Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-29-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
"Anonymous"
IP Hash: 0828199f
Anonymous User
What's in a name?

Hi people,

A rose by any other name still smell as sweet;
a skunk by any other name still smell as bad...

OK, sorry for the cute little poem. I live in a country outside Japan and in this country of mine, we have a long and proud history / affiliation with the Yoshinkan style. My sensei is a one of the pioneer Yoshinkan practitioner to this country.

He had one particular student who was a nidan then. This student was very impatient, he wanted to go up the ranks very quickly. Later he fell out of favor from my sensei. He no longer attend class. However sometime later, in the local press we read that he claims to be a FOUNDER of Yoshinkan Aikido Academy of [Name of Country]. We asked around out of curiosity and we know from rumor that he attended the Hombu Instructor course not too long ago.

To claim to be a technical adviser, instructor in residence or chief instructor of your particular dojo is a norm for anyone who wanted to manage his/her own dojo, but to claim to be a FOUNDER? Isn't it too much?

This brings me back to the little cute poem on top, it just leaves a bad aftertaste. So what do you all think? Any comment?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait
Re: What's in a name?

So if your sensei is the founder and this other person claims otherwise, then your sensei should go and challenge the other sensei to combat or hard practice! If such an unexcusable insult is given, it is given as a challenge and should be harmoniously taken up!

It is an issue they will have to take up between themselves. Don't get involved.

Rock
Old 11-22-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I'm confused. Is he claiming to be the founder of a new syle of aikido or is he claiming to be a the founder of a new dojo/organization.

My sensei is the founder of our dojo his sensei was the founder of our organization....

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-23-2004, 01:33 AM   #4
"Anoynymous"
IP Hash: be1378f2
Anonymous User

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
I'm confused. Is he claiming to be the founder of a new syle of aikido or is he claiming to be a the founder of a new dojo/organization.

My sensei is the founder of our dojo his sensei was the founder of our organization....

Bronson
He claims to be founder of an Organization where is just an off-shoot of the parent organization. I guess is just for political mileage really.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
kung fu hamster

What bothers you about the 'founder' label, the rift between instructor and student or his nidan rank? Just because a student is no longer with his/her teacher doesn't mean s/he has to negate their years of training and chuck it all down the toilet. Koichi Tohei and Toyoda Sensei come to mind, among others. If they weren't good at what they do, that's another matter. My 2 cents.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

A founder is just someone who is one of the people who do all the work to set up an organization, company, etc. It's a good word that means that they have been there since the beginning of the organization.

I am a founder of my company and my dojo, but definately not my profession or my style of Aikido. But people feel good to hear that I have an emotional and long term investment in both places.

If, on the other hand, this person is trying to usurp the place of the "Founder of the first Yoshinkan Dojo in <country>" then I see that is being a problem. But calling yourself a founder of something you put together yourself is just common sense.

My few yen,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 12-09-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
bryce_montgomery

United_States

I have to agree with Michael. There really isn't anything wrong with him calling himself the founder of the organization or whatever he put together, that's just telling people what you've accomplished...like calling yourself a doctor...It'd be taken that same way.

But that's just my opinion,
Bryce
Old 12-09-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
bryce_montgomery

United_States

P.S. - I like your "My few yen" Michael.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:25 PM   #9
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Bryce Montgomery wrote:
P.S. - I like your "My few yen" Michael.
And I spend them all here <sigh>

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.