Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 02:33 AM   #1
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States
Why does it matter?

I recently put a Kerry sticker on my car support my decision in the 2004 election. Now, in Iowa, you see a ton of stickers for Bush. But, I have already had numerous people complain to me/confront me for the sticker on my car. I think this is ridiculous. I have never criticized someone because of what stickers are on their ride. I think if you have the right to support the president, then you should also have the right to oppose him. Thats what makes America great. I like Kerry's ideals better, so why should I vote for Bush? Simple, I shouldn't. Same thing if someone feels the same way about Bush. I just like to see people vote an
d actually care for the process.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Jeff Stallard
Dojo: Circle of Harmony / Columbus, Ohio
United_States
Re: Why does it matter?

I'm sure everyone agrees that you have the right to display a Kerry sticker. However, since the sticker is a public statement communicated to everyone who reads it, isn't it fair to let the readers respond?

"If I told you, you would not know; you simply would have been told. Study it thoroughly and I will ask you. You will answer and then you will know."

Old 09-04-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States

Freedom of speech=Just watch what you say! Ice-T.

Old 09-05-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
MitchMZ
United_States

By confront I mean yelling at me. I'm just taking it off and going back to being nuetral! LOL

Old 09-05-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
vanstretch
United_States

smart move- he's gonna lose anyway.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:35 PM   #6
MitchMZ
United_States

No doubt he is. I was thinking about putting all the stickers on my car just to confuse people. Honestly, I don't think it really matters who gets in office because they are all corrupt and I'll never see any real changes at my level in society anyways. I just hope to God civil liberties don't take any more damage than they have in the past years. But, that is reflective of people giving their rights away and not even knowing it, not the government taking them. At least I know how the system works and can take advantage of it...but that doesnt mean I have to like it! haha

Last edited by MitchMZ : 09-05-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:09 AM   #7
vanstretch
United_States

your right mitch, you are right! take care.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:20 AM   #8
MikeFTrevino
Dojo: Aikido at The Center
United_States

Quote:
daniel vanhee wrote:
smart move- he's gonna lose anyway.
Just like Gore lost . . . .won . . . no lost?

Old 09-06-2004, 03:42 AM   #9
Thomas Ambrose

United_States

I would consider putting a sticker up... but come two months from now, it will all be decided so why bother?

Plus I am getting a new car soon, and I wouldn't want to get any "bumper-stick-goo" on it . Maybe I should just get a little button to wear on my back-pack.

On a related note, I am going to go see John Edwards speak tomorrow. He is going to be in Kalamazoo, MI.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:11 PM   #10
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Normally, I'd agree with you: it doesn't really matter WHO gets elected. Even IF Kerry wins the Presidentcy: I am sure that we'll see abuses of Administrative power, and end-runs around int'l law. Certainly, he's all about continuing an illegal--and immoral--occupation.

But, BushCo is different from your average collection of Republican's: they are extremists. They would like to take America back to the good ole' days of the 19th Century, with no unions, worker-safety or environmental laws, and (probably worst of all) no distinction between conventional or nuclear weapons.

The saddest thing of all is how many ppl view this election as some kind of popularity contest...Kerry parts his hair funny, he's "not as 'likeable' as Bush," etc. They view Presidents as some kind of brand-name, for soda. It's a sad commentary on the US body-politic.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:09 PM   #11
MitchMZ
United_States

I'd have to agree with you. What about the enviroment? That seems to be a lost question these days.

Old 09-06-2004, 08:37 PM   #12
vanstretch
United_States

What i like about the fact that Bush will be re=elected is that there is a change commin round. And it is the end of all this PC era non-sense. Bush(like him or not), speaks from the heart, yet does not care what these liberal left-winged thumb-sucking crybabies(hi Neil), have to say. The leftwingers are the instigators, these critics are raising their flaccid wings and trying to attack the very person they should be supporting. The President who is bringing the war to those that violently lashed out at us in New York City. It was a little thing, maybe you remember called SEPT11th. You know, when those hijacked aircrafts took down over 3000 of our countrymen and struck into a Federal Office Bldg. I like Bush because he is not apologetic,speaks his mind, and just so happens to be right on with what we have to do in dealing with our mortal foes- Crush Islamic Jihad into fertilizer!

Old 09-06-2004, 08:46 PM   #13
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

Quote:
Mitch Kuntz wrote:
I'd have to agree with you. What about the enviroment? That seems to be a lost question these days.
Yes, you have a good point, too. There are a LOT of lost questions going on, these days.

Darfur and genocide, anyone?? Hello??

Haiti, and the Aristide "regime-change?"

"No Child Left Behind (and not, apparently, funded, either)?

To say NOTHING of this miserable, and folly-filled, occupation.

The longer we sit there, the worse it will be.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:06 PM   #14
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan
Freaky! Re: Why does it matter?

Quote:
daniel vanhee wrote:
What i like about the fact that Bush will be re=elected is that there is a change commin round. And it is the end of all this PC era non-sense. Bush(like him or not), speaks from the heart, yet does not care what these liberal left-winged thumb-sucking crybabies(hi Neil), have to say. The leftwingers are the instigators, these critics are raising their flaccid wings and trying to attack the very person they should be supporting. The President who is bringing the war to those that violently lashed out at us in New York City. It was a little thing, maybe you remember called SEPT11th. You know, when those hijacked aircrafts took down over 3000 of our countrymen and struck into a Federal Office Bldg. I like Bush because he is not apologetic,speaks his mind, and just so happens to be right on with what we have to do in dealing with our mortal foes- Crush Islamic Jihad into fertilizer!

Yeah!
PC's way worse than the Patriot Act!
(If you didn't spot any sarcasm here, then Dubya will happily accept your vote...)

PS: foaming at the mouth is never pretty...

Old 09-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #15
akiy

Hi folks,

SInce I can't say I've ever seen a political discussion in an aikido discussion group on the Internet not create divisive rifts among people, I'm going to close this thread before it goes that far.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Closed Thread