Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-27-2004, 05:43 AM   #1
CarlRylander
Question Nerve points

Generally, are you taught nerve points in Aikido? I know at my local hall they do, though some of the nerve points are in very slightly different positions to the ones used in Taekwondo, or so my friend with a black belt tells me. He reckons he knows how to do the 'Vulcan Nerve/neck pinch'!!!
Does anyone else here know how to do it?

Carl.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
Devin McDowell
Dojo: RA Centre
Canada
Re: Nerve points

We don't learn them. There was a topic on this a while ago I think, and most people said they didn't learn them either.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:36 AM   #3
Yozzer
Dojo: Chester (Ryusuikan)
Smile Re: Nerve points

Does anyone else here know how to do it?

Carl.[/quote]

Mr Spock!!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:13 AM   #4
CarlRylander
Smile Re: Nerve points

What are yonkyo and Ikkyo then? I've looked further down the forum and it seems you do! I've been thinking of taking up Aikido now for about fifteen years and I firmly intend to do it before I'm forty. I'm going to have to get my back sorted out first, though! I'm going to do some boxing and karste too!!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:39 AM   #5
Clayton Kale
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido Academy

We often use nerve pressure points in Nihon Goshin Aikido. They are good for distracting uke or to "soften them up" if they're resisting so you can safely do technique.

Plus, they're good for when your tipsey buddy says "lemme sheee that karate stuff you do." <shove>

You make him back off, but you didn't destroy his wrist/elbow/shoulder and you didn't make him do a face plant with a koshinage.

I like them. It's always fun when a skinny guy like me can have some of the big guys in class doing the "pressure point two step" before you toss them.

"Pefect practice makes perfect." -Steven A. Weber Godan Nihon Goshin Aikido

Old 07-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I teach them regularly. I'm still waiting for publication of an article on the topic by black belt magazine (takes for ever to get in the que). As to the Vulcan nerve pinch, I doubt you can knock someone out the way Spock does pressing the area he does without a setup point. However, you can inflict some serious pain in that area by pinching the brachial plexus. The fingers to the front press in behind the collar bone where the brachial plexus is very close to the surface. It hurts like hell. There is also a nice one right at the angle of the jaw in the neck. A good way to appreciate the brachial plexus one is iriminage where the hand is at the base of the neck and shoulder. The front fingers are very close to the brachial plexus and anterior neck. Unless the pain is enough to shock you into passing out or you set it up and can elicit a vasovagal faint I doubt you'll knock anyone out this way.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:02 AM   #7
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Yonkyo can be a nerve press on the radial nerve, depending on how it is done. Some just simply twist the arm in a wringing fashion. Ikkyo has a couple of opportunity areas for applying pressure or nerve points. A key one is the nerve on the inside of the elbow (Heart 3 acupuncture point) during the take over. This can be pressed with the thumb for pain compliance. There are other opportunities for striking points when the uke is taken over (back of neck, etc.).

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido Center of Miami - Join us for Micheline Tissier March 22 & 23, 2014 in Miami, FL