Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-17-2001, 07:09 AM   #26
ronin_10562
Dojo: NGA Ossining
So are you practicing religion when you are practicing Aikido? in some dojos I think its true. I have no problem with that as long as the students understand this.

Walt

Walter Kopitov
Old 03-17-2001, 07:29 PM   #27
Ray Kissane
Dojo: Nihon Goshin Aikido
KI

In Nihon Goshin Aikido we talk about KI techniques as a re-direction of engery. We do not talk about KI as a magic or mystical power that is for others to explain.
As westerners it is much easier to think of it as physics. Whether it is an unbendable arm or two people are trying to lift you, there is energy being applied and you need to try and re-direct it with out using strength. That is the hard part.
Also Walt, since you are no longer a member of our association why do you keep refering to your system as Nihon Goshin Aikido?

Ray Kissane
Old 03-17-2001, 07:54 PM   #28
Nick
Dojo: Aikido of Greater Atlanta
United_States
Quote:
ronin_10562 wrote:
So are you practicing religion when you are practicing Aikido? in some dojos I think its true. I have no problem with that as long as the students understand this.

Walt
I try to practice my religion at all points-- some may make a religion out of Aikido, and that's ok with them. For me, it's a fresh way for me to look at my religion and why I do the things that I do. It has been an excellent adjunct to my faith, but not a replacement.

Nick

P.S-- as for replacing ki with God-- check out some the early Taoist work, epsecially Chuang Tzu, and replace Tao with God... perhaps we're not all quite as different as we think, neh?

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 03-17-2001, 08:02 PM   #29
Nick
United_States
Quote:
Chris P. wrote:
The ancient classics tell us how to practice, but generally not how to conceptualize what is happening. Is this because the old masters were all stupid, or because they thought intellectual "understanding" of the practice was useless? Who am I to disagree? This is not merely a matter of culture, it is a universal truth. [/b]
I've been in Aikido long enough now to know a shihonage from a tenchinage, a tenakn movement from an irimi, a kubi otoshi from an ago-tsuki age, etc. I can see a technique performed, and more than likely identify the attack and response. However, if I'm up there doing the technique, I may think I know what I have to do, but it all seems to come out as a mess. It's lead me to realize that if you "know" a technique in your head and not in your heart, I mean like your whole being, than you don't "know" anything at all...

"Has any man ever obtained wisdom by pondering the works of others? Not since the world began. He must pass through the fire."
-Norman Douglas

Nick

---
Nick Porter
"Do not fall into the trap of the artisan who boasts twenty years of experience, when in fact he has had only one year of experience-- twenty times."
Old 03-18-2001, 06:46 AM   #30
ronin_10562
"I may think I know what I have to do, but it all seems to come out as a mess. It's lead me to realize that if you "know" a technique in your head and not in your heart, I mean like your whole being, than you don't "know" anything at all... "

This is the point of training with Ki exercise. Train with the techniques untill they are a part of you and train the mind to be settled so that it allows the body to respond.

Walt

Walter Kopitov
Old 03-18-2001, 11:08 AM   #31
Anubis Gohan
Dojo: looking
Help Please somewone

Is there somewone out there who could teach me a method to increaase ki dramitcaly. If that dosent exist please teach me to relase ki energy in bursts.
-Brad Cook

"Do Not despise the snake for it has no horns for one day it may become a dragon"
-Some Book I Found In The Libary
Old 03-18-2001, 11:20 AM   #32
Nick
United_States
Go into the mountains of Japan, and look for a man named Ryu-- he will teach you the "hadoken" technique, which is executed by crouching and pressing punch twice...

Ki isn't like kinetic energy or adrenaline-- it can't be taught or really even explained, only experienced...

Nick

---
Nick Porter
Old 03-18-2001, 11:20 AM   #33
Jim23
Re: Help Please somewone

Quote:
Anubis Gohan wrote:
Is there somewone out there who could teach me a method to increaase ki dramitcaly. If that dosent exist please teach me to relase ki energy in bursts.
-Brad Cook
Can't help you there, but I can with your spelling.

http://www.onelook.com/

Jim23

Remember, all generalizations are false
Old 03-18-2001, 03:28 PM   #34
Anubis Gohan
Is there no other way

is there no other way than to go to japan

"Do Not despise the snake for it has no horns for one day it may become a dragon"
Old 03-19-2001, 11:46 AM   #35
Steve Speicher
Dojo: Aikido of Central Ohio
Well, I hope you are pulling our leg Anubis!! If not, read on. You must have missed the sarcasm in the response (which I found quite funny, Ninja Gaiden-ish).

You sound very young, if not don't be offended, just realize that what you seek isn't a secret held by one person, or a secret to be learned that will allow you to unleash devastating power.

My advice to you is to find a quality dojo, and begin training. In time your understanding will develop and the nature of your question will change considerably.

If training isn't on your path, try reading some books on ki, philosophy will do much more for you than fantasy novels. (Don't get me wrong, fantasy books are great for entertainment, not necessarily for factual info).

Good luck on your journey, and please let us know if you do ever find how to 'dramatically increase your ki ability, and release ki in short bursts'.

