Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Humor

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-20-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
taras
United Kingdom
Aikido on a wasp

I've been camping last weekend with a group of friends. I went into our food tent and noticed a wasp. A minute later I felt a sting on my hand, lifted it to have a look and saw the wasp sitting on my finger. Now, I AM NOT KEEN ON WASPS AT ALL, so I started shaking my hand (tekubi shindo undo), I had a drink in my other hand.

When I got out of the tent I noticed that the sting was sticking out of my finger about a 1 cm. My friend pulled it out, it was nearly 2 cm long all together!

I remembered a samurai writing where it says that you can let the enemy cut your sking in order to cut his bone. Well, at lest that wasp will never sting anyone again!
Old 09-20-2004, 12:03 PM   #2
Atomicpenguin
Re: Aikido on a wasp

Little out of context, but here's an O-Sensei quote:

Put the active principle (yo) into the right hand
Turn the left into the passive (in)
And so guide the adversary.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
Atomicpenguin

Quote:
Well, at lest that wasp will never sting anyone again!
So you killed the wasp? You make it sound like the wasp was an enemy of humankind that runs around stinging people.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
Suru
United_States

Wasps/hornets/yellow jackets are some of my least favorite insects. They have two modes: (1) building a nest, (2) really pissed off. If you're dealing with a nest, Hot Shot works well (sprays about 20 feet) or you can scald them with hot water. Just keep in mind that once you start spraying them with poison, they will switch into really pissed off mode!

Drew
Old 09-20-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

I find that given the extreme thinness of the limbs; nikkyo works quite well against wasps. Sankyo's not too great; since the claw tends to come off in your hand and dismemberment tends to annoy ukes. Overall if applying aikido against a wasp; I advise against techniques that turn ukewasp's back to you - for obvious reasons.
Clearly; any zempo is out of the question as well; since it just gives uke sufficient airspeed for takeoff.
Kaitenage is good; since getting one of its arms behind its back will also trap the wings.
I'd also advise against any atemi or fake to the eyes; it's almost certain to fail - the wasp's got about 10,000 of 'em; it can afford to lose a few.
Also keep in mind that when facing a wasp it's entirely likely you'll be facing the whole bloody nest; so get ready for some serious randori - they might be only an inch long; but 1000 on one is still 1000 on one. If this situation occurs; I recommend a jo.
In order to give enough speed and reaction (and pain tolerance) to bash the little buggers; I recommend doing an 8-ball of coke as well.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:04 PM   #6
shihonage
United_States

Hey guys, one day I was walking (Japanese call it feetmove-undo), and I saw this old lady with a knitting needle and I thought, that knitting needle is just like a sword and the old lady is a Samurai !

That is so much like Aikido ! OMG LOL ROFLMAO

Old 09-20-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
thomas_dixon
United_States

...he wasp woulda died anyway because it stung you...

lmfao...it's ass was torn off..how could it live?
Old 09-20-2004, 05:56 PM   #8
Suru
United_States

DaveO,

That cracked me up.

Drew
Old 09-20-2004, 06:46 PM   #9
Devin McDowell
Dojo: RA Centre
Canada

Wasps sting repeatedly, and pull the stinger out of the victim each time. Bees are the insects that leave it in.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:54 PM   #10
Atomicpenguin

Dave O.: Very funny.
Quote:
Hey guys, one day I was walking (Japanese call it feetmove-undo), and I saw this old lady with a knitting needle and I thought, that knitting needle is just like a sword and the old lady is a Samurai !
Um, k.
Quote:
...he wasp woulda died anyway because it stung you...
It's bees that die when they sting. As I understand it, wasps can do so repeatedly without harm.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:28 AM   #11
thomas_dixon
United_States

if it's sting was in his finger, that means it was torn out, hence the death...honeybees die after 1 sting regardless though
Old 09-21-2004, 12:37 AM   #12
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Quote:

Um, k.
Just ignor him, he likes to ruin other peoples fun. :P

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 09-21-2004, 01:02 AM   #13
taras
United Kingdom

It was only the sting that came off, not the whole back bit of the body, so the wassp would have lived for a while at least (until it met another insect - can imagine that: hey, what are you trying to do to me, get off me, butty boy!).
Old 09-21-2004, 01:13 AM   #14
shihonage
United_States

Quote:
Nathan Gidney wrote:
Just ignor him, he likes to ruin other peoples fun. :P
Blasphemy !
Given the dire lack of either "fun" or "sanity" in this thread, I only did it a favor.

