Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Location: Orlando Florida
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 456
Offline
outrageous

This is just outrageous. I tried calling Mr. Seagal to ask him to correct whoever the poster it but I had a bad phone number for him. Can anyone tell this person that Francis Takahashi was most defiantly not a student of Mr. Segal? In fact Takahashi Sensei was head instructor at Chicago Aikikai in 1965 when Mr. Segal was in Junior high I believe. In fact Takahashi Sensei started his relationship with O-sensei and the Ueshiba family and Hombu dojo in 1959 I think that was about the time Mr. Segal was born.

http://www.steven-seagal.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9520

Last edited by Dennis Hooker : 11-20-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Location: Wisconsin
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,218
Offline
Re: outrageous

Onegaishimasu. Outrageous things happen. The Buddha taught that there are three things you can count on coming through: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
Location: Malibu, California
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,295
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Sorry Sensei Hooker I don't want to sign up just to post... However Takahashi Shihan can easily be reached...

Here's his current website and contact info.

http://www.aikidoacademyusa.com/

William Hazen
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
Location: New York
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,302
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Quote:
Dennis Hooker wrote: View Post
This is just outrageous. I tried calling Mr. Seagal to ask him to correct whoever the poster it but I had a bad phone number for him. Can anyone tell this person that Francis Takahashi was most defiantly not a student of Mr. Segal? In fact Takahashi Sensei was head instructor at Chicago Aikikai in 1965 when Mr. Segal was in Junior high I believe. In fact Takahashi Sensei started his relationship with O-sensei and the Ueshiba family and Hombu dojo in 1959 I think that was about the time Mr. Segal was born.

http://www.steven-seagal.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9520
Dennis:

Don't you know that all of have been influenced by Mr. Segal and are therefore "students" of his? For me, it was kind of like Salmonella poisoning... .... .... .... .... .

Regards,

Marc Abrams
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
mickeygelum's Avatar
Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 502
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Outrageous is right!

The post is two and a half years old, on an unofficial/unauthorized website, Mr.Takahashi does not really seem concerned...So, let's get the LAWMAN to hunt down this evil-doer and right this injustice!

(Dialing 9...1...6...err..3....ummm..9) Oops, wrong number...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Location: Orlando Florida
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 456
Offline
Re: outrageous

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
Outrageous is right!

The post is two and a half years old, on an unofficial/unauthorized website, Mr.Takahashi does not really seem concerned...So, let's get the LAWMAN to hunt down this evil-doer and right this injustice!

(Dialing 9...1...6...err..3....ummm..9) Oops, wrong number...
I don't see the relevance in the two year thing, wrong is wrong. I have seen at least one of the efforts Mr. Segal has gone to, to right wrongs done in his name, at leas one act I consider criminal done in his name. In my opinion he was quite justified in his actions. His is considerate of his rep even if many folks are not. Mr. Takahashi is a gentleman and part of the beginning of the history of Aikido in the U.S. He is due his respect also. I am a student of Saotome Shihan and an Aikidoka of 45 years in total and the only way I can see any oversight on wrongs on the monster called the internet to have people involved in certain interests try and police the bull shit themselves.

As for the phone number reference I don't get it.

Dennis Hooker
www.shindai.com

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
mickeygelum's Avatar
Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 502
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Mr. Hooker,

I believe you are over-reacting to an issue that is a common day occurrence.

Most know that the post is erroneous and false, and are chuckling about it. I am sure Mr. Takahashi, who is quite capable of speaking for himself, may have evoked a small chuckle upon reading the post, even in fact if he did at all.

Sir, to demand internet policing, is like trying to halt a rainstorm, it is never going to happen.

Congratulations, for your years of dedication to Budo, I hope you realize many more.

Train well,

Mickey
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
MM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,996
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Hi Mickey,

I had the pleasure of meeting Dennis Hooker at the last Aikiweb seminar. So I know he doesn't need anyone helping him.

