Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-05-2004, 10:09 AM   #1
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Backhand?

'Lo all!
I've got a quick question:
Although we don't use it in 'official' training at our dojo; I use a backhand attack frequently in private and personal training. It provides a unique energy vector to train for; quite a fun one too.
There is also of course the realism value of the backhand.
My question is; though out style (shin shin) doesn't use it; do any other styles have specific backhand attack that uke uses? If so; does it have a proper name in Japanese?
Thanx.
Cheers!
Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Backhand?

Quote:
Dave Organ wrote:
'Lo all!
I've got a quick question:
Although we don't use it in 'official' training at our dojo; I use a backhand attack frequently in private and personal training. It provides a unique energy vector to train for; quite a fun one too...Cheers!
Dave
In Ki-Aikido there is a "back hand strike" used in a kokyu nage that is normally done as a no-touch throw. Of course I was told that it was not a back hand because:
  1. You roll the back of the hand over the uke's face, so you're leading not striking.
  2. You want the uke to see the hand so they can react to it. A real strike is something you don't want them to see until it impacts.
If you make a mistake in the timing, it hurts as much as any strike.
Ouch!

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 09-05-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
DaveO
Canada

Hi Ted.
Yes; I'm familiar with that one; sorry, I meant for an uke's attack.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
jgros

hmmmm

If you mean "backhand" like slapping somone with the back of your hand....then yes i have seen it....but not empty handed.

I have practiced where the uke will continually slash at the nage using a knife with the same hand. So after he slashes one way (forward slap), he has to slash the other (backhanded slap). As I was taught, this backhanded slap/slash is a good place for a tenkan and kotegaeshi.

As mentioned in previous posts, it really is a showy motion but good to practice none the less.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States

Do you mean a Uraken Uchi (Back Fist) or a back hand like a back hand slap (Hando Uchi)?

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu
Old 09-05-2004, 03:22 PM   #6
DaveO
Canada

Quote:
Devon Natario wrote:
Do you mean a Uraken Uchi (Back Fist) or a back hand like a back hand slap (Hando Uchi)?
Both; depending on application.
Thanks for the info; Devon!
And thanks everyone else as well

Just for kicks; I practice with the backhand occasionally; I like to see what I can come up with. Ikkyo's easy; a very direct irimi and somewhat convoluted tenkan variety. Kote-gaeshi of course; kote-oroshi with a bit of a variation in there; and a fairly spiffy kokyunage if I do say so myself. ;-)

Cheers!

Old 09-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #7
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Dave,

In the yoshinkan style, back hand slap to the face is named gyaku yokomenuchi. We practice agaist it often, sometimes the uke holding tanto, short stick to add a 'little' bit more realism and to help us check maai. Also to remind us that sloppy techniques will cause loss of fingers he he he. Fav techniques against gyaku attack include, hijiate tenkan, hijishime irimi, ikkajo irimi, udegrami tenkan, iriminage tenkan wait, etc...

Cheers,
Boon

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:55 AM   #8
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

I suppose you could redirect it past you, atemi the uke's face/whatever you want and drop the atemi hand into sumiotoshi?

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:18 AM   #9
DGregory
United_States

Backhands (like uppercuts) are a standard part of Nihon Goshin Aikido training. They add a different vector from other attacks -- circular but different from yokomen-type attacks, for example. But NGA is sui generis. As for a Japanese name, I have no idea.

In application, Ikkyo variants are usually pretty effective from backhands, as are kote gaeshi, irimi nage, etc. More or less, techniques that would be applied from shomen or tsuki. The dynamics are more like defending from yokomen, though, because of the circular nature of the attack. Enter deep towards the shoulder of the attacking hand and good things usually happen. It's often possible to just slip behind uke.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #10
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States

I used the back fist like a jab in Yoshukai Karate, I found it very effective, fast and versitile. I find it pretty useful for atemi waza, theoretically if you hit your target correctly (top two knuckles to the temple) it can KO somebody. At least I know it hurts and gets someone's attention.

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:10 AM   #11
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

I don't understand why anyone would limit the type of attacks you would train with.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!