Mind you, my contribution wasn't stellar, but at this point, anything that is not related to wasps and Aikido, or interrelating wasps and Aikido, is a step in the right direction
Old 09-21-2004, 02:24 AM   #15
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mind you, my contribution wasn't stellar, but at this point, anything that is not related to wasps and Aikido, or interrelating wasps and Aikido, is a step in the right direction
I've now decided to dedicate myself to writing a book called "The Aikido of Wasps." When it's done i'll send you a free copy, and by free i mean "I'll charge your credit card without you knowing because i can't afford to give out free coppies"

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 09-21-2004, 02:42 AM   #16
shihonage
United_States

Quote:
Nathan Gidney wrote:
I've now decided to dedicate myself to writing a book called "The Aikido of Wasps." When it's done i'll send you a free copy, and by free i mean "I'll charge your credit card without you knowing because i can't afford to give out free coppies"
(commits seppuku with his credit card)
Old 09-21-2004, 03:05 AM   #17
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

I want video proof! Anyway, everyone knows that the golf club membership card is the only true instrument of seppuku for the modern samurai. Tut tut Aleksey, I'll have to ding you for improper use of blood-letting tools again...
Old 09-21-2004, 03:30 AM   #18
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Aleksey S wrote:

That is so much like Aikido ! OMG LOL ROFLMAO

Unless the old woman was a crazed nutter and liked to poke passers by with her needle, then she would be like the wasp.

What purpose do wasps serve anyway? It's not like they make honey or anything.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:15 AM   #19
Matt Molloy
Dojo: Azami Kai
Scotland

Quote:
Bridget Chung wrote:
What purpose do wasps serve anyway? It's not like they make honey or anything.
To the best of my knowledge, as the predators/carnivores of the insect world, they help keep the population of insects under control. A place for everything and everything in its place. Attack them and you could be making a bit of a rod for your own back.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:16 AM   #20
Matt Molloy
Scotland

*Shakes head.*

Man I sounded pompous in that last post. Forgive me please.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:22 AM   #21
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

That's OK. You are forgiven.

Actually I heard that the darling lil' creatures make pheromones which summon their friends if you hurt them. Doesn't stop me though.

Also, I have paper lampshades at my house and they always seem to hide on or inside them. So I have to be very careful so as not to destroy the lampshade with the swatter. So far, I have only destroyed 1 lampshade in 3 years.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:31 AM   #22
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Yeh, I got stung about 100 times doing orienteering once because I swotted one on my body. I got completely swarmed! Just to sound even more pompous than Matt; there are many types of wasps, but they are usually parasitic - they inject the eggs of their young into other insects and the young hatch and eat the insects from the inside out - nice. What can aikido do about that type of attack!? eh? eh?

- Bridget, is this swatting wasps without damaging lampshades thing a new method of training?

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-21-2004, 06:33 AM   #23
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Come to think of it maybe Taras was parasitised and he is blissfully unware of his grusome end?

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 09-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #24
Matt Molloy
Scotland

Quote:
Bridget Chung wrote:
That's OK. You are forgiven.
Aw, thanks.

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
Yeh, I got stung about 100 times doing orienteering once because I swotted one on my body. I got completely swarmed! Just to sound even more pompous than Matt; there are many types of wasps, but they are usually parasitic - they inject the eggs of their young into other insects and the young hatch and eat the insects from the inside out - nice. What can aikido do about that type of attack!? eh? eh?
Prepare us for the pain. See "Angry White Pyjamas."

Quote:
Ian Dodkins wrote:
- Bridget, is this swatting wasps without damaging lampshades thing a new method of training?
What do you think O'Sensei was doing when he was swinging a bokken around. Get enough accuracy with that thing and wasps become a thing of the past and your lampshades are never touched.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:56 AM   #25
thomas_dixon
United_States

Thats why i keep my own personal yamata no orochi...