Instead, I'll just say I think he's right to ask for it to be changed. There has been enough "altering" of the facts in the history of Aikido that we should be standing up to have the right information out there. Where would we be if not for people like Stan Pranin, who I'm sure took quite a bit of flack when he started digging into Ueshiba's past training in Daito ryu. I'm sure that was like trying to halt a rainstorm ... but he did.

Where would we be without Peter Goldsbury and his TIE columns here? He's presenting Ueshiba in a manner not yet done, some of which doesn't go along with many "myths" and "legends". Again, he's trying to halt a rainstorm and I think he's doing it.

Ellis Amdur is another. A couple more but I won't mention their names.

If it were in my capabilities, I'd help Dennis out. But, I'm far removed from that part of the aikido world. The closest I get to Seagal is watching one of his movies.

But, I wouldn't downplay what Dennis is trying to do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
MM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,996
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Edit time ran out. I meant, "So I know he doesn't need anyone helping him debate the merits of his actions."
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,816
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Instead, I'll just say I think he's right to ask for it to be changed.
Would you be willing to acknowledge that he's asking the wrong people? i.e., us?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
mickeygelum's Avatar
Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 502
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Grettings Mark,

I am not debating or assisting Mr. hooker at all. Honestly, I can not understand the reasoning behind starting the thread here on Aikiweb.

Why would he not just go to the original poster, on the other forum and deal with him directly...no better way to resolve a situation than at it's source.

Just my opinion,

Mickey
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
MM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,996
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Mary and Mickey,

Considering that Aikiweb has, what, 12,000 members, I'd say it's a good place to ask for information or help. It is part of the reason Aikiweb is here, right? I know I keep getting surprised at finding out some of the people who lurk and read here. While I nor you (Mary, Mickey) may be able to help, that still leaves about 11,997 other people. Which in fact, is what's being asked...

Quote:
Can anyone tell this person that Francis Takahashi was most defiantly not a student of Mr. Segal?
I don't see why it isn't a valid thread, question, or topic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
mickeygelum's Avatar
Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 502
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Hi Mark,

You are absolutely correct, assistance should be requested when the situation requires it to be rendered.

I do not see that the other courses of action to resolve this have even been initiated or considered.

I have never subscribed to a mob mentality, therefore, the first and most reasonable course of action would be to address the original poster, on his forum. Inform the original poster of the discrepancy of his information, and provide the verifiable information. I would see that as the proper way to have reconciled this, but that is my opinion.

Train well,

Mickey

Last edited by mickeygelum : 11-23-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Mind moves faster than fingers
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,113
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
Honestly, I can not understand the reasoning behind starting the thread here on Aikiweb.

Why would he not just go to the original poster, on the other forum and deal with him directly...no better way to resolve a situation than at it's source.

Just my opinion,

Mickey
Some thoughts:
Do you know he didn't?
Why not post it to Aikiweb? I mean, if this forum is a place to discuss information on Aikido, why not also discuss cases of misinformation and put it to a large community, some of which might even know the guy/gal?

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
mickeygelum
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member
 
mickeygelum's Avatar
Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 502
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Mr. Gano,

The last post is dated today and is uncannily similar to the original post here...to answer your question, I can not.

But, If one was so infuriated for the "erroneous" information, you think one would not hide behind a nomme de plume. Thus one's lineage, as it is of so much value here, instead of actually skill, would be more credible.

After all the chest puffing is finished , it comes down to one thing...it does not matter.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate honesty.

Train well,

Mickey
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #16
lbb
Location: Massachusetts
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,816
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Mary and Mickey,

Considering that Aikiweb has, what, 12,000 members, I'd say it's a good place to ask for information or help. It is part of the reason Aikiweb is here, right?
No, not really -- not to help with that kind of request. I don't think that Aikiweb, or the internet in general, exists to perform tasks for people that they can (and should) do themselves. It's like some stranger walked up to you on the street and said, "Hey, there's a bunch of broken glass three blocks over!" And when you say, "Oh. That's too bad" (or don't say anything), they say, "Well, aren't you going to go sweep it up?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #17
mathewjgano
 
mathewjgano's Avatar
Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
Location: Renton
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,113
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

Hi Mickey,
Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post
The last post is dated today and is uncannily similar to the original post here...
I'm sorry, but I seem to be missing something. Would you be willing to reiterate this for me?

