Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-26-2004, 09:42 AM   #26
Hanna B
Sweden
Re: Leaving the Dojo

Quote:
romuel villareal wrote:
Hanna, sempai said on alternate schedules? what problems do you see? Pls share your thoughts.
I see competition issues. One of my previous teachers was of the opinion that it was better to share space with a karate dojo than a jujutsu dito; karate and aikido does not compete for the same students, which aikido and jujutsu does to a certain extent. Well, what about aikido and aikido...?

Who gets more students, and why? Can students transfer freely inbetween dojos? I mean, I took the beginner's class in dojo A but now the schedule in dojo B fits me much better... I do not suppose the Japanese would even think that way, but we westerners do. If many students change from dojo B to dojo A, than the B people might accuse the A people of stealing students. Well, not in the best of worlds, but...
Old 08-26-2004, 03:39 PM   #27
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

thanks for the tokyo info Chris

Hi George
Sempai was willing to go for a test with the new sensei, if he failed at least he knows he's not ready yet and will willingly accept it. Sempai wanted the old sensei to test him or award it publicly. You are right, the aikido community where sempai is situated is rather small, and he should have really kept his mouth shut. But things have already been said....poor sempai.

I'll keep you guys posted on how this joining under one roof turns out - I will meet with sempai tomorrow. Thanks again George, that was a very juicy input, it sounded very professional and matured. Cheers!
Old 08-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #28
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

Thanks Hanna - currently old sensei is sharing his dojo space with karate guys. some of them opted to cross train in aikido, no problem with karate sensei. a jujitsu dojo operating beside old sensei's dojo is sharing their space with another aikido group. they seem to get along well (time mgmt), and does not seem to affect old sensei's dojo as they are on different schedules too.

But aikido and aikido, hmmmm let's see.... If I am the student and my schedule fits in dojo A, no matter how good the dojo B is, I still wont be able to attend sessions on B because time does not permit me. Anyways, point taken and noted. I'll keep you posted. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 04:20 AM   #29
gi_grrl
Dojo: Institute of Aikido Australia
Australia

Quote:
mel wrote:
Thank you all for your inputs. Problem's solved the aikido way, everybody on win-win situation.

A. Old sensei did not allow sempai to leave, sempai will be graded and tested for BB -
I'm glad the problem worked out, but if I were the student, I would be asking myself and my Sensei exactly what it is he wants me to learn / master in order to pass the test. Grades are not awarded for time spent training, for help around the dojo or administrative tasks. Grades are awarded for ability. So find out what abilities are needed.

If I was awarded a grade for anything but ability, I would feel insulted. I trust my Sensei to judge my improvement because he is vastly more experiences than me.

On the other hand, if he makes requests of me for administrative assistance, then I choose to say 'yes' or 'no' and expect that either choice will have no effects on my training or grading.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!