Peace,

-----------------------------
Steve Speicher
May I ask what is meant by the strong, moving power (hao jan chih chi)? "It
is difficult to describe," Mencius replied. -- Mencius IIA2

403-256 BCE
Old 03-19-2001, 12:45 PM   #36
Anubis Gohan
Smile In reply

I am somewht young (13) i am pretty sure that it is possible i also need a large ammount of info for a report

Old 03-19-2001, 12:52 PM   #37
Anubis Gohan
Japan

Nick Wickh mountan was it that Ryu is on and are you jokeing me?
-Brad Cook

Old 03-19-2001, 01:32 PM   #38
Nick
United_States
Ryu is a character in a fighting game called Street Fighter, whose primary attack is a fireball called a "hadoken"... the response was not meant to be serious, I apologize if this comes off as hurtful or insulting, as it was meant in jest. Steve summed up my thoughts pretty well-- Ki is not a power that can be built up, and released at will to the destruction of whomever you don't like... Ki is used from words like the weather (tenki), lunacy (kichigai) and even a carburetor on a car (kikaki)... the basic philosophy behind Chi or Ki is that it's like spiritual energy (kind of), and many believe that their Aikido helps them to coordinate and unify their mind and body, as to control their ki, and really, their lives. I'd say go find a good dojo (I'd recommend the dojo listing on this web page), and begin to train. As aforementioned, ki can't really be explained but experienced, however it's not any kind of magical force or energy.

Nick

---
Nick Porter
Old 03-19-2001, 05:29 PM   #39
Chris P.
Re: Help Please somewone

Quote:
Anubis Gohan wrote:
Is there somewone out there who could teach me a method to increaase ki dramitcaly.
Yiquan.
Old 03-20-2001, 09:48 AM   #40
Anubis Gohan
Ki Symbol In reply

i do not play street fighter and there is also a char. Ryu in the anime cartoon ronin warriors also if anywone would like to tell me the avrage prices and times for ki aikido clases (so that i can see if they conflict with tekwon-do scedule) it would be greatly apprecieated and if anywone is intrested in learning about my style of martial arts i am inventing just ask and any help i could get on anything would be replyed with great thanks...
-Brad Cook
P.S. forgive my spelling

Old 03-20-2001, 09:53 AM   #41
Anubis Gohan
Square In reply again

acculy in a raw state if you sum up ki it can be relased i nthe way you put it at people you dont like but it takes much practice and i would say about a life times worth of meditation
-Brad Cook
P.S. forgive my spelling

Old 03-20-2001, 10:10 AM   #42
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Re: In reply again

Quote:
Anubis Gohan wrote:
acculy in a raw state if you sum up ki it can be relased i nthe way you put it at people you dont like but it takes much practice and i would say about a life times worth of meditation
-Brad Cook
P.S. forgive my spelling

Anubis-
Ki is a very short but very complicated word. There's no equivalent word or definition in English or any western language.
In the book "The Spirit of Aikido" by Kissomharu Ueshiba, which you might be able to borrow off someone, there's an attempt to explain Ki over a couple of pages near the start. So far as I recall he ends up discussing biorhythms (the effect of the length of a day/ lunar cycle/ orbit around the sun etc. on living creatures. They're complicated but well defined in a scientific sense) and suggests that Ki might be related to them. (We're all affected by thousands of biorhythms, some older than the planet. Some are tiny, some are big.)
There's a lot about the idea of "ki" that he explains before that, though. It's worth having a look for at any rate.

If you've got a report maybe you should think about what various people think ki is rather than what it is. Deciding what it is sounds very difficult, finding peoples opinions and thinking about those would be easier, and a lot better in fact.

Good luck!

andrew
Old 03-28-2001, 10:53 AM   #43
Anubis Gohan
Do symbol Still

Still is there any way... and yet if not will somewone teach mne your own ki devolpment ways?

Old 03-28-2001, 12:16 PM   #44
ronin_10562
Get the book " Ki in Daily Life" by Koichi Tohei

Spend every waking moment doing the breathing exersice and in 3 to 6 months you will be amazed at your Ki

Walt

Walter Kopitov
Old 03-30-2001, 12:02 PM   #45
giriasis
United_States
learning ki quickly...

Anubis,

What people are trying to let you know is that there is no quick way to learn about ki. Using ki is not like Luke Skywalker using the Force. (and I mean this without being derogatory, I love Star Wars myself.) Ki is much more subtle than that. The book "Ki:a road that anyone can wallk" is a good book, but if you really want to learn more about ki you need to get yourself into a dojo. You also need to give yourself the patience to learn it.

If you want to find a Ki Aikido school go to the dojo search found here on aikiweb and on http://www.aikidofaq.com Some schools list their times on the web others you'll have to call and find out.

Good luck,
anne marie giri
Old 03-30-2001, 12:11 PM   #46
Jim23
Anne Marie,

I think he's legging your pull.

"If that dosent exist please teach me to relase ki energy in bursts."

Jim23

Old 03-30-2001, 03:52 PM   #47
giriasis
United_States
Think not do I. 13 years old he is. Wishes to use ki he does.

speak correctly with yodaese need you to learn.

In other words. Jim I really think he is serious. I have seen this belief on other (non-martial arts bulletin boards). Given movies (Star Wars)and cartoons (Dragonballs), it is not unusual to find young kids assuming that ki is something magical and supernatural that they can do amazing things with. The problem comes from George Lucas basing "the Force" on Ki/Chi/prana/God. These words are real words used in our daily lives. Because that is real the logical jump is made that they possess supernatural powers.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 03-30-2001, 03:58 PM   #48
Jim23
I've found someone who understands my sense of non-humour! AND she does aikido. Hey Anne Marie

Check out his profile.

Jim23

Old 03-30-2001, 04:30 PM   #49
giriasis
United_States
i just checked his profile...

Yup.

He meets the profile of those people I mentioned on "other bulletin boards."

May the Force be With You

Anne Marie Giri

Old 03-30-2001, 04:49 PM   #50
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Quote:
giriasis wrote:
...The problem comes from George Lucas basing "the Force" on Ki/Chi/prana/God. These words are real words used in our daily lives. Because that is real the logical jump is made that they possess supernatural powers.

Anne Marie Giri
WHAT???

Are you saying I can't use the Force by reading webpages like A Way to the Force by Yoda of Dagobah!!!

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!