Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-18-2004, 08:45 AM   #1
parrothead2581
United_States
Aikido Injuries

Hello friends,
I will be completing a master's degree in Public Health Education next May and hopefully become involved in the realm of athletic injury prevention. I hope to begin studying Aikido in January (barring a hectic class schedule). My question to everyone is, what injuries concern you the most? What are the most common injuries you see in Aikido dojos? And finally, what do you feel are the most preventable injuries that? Thank you friends.

Brian
Old 09-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States
Re: Aikido Injuries

Most frequent injuries: Wrist injuries....over stressed tendons and ligaments.

Most preventable injuries: Neck or shoulder injuries, usually from falling or rolling incorrectly.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 09-18-2004, 07:19 PM   #3
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

Hi Brian:
I have been working in Public Health for over 20 years (as a nurse). Anyhow, regarding injuries seen most:

from personal experience:
Rotator cuff injuries, broken toes from getting caught in crevices, or stuck on wrestling mats, and knee problems. Some are caused by staying on the mat when you are dead tired in a seminar but too "into it" to stop.when you should.
Also:
Check out Janet Rosen's article:

http://www.zanshinart.com/Aikido/Wri...ml#dojosizeage

e ya later
Jill
Old 09-19-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States

I've only been doing this for 14 months but all my injuries were from doing something incorrectly. It took me 8 months to do forward rolls without driving my shoulder into the mat. Everything eventually worked itself out but I had to restart learning rolls at about 5 months. It was a real conflict between ego and reality.
My advice, which is only good for people exactly like me, is to ignore your testosterone and walk -and especially roll - on eggshells for the first 6 months.
And don't confuse pain with injury. I still hate nikkyo because it hurts sometimes but it's only temporary.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Dan Guthrie wrote:
I've only been doing this for 14 months but all my injuries were from doing something incorrectly. It took me 8 months to do forward rolls without driving my shoulder into the mat....roll - on eggshells for the first 6 months.
What he said.

By far the most injuries to beginners that I've seen have been to the shoulders incurred during forward rolls. Several of the individuals were overweight and middle-aged.

Some instructors push folks to do forward rolls from standing the first day. Don't let them do it to you.

If an instructor puts you into a randori--multiple attack practice--maintain your head. It's real easy to get carried away with all the motion and limbs flying and ignore your relative incapacities. I've seen beginners put in this position from "an old school" teacher and get hurt.

Other than that, follow/solicit tutoring on how to falls from your teacher and seniors.

Good luck.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 09-20-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States

Injuries: wrist and rotators.

Preventable: all the above.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:06 AM   #7
David_francis

Dojo: St Ives Aikidojo
United Kingdom

mat burns.....

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com