Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-08-2004, 11:59 PM   #1
jacob wood
United_States
beginner w/ dojo issues

hey everybody

after readling lots of books on aikido i have finally decided that i need to start it because i like Aikidao so much. But, i need some help with where i should start aikido, i have limited the choices down to 2 dojos (mainly because they are the only ones within reasonable driving distance). one is boulder aikikai with Hiroshi Ikeda sensei and the 2nd is Nippon Kan with Gaku Homma sensei. I am kind of leaning towards boulder aikikai but the problem is is that its about 20 minutes further than Nippon Kan. I live in colorado, and i was just wondering if anyone had any information on either of the dojos.

thanks for the help

jacob
Old 07-09-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
Michael Brown
Dojo: Aikido of San Jose
United_States
Re: beginner w/ dojo issues

Wow, Jacob, you are definitely blessed to have such a dilemma. All I can say is that you should go to both and observe to see which you are more comfortable with. Both sensei's are wonderful people and talented and dedicated aikidoists in their own right. I am lucky to live in an aikido-rich environment, but I train primarily at one dojo over the others because that is the style I enjoy the most. I also go to the other dojos in my area from time to time to see what they are studying, expand my knowledge, and have fun connecting with other aikidoka. I look forward to seeing your final decision posted. Good luck!
-Mike
Old 07-09-2004, 01:54 AM   #3
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Short answer: go to Boulder Aikikai.

PC answer: visit both places, ask questions there, take at least one class at both places preferably by the head teacher or at least
the senior most student (and also watch a class by the head teacher).

Biased answer:
visit and try classes at one of these four locations http://janar.com/rmks/
also.

good luck,
Craig
Old 07-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
BC

Having formerly lived in and around Colorado, I can tell you there are quite a few excellent aikido dojo around Denver and along the Front Range (some people could be jealous of your circumstances). Both of the dojo you mention have excellent reputations, but if distance is an issue, it can't hurt to consider other, closer schools as well. Just use the dojo search engine here at Aikiweb to locate them.

Then again, once you find the right dojo, distance might not really be an issue. It takes me a minimum of 45 minutes to get to the dojo where I train, even though there are other dojo closer to my home and work with experienced, qualified instructors. I quite simply prefer to train there based on the dojo and the instructors and members.

Good luck!

Robert Cronin
Old 07-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
JasonB

Any advice from someone else to attend one dojo over the other is meaningless. It's too personal a decision so another person's preferances are not going to reflect your own.

Take the time to observe classes at both dojos so that you can make a decision based on your own experience and needs. In fact, since they both have beginner sessions you would do well to go through the introduction courses for both dojos. You've obviously given a lot of consideration to your decision to study Aikido and if you intend to continue studying for several years then a couple of extra months spent attending the both beginner's courses shouldn't hold you up to much.

Learn what you can about the community that exists within the dojo and don't be afraid to ask questions. I think that having the opportunity to participate in both dojos before making a decision is such a unique and exciting opportunity that you should try to take advantage of it.

Since I personally attend one of the mentioned dojos I look forward to hearing about your decision.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:53 PM   #6
Jill N
Dojo: K-W Ki Aikido (Kitchener, Ont)
Canada

Hi Jacob:
Craig already made the (biased) suggestion I thought of as soon as you mentioned that you live in Colorado. check out the four dojo mentioned in the link Craig sent and see what you think of them while you are checking out dojos.
e ya later
Jill.

Please visit our sponsor:

Koretoshi Maruyama European Seminar - Maruyama Sensei will be in Cumbria UK, 1st-3rd August, 2014