Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-28-2001, 01:55 PM   #26
DiNalt
Re: Advice...

Quote:
chrisinbrasil wrote:
[QUOTE}
Ignoring bad elements in hopes that they will go away is great for fairy tales, but not for self-preservation.
I completely agree.
I was bullied aplenty in school, and ignoring the bully and being passive lead to more direct physical attacks.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:12 PM   #27
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
Well the problem has thus ben resolved I think. The resolution thankfully only resulted in three days detention but I got my point across to him. He took a swing at me after gym in the locker room so I irimed and introduced his face to a locker. Not the best move a friend of his came after me from behind but thankfully I aslo had a friend in the area who cut him off before he could get to me well to make it short he threw a few more punches at me landed one (damn it hurt too) after that I irimeid once agan and intorduce my elbow to his gutt effectvly knocking the wind out of him. And now I have three nights detention and he has the same. I do think its over now that he knows I can handle my own. On a side not my friend who intercepted the kid trying to hit me from behind is in the same boat as I . On a down not my jaw is killing me I cant believe i let him hit me hahaha.
Dan
P.S.
Thanks for all the advice from all of the people out.

Dan Hulley
Old 03-28-2001, 07:05 PM   #28
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
Dan-- I'm sorry to hear that it finally came down to violence, but I'm glad to hear that you're okay. I hope that the detentions that you got mark the end of this conflict, and you can get on with your life. If I may ask, why did this kid have a grudge on you in the first place? Any particular reason, or just bullying?

Hoping it's over,

Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 03-29-2001, 07:13 AM   #29
jxa127
Dojo: Itten Dojo -- Mechanicsburg, PA
Ai symbol Alls well that ends well...

Dan,

It sounds like you did okay. Nice use of atemiwaza.

Seriously, I hope our collective advice helped, but the most important thing is to listen to your heart. Glenn Matsuda Sensei from New York once told my class that the only two people who know what's going on in a relationship are the two people in it.

I do feel the need to clarify one piece of advice that I gave. When I suggested you ignore the guy, I was suggesting that you ignore him in a manner that is aware and confident, not submissive. I agree with the other posters that submissiveness can be a problem. However, if you are confident and centered, you can let a lot of stuff slide. And, if action is called for, you'll be moving from a good place.

I'm sorry you got detention, but at least things were resolved without too much fuss.

-Drew Ames

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com