Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-23-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
David Humm
United Kingdom
Visiting Hombu Dojo

2005 will be my 17th year in Aikido. With the exception of a couple of years where, I felt I needed to take time out.

I've always had the ambition to train at Hombu Dojo and I hope to realise this next near.

I'm wondering if I may draw upon this board's members to gain advice upon this venture, where to stay in Tokyo, and the various in's and out's of making a trip of this nature.

I can speculate on what's required but I would graciously welcome any and all input advice on the matter.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
saltlakeaiki

Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai
Re: Visiting Hombu Dojo

The place where help might be most needed is in finding a place to stay. I wish I could be more helpful in that area, but since I lived in Tokyo it wasn't an issue However if I were to say, I'd say if you want to try to conserve cash, you could try the Tokyo Int'l Youth Hostel, which is in the upper part of a hi-rise, and actually is pretty close to Hombu (Iidabashi). Youth hostels are tough when it comes to privacy and peace of mind viz. personal items, but it's an option. If I recall from years ago, they have a nice bath

As for Hombu, by all means don't forget to bring your yuudansha passport or some other proof of Aikikai affiliation. If you're not affiliated, you may have trouble getting in. It costs 1,575 yen to get in for the day (about US$15 - even for Aikikai members), but you can stay for multiple classes. Don't be disappointed that it's a concrete box Don't be intimidated, but if you pass Doshu in the hall, make sure to nod and say hi

If it wasn't for the goat, you couldn't get in here for propaganda!
Old 07-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #3
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Dave,

There is a guest house you might want to look into called Liberty House. It's a total dump but it is about a 15 minute walk from Honbu and the manager, Masa, is the sweetest guy. They will probably want you to stay at least amonth but you may be able to talk them into a shorter stay. Unlike the place Dave I. recommended, they don"t have a bath but a shower where you may have to wait in a long line. But hey, you're there to train, not to smell good, right?

Charles Hill
Old 07-24-2004, 11:45 AM   #4
saltlakeaiki

Hey Charles,
Is that the sort of place which is known as a "gaijin house"? I've heard of them but never seen one. How much does it cost to stay? On a trip back to Tokyo a couple years ago I stayed for the first time in a capsule hotel An interesting experience to be sure... but I didn't recommend it to David because I think you'd have trouble without language skills.

Dave

Old 07-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
David Humm
United Kingdom

Thanks for your comments thus far guys
Old 07-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Stay at a Nichiren or Nipponzan Myohoji temple. Or any other buddhist temple. They are in most cases kind to visitors and have reasonable prices. (20 - 30$ a night) The only catch is that you SHOULD (out of kindness and respect) attend their morning and evening services.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 07-26-2004, 01:29 AM   #7
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
David Iannucci wrote:
As for Hombu, by all means don't forget to bring your yuudansha passport or some other proof of Aikikai affiliation. If you're not affiliated, you may have trouble getting in. It costs 1,575 yen to get in for the day (about US$15 - even for Aikikai members), but you can stay for multiple classes. Don't be disappointed that it's a concrete box Don't be intimidated, but if you pass Doshu in the hall, make sure to nod and say hi
I wouldn't let being a non aikikai member put you off, they let me in on my first visit to Japan back in '95. I would take some evidence of your association (members card) even if they are not affiliated, at least to show that you do practice aikido somewhere. The biggest hurdle will be the language barrier at the door.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-27-2004, 10:40 AM   #8
saltlakeaiki

Yes, it seems that there is an element of randomness/luck to it for non-Aikikai members, and it also seems that if you put on a good act of looking like you've been there many times before and know the ropes (doudouto, as the J say), it will help you bluster your way past any suspicions I can guarantee that a nice hearty "ohayou gozaimasu!" (or other greeting appropriate to the time of day) and a smile will help, too! You're most likely to be questioned if you have the look of someone from a "questionable" style of Aikido who's trying to slip in even though he knows he's not welcome So have your Y1575 ready in exact change when you walk in

So..... is there anything we haven't hit on that is still troubling you, Dave?

Old 07-27-2004, 04:38 PM   #9
laovel
Dojo: North Bay Aikido

This was written a bit ago but may have something useful for you

http://www.koryubooks.com/library/mskoss6.html

GAMBATTE

Last edited by laovel : 07-27-2004 at 04:40 PM. Reason: doh, spelling

Please visit our sponsor:

Koretoshi Maruyama European Seminar - Maruyama Sensei will be in Cumbria UK, 1st-3rd August, 2014