Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-03-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
Tennessee Mike
United_States
Northeast TN - Looking to Learn aikido

I live in the Tricities area of NE TN. I would like to learn aikido but am unable to locate anyone in my area. Does anyone know if anything is available here. I learned aikido for several months, several years ago in San Diego and would like to recontinue.

The closest dojo l have found listed is Asheville Aikikai in Asheville, NC. I have not been able to contact them. Does anyone know if they still exist?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:17 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States
Re: Northeast TN - Looking to Learn aikido

Mike,

There used to be two dojo in Knoxville, which would be quite a drive. There was also more than one dojo on the NC side of the mountains. I believe they were Tomiki dojo and not listed in the AikiWeb dojo finder.

FWIW,

Greg Jennings
Old 08-05-2004, 08:48 PM   #3
Dave603
Dojo: Aikido Of Cincinnati
United_States

Mike,

Good to hear from someone in Northeast TN! I grew up in East Tennessee and went to ETSU, oh, a few years ago. Unfortunately, there are no aikido dojos there that I know of. The Asheville dojo is still active...keep trying to contact them if you're really interested. But if you're really, really serious...just hang out there for another 15-20 years. By then maybe I can retire and move back and start up a dojo! (That's the plan, anyway).

Dave
Old 08-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
TricitiesAikido
United_States

Mike,

I currently live in Bristol, VA and there are no official Aikido dojos in the area. Actually, I have been looking at finding a place to begin training again. I've reached 2nd kyu, but I'm a little rusty. Lets keep in touch and hopefully we can find a place to train. This is a call for anyone in the Northeast Tennessee Tri-Cities region to try and get an Aikido group together. I've found a small gym in Bristol that currently has space for a class, but no one to teach. I'd be very happy to lead/assist a class if we can generate enough interest.

Alain
Old 08-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
AsimHanif

Hey Alain, where is Bristol? I think I've been near it.
I'm up near DC, in Woodbridge. About an 1 1/2 from Richmond. If you ever get a chance to travel please feel free to stop by. Our hours are on the web. We are an Aikikai shop but have Iwama, Ki, and Tomiki people stop by occassionally to train. Feel free to give me a call.
Asim
Old 08-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #6
TricitiesAikido
United_States

Asim,

Unfortunately, it looks like Woodbridge is about 348 miles away from Bristol. Bristol is right on the Tennessee border.

Thanks for the invite,
Alain
Old 08-09-2004, 04:13 PM   #7
Tennessee Mike
United_States

Glad to hear from someone in my area. I have found that Asheville Aikikai dojo still operates. It has a web page that it evidently has not updated times on lately since I went on a Saturday and no one was around at the listed time. I am planning a trip there, 1hr 10 min, this Friday to visit

Last edited by Tennessee Mike : 08-09-2004 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #8
TricitiesAikido
United_States

Mike,

If I still lived in Johnson City that would be fine, but Bristol adds another 45 min to the drive and I don't have the time right now to manage that. Let me know how it goes.

Good luck,
Alain

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com