Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-02-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
Peter Cox
United_States
Aikido in the Chicago western suburbs

Hello there. I live in the western suburbs of Chicago, and was wondering if anyone could offer advice on a good dojo to commence training at.

I have no prior experience with martial arts. My interest in Aikido stems from having seen some training sessions at the Midwest Aikido Center in Chicago (I used to live nearby, and was about to enroll there when I broke my ankle rather badly. While still recovering, I moved to the suburbs).

Additionally, I am curious as to how I might expect the training to impact my ankle. For the interested, I suffered a tri-malleolar fracture, and have several bolts through both the tibia and fibula, along with a plate along the fibula. At this point, I don't tend to notice the ankle - unless it receives a sharp lateral jolt. I would hope that this weakness would abate over the course of the training regimen.

Any advice/information would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Peter
Old 09-02-2004, 11:41 PM   #2
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States
Re: Aikido in the Chicago western suburbs

When I visited Chicago I went here......

Dojo Ryoshinkan Dojo (single)

Distance: 27 miles (Northwest of chicago, IL)
Address: 2019 N. Rand Road; Palatine, IL 60074 (Map)
Instructors: Glenn Iwaoka, 2nd dan
Phone: (847) 358-1530
Fax: (847) 358-1597
Schedule: M-F 6-9pm; Sa 11am-4pm; Su 8am-12pm
E-mail: aikidoamer@aol.com
Style: Aikikai
Affiliation: AAA

I really enjoyed my visit and they are really good to work with.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 09-04-2004, 03:58 AM   #3
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Peter,

There is a nice dojo right near you in Glen Ellyn. It is the Glen Ellyn aikido club which meets at the College of Dupage. The instructor is Judy Leppert, 4th dan, a wonderful person. I started there many years ago, and visit when I can. It is part of the MAF and was strongly connected to the MAC before all the trouble happened. In either Naperville or Aurora, near the Fox Valley Mall, is the MATS dojo run by Maureen Browne and John Gussman, another pair of great people. Maureen is an instructor under Chiba Sensei and the Western region. Up in Arlington Heights, is a guy whose name I can`t remember, but whose dojo has come highly recommended.

If you join the Glen Ellyn dojo, I will probably see you this winter when I`ll make a trip back to the States.

Charles Hill
Old 09-04-2004, 07:09 AM   #4
Peter Cox
United_States

Thanks for all the information. I'll probably check in at each of the local dojos and see if I can't sit in on a class.

Charles - to which trouble were you referring?

Cheers,
Peter
Old 09-04-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States

Christopher Taw is the instructor in Arlington Heights. He's a very nice fellow with clear, clean technique. He came up through the MAC, but has a different affiliation now. Here's his website: http://www.aikidotraditions.com/

Mel
Old 09-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #6
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Yes, Chris Taw. I have heard nothing but very good things about him. Thanks Mel.

Peter,

After Tohei Sensei died, there has been a lot of trouble that I really don`t know about first hand so I hesitate to post anything. I do know that the MAF is about a quarter the size it used to be. I heard, however, that this year`s summer camp with Seki Shihan from Honbu was good.

Charles Hill
Old 09-07-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
BC

You won't go wrong if you visit the Glen Ellyn Aikido Club. They practice good aikido, and they are all a very good bunch of people. Plus, it's right down the street from Wheaton. Good luck!

Robert Cronin

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches