Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
aikidofan
yoseikan aikido history

I understand that Minori Mochizuki learnt various martial arts such as judo in addition to judo. Can someone tell me more about this.

For instance he was in China in the early 1940's and apparently learnt some chinese martial arts. Is this true?
Old 09-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
Re: yoseikan aikido history

Check out this link:

http://www.yoseikanbudo.com/eng/minorumochizuki.shtml

Osu!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #3
phil farmer
Dojo: Nacogdoches
United_States

Minoru Mochizuki held 59 Dan rankings at the time of his death in May of 2003. He practiced kendo, jo, iai, kenjutsu, aikido (more correctly aikijutsu), goku shin ryu jiujitsu, judo, shotokan, katori shinto ryu and even more. Until his death he was the last student who trained directly with Kano, Ueshiba, and Funikoshi.

Yes, when he was in China he learned from Chinese martial arts, a practice his son, Hiroo Mochizuki has continued in Yoseikan Budo. The man learned from every one and tried to make one system out of it. That is what made him unique and it is what he charged his son with in 1958, to find the principles to bring the various arts together into one system. Hiroo Mochizuki has done that and his father confirmed that for him a few years ago and gave his approval. The Yoseikan Budo that you can see around the world today in the Yoseikan World Federation, is that system. It has been in the making since 1931, when Minoru Sensei started his own school, in part because he saw Ueshiba's aiki as becoming too spiritual and not martial enough.

There is much more history, unfortunately much of it is in French or other languages. If I can answer more questions, feel free to ask.

Phil Farmer
Old 11-24-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
Dominic Toupin
Canada

Mr. Farmer

Can you describe your shodan exam program ? I just want to compare it with my shodan program here in Quebec.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2004, 09:55 AM   #5
phil farmer
United_States

Sure Dominic,

By shodan we expect the student to do all soto and uchi nigiri ho, all areas of tai sabaki, te hodoki, and nigiri keishi. We expect that they can demonstrate all parts of ken tai ichi no kata and jutsuri no kata. Additionally, they must demonstrate a variety of koshi waza, ashi waza, ashi dori, and emono dori against all available weapons (Dr. Pack, the technical director has been known to throw ropes, wooden guns and a few other weapons into the mix, just for fun you know). They must also be able to demonstrate ten different sutemi, the most basic ones. Finally, they must demonstrate skills from Yoseikan World Federation requirements that include two atemi kata (happo ken shodan and nidan) kyoei randori, kumi uchi, and knowledge of all forms of padded weapons (the various competition skills with kombo, tambo, and tchobo in addition to sparring without weapons). They are now required to wear the Blue and white uniform of the Yoseikan World Federation for their test. Dr. Pack and a testing board of ranking Teachers conduct the test and it usually takes from four to ten hours of actual testing to complete the test.

We are currently reviewing the curriculum and developing the skills to be included from the Yoseikan World Federation so that the new material is included across the entire curriculum. Hope this helps. We do test more often than you might be used to. In our association, Teachers of NIdan or higher rank and promote students to the ikkyu level. All shodan tests are under the direct supervision of the technical director.

Phil Farmer
Old 11-24-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
Dominic Toupin
Canada

Thank you Mr. Farmer,

Your shodan test are use to promote student in Yoseikan Budo or Yoseikan Aikido ? I mean when I did my exam for my shodan in Yoseikan Budo I did :

Atemi Waza
Osae Waza
Kansetsu Nage
Kihon Atemi
Te Hodoki
Tai Sabaki
Happo Ken (shodan, nidan, sandan, yodan) in demonstration and with application in Jiu-Jitsu and karate
Tanto Happo
Ken Kata
a kata with a tambo that I do not remember by name
all the padded weapons in a fight
a judo fight
a Yoseikan Budo fight
A fight without gi
A grappling fight

Maybe It was an old curriculum ??
Old 12-01-2004, 10:25 AM   #7
phil farmer
United_States

Nope, Dominic, you have described the process rather completely.

Phil Farmer

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.