Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-09-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
BLangille
moving target

Is it bad form for nage to move before uke has a chance to complete a grab? for example ryotedori, uke steps in and tries to grab nages wrists. nage steps back while moving his hands down to his center. Uke can either grasp air, or dive down to grab the wrists, unbalancing himself in the process.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: moving target

It depends entirely on the convention that is agreed to within the dojo, by that class' instructor, or by the pair practicing.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

Well, now that nage's hands are down low, uke also has a number of openings available for another offensive maneuver...shomen-uchi, ganmen-tsuki, yokomen-uchi, suri-age shomen-uchi...
Old 07-09-2004, 05:28 PM   #4
BLangille

While its true I could throw in another sort of attack, I am under the impression that to be a good uke, you have to be committed to the proper attack, whichever one you happen to be practicing. I just dont think it is helpful to nage to unbalance myself by chasing his hands wherever he happens to move them. But I also dont feel right stopping my attack in the middle of it. Any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Hey Brian,

In my understanding, as Tori (nage) one may be aiming to develop a degree of timing that causes Tori to lead Uke's attack a little bit, causing him to unbalance himself and overextend by moving just before the grab has settled. If the movement is too early and Uke discerns it and feels it necessary to change or stop the attack then Tori's timing is a bit off. But it is just as bad imo (unless if deliberately practicing a technique from a static position) to move too late after Uke has already grabbed and settled his attack.

Shihan Fumiaki Shishida gave me an example of this directly from Tomiki's teaching recently - In a grab, even though it looks like one movement, there are actually many very small movements. If you take 1 as the beginning of the grab and 10 as the completed and locked in grab, we should aim to be moving and applying kuzushi before 10 has occurred. The idea is to keep our movement as Tori just one step or so ahead of Uke's movement to lead his mind into thinking he can land the grab, even as he puts himself off balance trying to do so.

However, as indicated above by others, it all depends on what you are practicing, your dojo norms etc. Properly timed early movement is necessary to develop one's timing and leading skills though imo.

Just my 2 cents.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 07-09-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Brian,

At a USAF midwest camp, someone asked Tohei Akira Shihan how O`Sensei`s uke grabbed him, soft/hard/?. Tohei Sensei replied that O`Sensei never let anyone get a firm grab on him.

Charles Hill
Old 07-10-2004, 07:21 AM   #7
BLangille

Quote:
If the movement is too early and Uke discerns it and feels it necessary to change or stop the attack then Tori's timing is a bit off.
I think this may be the case. Thank you for your input.
Brian
Old 07-10-2004, 08:07 AM   #8
NagaBaba

Quote:
Brian Langille wrote:
Is it bad form for nage to move before uke has a chance to complete a grab? for example ryotedori, uke steps in and tries to grab nages wrists. nage steps back while moving his hands down to his center. Uke can either grasp air, or dive down to grab the wrists, unbalancing himself in the process.
this is real aikido, but you can move only in the moment when attacker can't change a way of his attack. Difficult to do with experienced attackers.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 07-11-2004, 02:13 AM   #9
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Brian Langille wrote:
Is it bad form for nage to move before uke has a chance to complete a grab?

No, not unless the class is specifically practicing from static. It is important to practice from a strong static position initially, this helps you learn to feel what`s happening with your uke. If you can do the technique on someone using a strong solid attack, you can do it on anyone.

As you progress, things change, that`s when we try and not let uke take a firm hold. Ma ai and timing are the important points here, move too soon and uke will just stop, stand too close and uke doesn`t move so much. If your ma ai is good, and you maintain it at all times, uke will be forced to move to grab you, if your timing is right, he will continue to try and grab you, that`s when you have kuzushi and uke falls into the technique, hopefully .

rgds
Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-12-2004, 05:34 AM   #10
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

I agree, it depends what the aim of the given practice is to be. The description given sounds like an advanced form of the technique used, also as mentioned, to develop timing etc. If this is what the sensei has shown, practice.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 07-12-2004, 10:05 AM   #11
akiy

As Lyle and others say above, it depends on the nature of practice -- both speciflcally (ie at the time of the practice) as well as generally (ie what's usually done at the dojo). Some places I've been accept that uke will try to follow along, trying to grab uke's wrist wherever it goes -- kind of like a horse always trying to get the carrot dangled in front of them. Other places will allow uke to "abort" the attack if uke feels that the target has changed too much to enable a safe and smart attack. I sometimes do the latter if the "lead" is so obvious that it leaves way too many openings; the original poster's example of stepping back and lowering the hands down to one's center might leave nage's face open.

Just like anything else, I think it's also a matter of timing, direction, and intent...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!