Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-03-2004, 01:29 AM   #1
xernaut
Dojo: NOLA Aikido
United_States
Greetings from Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Hi!

I am new to aikiweb forums, and new to my birthtown of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I am here for at least four months, and potentially longer, and in major withdrawal from Aikido. I pray some others are lurking around aikiweb who have either practiced Aikikai Aikido before or are interested in trying. I started a dojo in Shreveport where I lived several years ago (now called the Golden Light Aikido Center), and have for the past several years been practicing in Sweden with two Jorma Lyly Sensei and Jan Nevelius Sensei, two students of Endo Sensei and Tissier Sensei, as well as Noel Sensei and the daito-ryu master Okamoto Sensei.

I am VERY interested in continuing my practice together with others in love with the art of harmony. Please get in touch. We'll find some access to some mats, and get started.

Thanks for making contact,

Brian Levy, shodan, Aikikai

p.s. I know there was once an ASU dojo here in Baton Rouge at a sports center here, run by a husband and wife, I believe? If any of the students once part of that dojo are still around and wanting to start something up again...
or anyone else?
Old 10-03-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Greetings from Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Hi Brian,

Welcome to AikiWeb and back to the sunny south.

If you're ever passing through Montgomery, AL, please stop in to train.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 10-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Robyn Johnson

United_States

Hi Brian!

Welcome to Aikiweb and back to the state of LA! If you ever drive down to New Orleans, feel free to visit our dojo and train with us. There is actually a man in my class who has been driving down from Baton Rouge twice a week for 2 years or more to participate in our class.

We're located at 3848 Veterans Memorial Blvd. Metairie, LA 70005. Classes are Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings, if you're interested.

Robyn
Old 10-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
gibsonsensei
Dojo: Tupelo Aikikai
United_States

Hi Brian! Try this I found it the other day.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShreveportMartialArts/
Old 10-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
cguzik

Hey Brian!

Welcome back... Plan on making it back to Tulsa anytime soon?
Old 10-03-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
xernaut
United_States

Thanks, Greg.
I will certainly do that if I am in Montgomery sometime. I have a cousin who lives there...

Cordially,

Brian
Old 10-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #7
xernaut
United_States

Do you guys have a website Robyn, which I could check out? I might be able to make it down from time to time to practice.

Thanks for replying to my query!

Brian
Old 10-03-2004, 10:20 PM   #8
xernaut
United_States

Thanks, William.
Actually thats my friend and fellow dojo-founder in Shreveport Bill Ross' yahoo group.
I meant to emend my posting of yesterday and say that it was myself Bill, and Nancy Guillet who founded Aikido of Shreveport, which later became Golden Light Aikido Center. We were part of the Intl Aikido Association under Bill Sosa Sensei, and the dojo is now part of The Society of Aikido Centers under Sosa Senseis student Lynn Fabia Sensei, based out of Dallas.

Anyway, it feels great to be getting some tips and responses to my post, and I appreciate your writing.

Brian
Old 10-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #9
xernaut
United_States

Hi Chris!

Yes! Actually I almost made it to class at Aikido of Tulsa last week. Had spoken with Mike, but then I got sick and had to return to La. to recover. Just stomach bug of some sort, but was miserable a day or two.

Will be back in Tulsa in about two weeks, so hope to see you on the mat on a Tuesday eve in Tulsa then!

Best,

Brian
Old 10-04-2004, 11:15 AM   #10
Natasha Bradley
Dojo: Aikido School Leiden

Hi Brian,

It's great to hear from someone who has trained in the styles of Endo Sensei and Tissier Sensei. My teacher also trained with Endo Sensei. Unfortunately Endo has not been back to the Netherlands since I joined the dojo. Our affiliation follows Tissier Sensei's style and I love it, but I must say I have not tried any other styles.

Natasha.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 AM   #11
akiy

Hi Brian,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction!

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-04-2004, 03:14 PM   #12
Robyn Johnson

United_States

Quote:
Robert Brian Levy wrote:
Do you guys have a website Robyn, which I could check out? I might be able to make it down from time to time to practice.

Thanks for replying to my query!

Brian
Hi Brian!

Yes, we do have a website but it hasn't been updated for maybe 5 years! I'm not even in the picture, in fact, as it was "before my time". The little bit of info given about our style, instructor, class times, & address are all the same BUT the contact phone number and e-mail address are different now. I'm the new contact for our dojo. Send me an e-mail at aikikitty@cox.net if you want to come visit us.

Robyn
Old 10-04-2004, 03:36 PM   #13
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

Quote:
Robert Brian Levy wrote:
Thanks, Greg.
I will certainly do that if I am in Montgomery sometime. I have a cousin who lives there...
Hi Brian,
If you come to vist your cousin, if you'll give me some heads-up, I'll arrange something fun with the dojo crowd.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 10-04-2004, 07:48 PM   #14
David Wilson
Dojo: Heiwashin Ryu Jujutsu
United_States

Greetings,

If you are interested, there is a traditionally-based Jujutsu Dojo, located here in Baton Rouge. You can check out our website at www.heiwashin.org. Our curriculum parallels Aikido closely, although tending strongly towards the original jujutsu techniques which inspired the Aikido versions. We also focus on Ukemi every class, for the protection of the students.

Feel free to email me and/or the head instructor, Robert Carver, if you have any further questions. His address can be found at the website listed above. The dojo is nonprofit, and if you are a member of the YMCA it will only cost you $5 a month to attend.

I am very sorry if I am intruding on your site, since this is not truly Aikido-based, but I have been a lurker on this site since I started in my dojo almost three years ago and could not find any substantive jujutsu-oriented information on the web. This board has been very helpful to my learning of jujutsu and I was hoping that I could offer some help in return for once.

Thank you for listening, and I hope that we are able to train together some time, Mr. Levy.

Dave Wilson
Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 PM   #15
xernaut
United_States

Thanks, Dave!

I will come by and visit later this week. I appreciate the reply and friendly offer.

Best,

Brian
Old 10-05-2004, 04:12 AM   #16
kocakb
Dojo: Burhan Felek Sport Center-Istanbul
Turkey

Welcome to aikiweb Robert,
wish you everything best from a sunny Istanbul day...
B.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:33 AM   #17
David Wilson
Dojo: Heiwashin Ryu Jujutsu
United_States

I look forward to meeting you, Brian. Class starts at 7:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you come around 7:15 I can chat with you a bit before class starts, in between helping with the kid's class. You can't miss me--I'm the only brown belt in the class.

Dave Wilson
Old 10-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #18
Shane Mokry
Dojo: Mokurin Dojo
United_States

Hey Brian,

You can come visit our dojo anytime. I live in Jena, LA. I work offshore so classes run every other week. If you contact me I'm sure I can get you here when I'm home. It's about a 2 hour drive from Baton Rouge. Also, I may be down your way in the NO/BR area next month showing one of our teachers from Phoenix a good time. Maybe we can meet up then.

Good luck!

Shane

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!