Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
daniel chong
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16
United_States
Offline
aikido schools of ueshiba

Hello,
Can anyone out there give me a little info on the differences between aikikai and aikido schools of ueshiba? I know that there are many styles within aikikai but I'm just really trying to find out what ASU is all about. If this has been discussed before, and someone could refer me to a particular thread, that would be great too. I'm just looking for general answers here, not a lengthy discussion about how "there is really only one aikido", and "there are no different styles, just different people", etc, etc. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
DCP
 
DCP's Avatar
Dojo: Inaka Dojo
Location: Land of Lincoln
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 135
Offline
Re: aikido schools of ueshiba

ASU is an Aikikai association.
http://www.aikikai.or.jp/Eng/index.htm
Look at the instructors abroad page . . .

A crust eaten in peace is better than a banquet partaken in anxiety.
- Aesop
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
George S. Ledyard
 
George S. Ledyard's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Location: Bellevue, WA
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,629
Offline
Re: aikido schools of ueshiba

Quote:
Daniel Chong wrote:
Hello,
Can anyone out there give me a little info on the differences between aikikai and aikido schools of ueshiba? I know that there are many styles within aikikai but I'm just really trying to find out what ASU is all about. If this has been discussed before, and someone could refer me to a particular thread, that would be great too. I'm just looking for general answers here, not a lengthy discussion about how "there is really only one aikido", and "there are no different styles, just different people", etc, etc. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Well, like many of the organizations, the ASU was created for folks who wish to be associated with a particular teacher to do so. In this case the teacher is Saotome Sensei and, these days, his senior student Ikeda Sensei. The senior folks within this organization basically fall into two groups, those who trained directly under Saotome Sensei and those that trained under Ikeda Sensei originally. The balance of the organization, and probably the majority, are folks who affiliated after the ASU joined the Aikikai in the late 80's. So they form a fairly diverse group with people formerly affiliated with just about every organization I can think of.

Realistically, and I know you don't want to here this, you can't really say much about most organizations which is anything other than a gross generalization. If you trained in the ASU it would be a totally different expereince of you trained under me or under Kevin Choate Sensei (6th Dan in Chicago). Training directly with Ikeda Sensei would be completely different than training at one of the dojos that joined the organization in the last few years. People ask about the ASU and I never feel like there is anything in particular of interest that I can say about it, and I am a founding member. It's an organization like the others... It's the individual teachers within the organization that are of interest I think. At least I assume that questions of this nature relate to a desire to find a good place to train...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
daniel chong
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16
United_States
Offline
Re: aikido schools of ueshiba

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
Well, like many of the organizations, the ASU was created for folks who wish to be associated with a particular teacher to do so. In this case the teacher is Saotome Sensei and, these days, his senior student Ikeda Sensei. The senior folks within this organization basically fall into two groups, those who trained directly under Saotome Sensei and those that trained under Ikeda Sensei originally. The balance of the organization, and probably the majority, are folks who affiliated after the ASU joined the Aikikai in the late 80's. So they form a fairly diverse group with people formerly affiliated with just about every organization I can think of.

Realistically, and I know you don't want to here this, you can't really say much about most organizations which is anything other than a gross generalization. If you trained in the ASU it would be a totally different expereince of you trained under me or under Kevin Choate Sensei (6th Dan in Chicago). Training directly with Ikeda Sensei would be completely different than training at one of the dojos that joined the organization in the last few years. People ask about the ASU and I never feel like there is anything in particular of interest that I can say about it, and I am a founding member. It's an organization like the others... It's the individual teachers within the organization that are of interest I think. At least I assume that questions of this nature relate to a desire to find a good place to train...
Thank you for your honest answer. In that case, do you know either Dan Penrod Sensei or John Messores Sensei, and if so, what style of aikido they teach? (ie softer vs. harder, more focused on self defense vs. less focused on self defense, emphasize things like atemi and/or randori)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Location: Florida
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,267
Offline
Re: aikido schools of ueshiba

Quote:
Daniel Chong wrote:
In that case, do you know either Dan Penrod Sensei or John Messores Sensei, and if so, what style of aikido they teach? (ie softer vs. harder, more focused on self defense vs. less focused on self defense, emphasize things like atemi and/or randori)
Haven't trained with Penrod myself, but I have with his teacher, Messores; the whole dojo seems to hold Dan in high regard. He was a student of Messores, but I don't know if he originally began with him.

Messores' aikido has much ATEMI and he invites strong attacks. His techique can be quite soft, however. A very fine technician. From what I gather, so to is Penrod.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aikido in Amsterdam, Terry Lax style... tiyler_durden General 11 11-03-2008 08:31 AM
Mixing Aikido with other martial arts Guilty Spark General 146 05-04-2008 10:10 AM
Women and Everybody Else in Aikido George S. Ledyard Teaching 113 03-16-2008 07:27 PM
?? Exaggeration in Aikido ?? Roy General 305 03-30-2006 12:34 PM
Article: Aikido Now in Brunei AikiWeb System AikiWeb System 3 09-20-2005 06:22 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 PM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate