I'm thinking that Mr. Tyson, if he connected a punch, would probably send Mr. Lee into another dimension. Mr. Ali could most likely do the same. Jeet Kun Do focused on not so much the power (although Jeet Kun Do strikes are powerful) but the speed and timing of the attack. Meaning that Mr. Lee would have to connect multiple punches and / or kicks with either of these gentlemen in order to attain the same effect that one of their punches could achieve.

Of course knowing what the outcome of such an encounter like this would be is just like knowing how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop, the world may never know. Have a good day!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 03-29-2001, 12:02 PM   #10
mj
Thanks, it-rentaroo, for humouring me...! It is interesting though, eh? Who else would you be interested in seeing fight Bruce? (Puleez no WWF or anything like that...)

Old 03-29-2001, 12:03 PM   #11
mj
Another dimension. !!! I like that...

Old 03-29-2001, 01:20 PM   #12
NYFE Man
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo
Quote:
mj wrote:
Thanks, it-rentaroo, for humouring me...! It is interesting though, eh? Who else would you be interested in seeing fight Bruce? (Puleez no WWF or anything like that...)
STEVEN SEGAL!!!!

**Ducking & Running**

Al Foote III
Old 03-29-2001, 01:36 PM   #13
mj
OOOH YES!

Old 03-29-2001, 01:53 PM   #14
mj
Seriously, Bruce Lee did say something about Aikido after watching it one time. (I don't know about any other comments he may have made, though.)
He said it needed to 'Lose some form.'
I can almost picture what he saw at the time, too.

Old 03-29-2001, 05:03 PM   #15
The One
No Power!?!

About Bruce having to hit them with a combo before doing the damage of one punch, and him having not that much power?!? I have 3 words for ya:
1 inch punch...

Kai
Old 03-29-2001, 05:06 PM   #16
mj
The One (what?)...
Ypu can do anything with a willing uke...

Old 03-29-2001, 06:29 PM   #17
The One
Mj, are you saying the uke jumped back???

I have no doubt that if Bruce Lee wanted to hit with power he would easily hit harder than Ali or Tyson...

Kai
Old 03-29-2001, 08:08 PM   #18
Dan Hover
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo/Aikido of Greater Milwaukee
United_States
Quote:
andrew wrote:

Chuck Norris deated him in a competition once, though.

andrew
When was this??

Dan Hover

of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong
Old 03-29-2001, 09:33 PM   #19
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA
Quote:
lt-rentaroo wrote:
Hello,
Of course knowing what the outcome of such an encounter like this would be is just like knowing how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop, the world may never know. Have a good day!
Good quote, but you just dated yourself here.
Niadh

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers
Old 03-29-2001, 09:40 PM   #20
Niadh
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido, MA
Quote:
mj wrote:
Who else would you be interested in seeing fight Bruce? (Puleez no WWF or anything like that...)
Rorian Gracie

Non Satis Scire
Niadh Feathers
Old 03-29-2001, 10:06 PM   #21
Arunabha Sengupta
Dojo: Calcutta Judo Club Dojo
Yes, I agree that with his famous one inch punch, Bruce Lee could punch as hard as Ali or Tyson.
As for sending him to another dimension, both Ali and Tyson would have to move really well to touch him - let alone land a punch on him.
Besides, I don't think boxing is a true Martial Art. It is more of a sport, maybe very effective, but as a Martial Art it is extremely limited. I wonder how a boxer would fare against an open, versatile Martial Artist like Bruce Lee.

As for Chuck Norris defeating Bruce Lee, I have never heard of it. Could someone supply me some source of the information?

[Edited by Arunabha Sengupta on March 29, 2001 at 09:09pm]

Avoid rather than Check,
Check rather than Hurt,
Hurt rather than Maim,
Maim rather than Kill
Old 03-30-2001, 02:31 AM   #22
jk
Hello folks:

"Judo" Gene LeBell didn't seem to have much of a problem dealing with Bruce Lee... Here's Gene's account:

http://www.genelebell.com/stories.asp#1brucelee

Heh-heh. Love that pink dogi, too...

Regards,
John Kuo
Old 03-30-2001, 04:04 AM   #23
andrew
Quote:
Arunabha Sengupta wrote:
Yes, I agree that with his famous one inch punch, Bruce Lee could punch as hard as Ali or Tyson.
Having seen the effect of the one inch punch, and having also seen the effect of a heavyweight boxer punching a heavyweight boxer, I have no hesitation in telling you that you're being ridiculous.
I have no doubt Bruce Lee hit very hard, but please have some perspective. Even with a full punch, it'd be extremely surprising if Lee came close to punching as hard as someone like Ali. That kind of farcical statement makes a mockery of his martial arts prowess, because it's actually rooted in his movie star status.

I'll tell you where I got that Chuck Norris story when I remember who told me last year. It's hardly all that surprising, given Norris's competition pedigree. (And larger physical size.)

andrew
Old 03-30-2001, 05:27 AM   #24
crystalwizard
Dojo: Aikido of Dallas
Quote:
andrew wrote:
I have no doubt Bruce Lee hit very hard, but please have some perspective. Even with a full punch, it'd be extremely surprising if Lee came close to punching as hard as someone like Ali.
andrew [/b]
I'm curious why. I guess I just dont understand why, if one person can do something (ali) another one can't do the same thing.

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror
Old 03-30-2001, 07:06 AM   #25
andrew
Quote:
crystalwizard wrote:

I'm curious why. I guess I just dont understand why, if one person can do something (ali) another one can't do the same thing.
It's called genetic diversity- everybody is different. Environment plays a large part too.

Seriously, though... I think it's a bit foolish to assume that a "proper" martial artist can automatically punch more efficiently (struggling for a term there) than a boxer. There's an assumption there that boxers are comparitively unskilled at punching. This is silly, and you're not talking about an "ordinary" boxer either. Ali was seriously tough and seriously skilled and seriously heavier than Bruce Lee. He wasn't just a big guy- he knew how to throw a punch.

I'm sure there was more going through your mind than you put there.... I mean, by that rationale why are we learning Aikido when we could go create our own martial art? What's wrong with all those shihan?

andrew

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!