Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-15-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi
My Trousers keep falling down!

To explain - I have two gis (suits), a heavy-weight and a medium-weight. No matter how tightly I tie the trousers, after a couple of ukemis, they're nearly round my knees!

You see, when I trained in Hapkido (a Korean version of Ju-jitsu) 4 years ago, I was slim and athletic in build. I've always been slim. But, since I became housebound in January, I've piled on the weight. I've gone from a 34" to a 42" waist!! All the extra weight is on my gut.

Firstly, is there a fast way to lose that weight (remember I can't go out walking or running). I have weights, a bench and an abs trainer in my flat, but it doesn't matter how many abs crunches I do, I still have a fat gut!

Secondly, now this may sound strange - can you get a pair of braces for MA trousers to stop them falling down? It's very embarrassing. Or are there any good exercises to lose that weight, I could do in the flat?

Seriously,
Iain.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:51 PM   #2
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: My Trousers keep falling down!

Atkin's diet?

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:39 AM   #3
James Giles
Dojo: North Florida Aikikai
United_States

I have that problem with the pants that only have a drawstring. If they have a drawstring AND the elastic band, they stay up no problem. Bujin (www.bujindesign.com) has some nice pants like this. Also, even better, Bujin has some pants with a zipper and a nylon belt instead of a drawstring. These are even better. They don't slip at all.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:53 AM   #4
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Iain,

My supplier in the Uk also provides gi trousers with a drawstring and elastic. I will be putting a new order in in a couple of weeks time, if you want to PM me offline I`m sure that we can sort something out. Incidentally, they sell trousers without the top, so you won`t be forking out for a whole suit, unless you want to.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 10-16-2004, 04:32 AM   #5
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

I just put my own elastic in, its dead easy. But out of interest, Bryan, who is your supplier?

Sean
x
Old 10-16-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

One of the pairs of trousers does have drawstring elastic, but they still fall down!

I'm more concerned about losing the weight on my gut. I can't believe that I've put on 2 stones since January! I hardly eat either! It's simply down to non-activity. Of course, that is a major symptom of Depression.

Thanks anyway for the advice.

Iain.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:41 PM   #7
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
Tongue Re: My Trousers keep falling down!

What the hell?

2 "stones" ?!?!

Get your filfthy british mouth and your made-up units of weight off these forums buddy

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 10-16-2004, 10:44 PM   #8
andylucas
United_States

tie the gi top strings on the left and right side to the ties on your pants left and right where the string is exsposed on the sides. this will make it sort of like a one piece .but if you have a judo gi your out of luck no strings on the top
Old 10-17-2004, 01:49 AM   #9
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

To Nathan,

Excuse me - I meant 12.7kg.

By the way, I am Scottish - not British! What, may I ask is your "native" country?

Answer that one!

And Andy - that sounds like a good idea. I'll try it. Thanks.

Iain.

Last edited by Aikidoiain : 10-17-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:16 AM   #10
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

I still don't understand why my "abs crunches" exercises don't pull in my stomach and lose the fat build up?

In addition to crunches, I use dumbbells for my external obliques, to try and pull in my waist.

Any suggestions?

Iain.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:33 AM   #11
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Iain

Scottish, Irish, and English... I'm a freak of nature =( fortunately no welsh or french to speak of...

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 10-17-2004, 05:03 AM   #12
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

Well that's okay then - at least you know!

I'm a "freak of nature" too, but for different reasons.

Iain.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:02 AM   #13
Paul.H
Australia

"freak of nature"

Humans are designed to be individually different, therefore those that are different are actually quite normal, its those who are the same who are the freaks!! (just a thought)

Personally I don't have a problem with my pants falling down, but I do tie them up tight BELOW MY GUT rather than around my gut. Though I may succumb to elastic yet!!

Losing weight, - sorry Ian, other than improving your diet (you indicated overeating is not your problem) increasing your level of activity is the only other real way to go. On the plus side with this, if you are determined and increase your activity this will more than likely help with any depression etc.

Cheers Paul H.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:07 AM   #14
Paul.H
Australia

Iain,
Apologies for misspelling your name.

Paul.H
Old 10-19-2004, 11:45 AM   #15
Gareth Hinds
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston

Skipping rope is a good aerobic workout you can do in your home (if the ceiling isn't too low, that is).
Old 10-20-2004, 06:11 AM   #16
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

It's a good idea in theory Gareth, but as I live on the top floor of a Glasgow tenement flat with no sound insulation, it would drive my neighbours crazy!

Even a static bike would create too much sound transference.

I'll probably stick to using light weights and doing many reps. Either that, or practicing cuts - once I get a bokken that is! The ceiling is high enough for that.

It's how to lose weight from my gut that's really bothering me. It's not advisable to do too many abs crunches. I can't believe that a year ago, I had a six-pack! I think I already mentioned that I've put on 12.7kg since January! I hardly eat, so I don't know why. Got blood taken recently, and everything's fine - I thought it might have been a thyroid problem.

Thanks anyway,
Iain.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:16 AM   #17
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Hi Iain,

Have you tried upside-down cycling? Lie on your back, roll back so your hips and bent legs are in the air, and pedal!

It has the added benefit that it will help you with the strength and balance you need for ukemi, as well as shedding the excess kilos.

You should be able to do this exercise fairly quietly so it won't disturb the neighbours

Ruth
Old 10-20-2004, 01:46 PM   #18
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

Thanks Ruth!

I never even thought of that!

Iain.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:58 AM   #19
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

Hi everyone!

I got a "mini-stepper", so I can now get some cardiovascular exercise at home. It's also good for strengthening the legs. I've also started endurance weight training. I hope this will also lift my mood somewhat.

Iain.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!