Quote:
But, If one was so infuriated for the "erroneous" information, you think one would not hide behind a nomme de plume. Thus one's lineage, as it is of so much value here, instead of actually skill, would be more credible.
But who is infuriated and hiding behind a psuedonym?

Quote:
After all the chest puffing is finished , it comes down to one thing...it does not matter.
I agree it's not that big of a deal, but I also agree with the idea that it might be useful to put it to a fairly large community...and since posting on aikiweb is so easy to do...why not give it a try and see if it works? I don't see it as a big deal in either direction. Also, unless we know Mr. Hooker didn't try to contact the misinformed person, assuming otherwise seems presumptive to me.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I appreciate honesty.
Up until now I didn't feel like I was sharing much of my thinking (but I've been wrong on that one before too )...just asking a couple questions I thought might help, but now I feel like I'm probably just muddying things up. Sorry for that.
Take care,
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
Location: Orlando Florida
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 456
Offline
Re: outrageous

Where did all this hostility come from? As for using Aikiweb, just about everyone in the US that does Aikido or is interested in aikido knows about the web and the connection between folks is quite extensive. I have been here from the beginning and have seen the influence it and its members have in the Aikido community. So posting here in the "General" posts was quite reasonable.

My very old friend Francis Tahahashi did think it was rather amusing if not a bit bewildering when he sent it to me. I did not find it amusing. Can't change an old dog you know,

By the way who used a false name and who was chest puffing? I don't get that at all.

As long as we communicate on the net please call me Dennis and not Mr. Hooker if that is OK with you guys.

Yes I believe this is just the place to post such a comment. You of course have your right to disagree and I respect that.

Dennis Hooker ( a funny name but that is my real name)
www.shindai.com

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
CitoMaramba
 
CitoMaramba's Avatar
Dojo: Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui Group Philippines
Location: Plymouth, UK
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 492
Philippines
Offline
Re: outrageous

The discussion board referenced in the original post has this latest entry (http://www.steven-seagal.net/forum/s...218#post200218)

Quote:
Francis Takahashi was a student before Segal was born
What an outrageous error. Do errors like this help anyone?
Francis Takahashi was most definitely not a student of Mr. Segal.
In fact Takahashi Sensei was head instructor at Chicago Aikikai in 1965 -when Mr. Segal was in Junior high school believe.
In fact, Takahashi Sensei started his relationship with O-sensei and the Ueshiba family and Hombu dojo in 1959, about the time Mr. Segal was born.
Last edited by Glen Grey; 22-Nov-2009 at 10:32 AM.
This was posted by a user named "Glen Grey".
I hope this makes things clearer.. If not.. my apologies.

Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
Dangayan Singkaw Aikido Shinzui
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
James Davis
 
James Davis's Avatar
Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
Location: Ft. Myers, FL.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 716
United_States
Offline
Re: outrageous

I appreciate it when BS is called to my attention and, although I can not, I'm pretty sure that someone on aikiweb knows someone who can help fix this. I agree that aikiweb was a good place to make people aware of this.

I guess the proverb was right; the nail that sticks out really does get pounded down.

Thank you, Sensei Hooker.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #21
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Location: Wisconsin
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,218
Offline
Re: outrageous

Onegaishimasu. I would also like to extend thanks to Dennis Hooker sensei for bringing this outrageous post to the aikido community's attention. Communication and unity is pretty important, especially as the art of aikido gets assimilated into mainstream society.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido of Northern VA Seminars - Doran-sensei in Northern Virginia, March 2015



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate