Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-22-2004, 02:01 PM   #1
ecollander
United_States
Hello from Oberlin

Hello all.
I have been reading with great interest many topics on this forum, and have gotten the impression that each and every one of you are very fine people.
I am/was 1st Dan Tae Kwon Do, but haven't studied/practiced in roughly 5 years due to bicycle racing (which takes up a substantial amount of time during racing season).
I am eager to get back into the study of MA, and Aikido seems to fit me perfectly philosophically (I hate confrontation and to end it I would rather not smash someone's face in with a roundhouse!) Plus, I very much enjoy the spiritual side to the arts.
So anyway, hello to all and I can't wait to start learning.
Eric
p.s. if anyone has any experience with the Dojo in Oberlin, Ohio, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
akiy

Re: Hello from Oberlin

Hi Eric,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction. As for the dojo at Oberlin College, I know at least several alumni from there who have continued their aikido training after graduating. I also met Frank Hreha sensei who used to teach there back in February. It's a good group from what I can tell...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-22-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Hi Eric,

Welcome, and thank you for your introduction. As for the dojo at Oberlin College, I know at least several alumni from there who have continued their aikido training after graduating. I also met Frank Hreha sensei who used to teach there back in February. It's a good group from what I can tell...

-- Jun
Hreha is one of my favorite seminar presenters, fwiw.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 09-22-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
Tharis
Dojo: Chicago Aikikai
United_States

I trained there for three years, and am now training with Cleveland Aikikai. As Oberlin is where I got my start in MA, I'm biased, but I think it's a great place to train, and the seminars are amazing (and free if you're an ExCo student or Club Member). I know all the instructors personally, and they all rock.

Yours in ukemi,

Thomas
Old 09-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel

Hi Eric,
Hope you'd enjoy Aikido as much as you enjoyed TKD.
I don't know the dojo you're talking about but just wanted to welcome you.
My sister learned TKD for about 6 years and now also thinks of moving to Aikido.
enjoy training!
Anat