Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-31-2004, 07:52 PM   #1
Big Dave
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Connecticut
United_States
Aikido for Health

Hi all,
Three years ago, I was diagnosed with advanced stage three cancer. After a year of treatments, which included two surgeries, 6 months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments, I decided that I needed to radically change my lifestyle, attitude, etc. Having cancer is a huge wake up call - I thought that martial arts might be helpful. I investigated a number of styles and decided on two to try - Tai Qi Quan and Aikido. I think these two really complement eachother.
I have now been doing them for one year and truly believe that they have helped me. Tai Qi has taught me how to breathe and relax in ways I never knew possible. Aikido has helped me physically and mentally re-adjust some of my attitudes about life and confrontation. In addition, I lost 52 pounds in one year, which cannot but help my overall health situation. I hope to lose another 40 or so this year. (I started at about 292) While the weight loss is significant, I really feel that the mental benefits of aikido are equally great. I just have this overall sense of well being that I do not remember having at earlier periods in my life. People who have known me many years have seen a profound difference in the way I carry myself and deal with life. (In a positive way)
I am curious if anyone else has had similar kinds of experiences with aikido and /or reasons for doing aikido.
Dave
Old 11-01-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Aikido for Health

Compliments and appreciation. Yes, I was diagnosed with bad knees, shoulders, and disk bulges in the lumbar area. Was told if I stooped I would probably end up bent over and twisted to one side. Fat chance I am going to quit anyway, not. yes, I think the emphasis on posture and fluid motion has changed the way i move. I am certainly in better health and attitude.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
Yokaze

Dojo: Five Dragons
United_States

This kind of thing is always humbling to hear, and very exciting. I'm glad that this art was able to help you cope with and work through your condition. Amazing just how much control the mind really has over the body.

"The only true victory is victory over oneself."

Rob Cunningham
3rd Kyu

Icon courtesy of Norbert Knoll http://www.aikido-verein-hannover.de
Old 11-06-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Big Dave
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
Rob Cunningham wrote:
This kind of thing is always humbling to hear, and very exciting. I'm glad that this art was able to help you cope with and work through your condition. Amazing just how much control the mind really has over the body.
I agree with you completely. I think that we in the West are only just beginning to understand the mind - body connection.
There are many in the cancer community who believe that a proper attitude can have real effects on one's ultimate prognosis.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

The Aikido world is relatively small, and it does'nt take long for people to get t o know each other. The point I'm trying to make is that being part of a community where you're known (from dojo to larger Aikido community) is a very wholesome health inducing thing too.

Jeanne

Please visit our sponsor:

Cool Rain Productions - Since 1976, the exclusive source for "Aikido in Training" Book/DVD Series