Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on



Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 04:24 AM   #26
Darren_Friend
Dojo: Yoshinkan honbu
Location: Tokyo
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5
Australia
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
The presenter of the "Go Warrior" program is Roland Osbourne. I'm also interested in his MA background. Some weeks ago, the crew was in Malaysia and they got the BJJ, TKD, Aikido, Silat people do a demo to launch the show in Malaysia. Despite the program covering a lot of Yoshinkan style of aikido, the presenter was very opinionated that aikido is a fake martial art in his discussion with the local aikido people. I would like to know his definition of a fake MA.

Regards

David Y
Really. Well I spent a week with Roland while filming the Aikido Go Warrior segment. he's a nice guy, but I don't think he knows much about budo . He is basically good at kicking and looking like an action star, but has little real power in his movements. I am disappointed that he feels that way and more disappointed that we treated him with kid gloves for the week. Roland should know about fake MA though, he has a 4th dan in "American Martial arts", lists himself as an aikido expert on his website, unfortunately I didn't see the site till after the shoot was finished.

He is however successful in MA as a business, has many students and gave me many tips on how to sell MA, package dojo courses with lots of trimmings, recruit your own students to boaster sales and all sorts of other neat tips on making a buck out of your art.

Roland if you are out there, come back and train with us again, please.

Darren
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:36 AM   #27
KamiKaze_Evolution
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 125
Malaysia
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Darren Friend wrote:
Really. Well I spent a week with Roland while filming the Aikido Go Warrior segment. he's a nice guy, but I don't think he knows much about budo . He is basically good at kicking and looking like an action star, but has little real power in his movements. I am disappointed that he feels that way and more disappointed that we treated him with kid gloves for the week. Roland should know about fake MA though, he has a 4th dan in "American Martial arts", lists himself as an aikido expert on his website, unfortunately I didn't see the site till after the shoot was finished.

He is however successful in MA as a business, has many students and gave me many tips on how to sell MA, package dojo courses with lots of trimmings, recruit your own students to boaster sales and all sorts of other neat tips on making a buck out of your art.

Roland if you are out there, come back and train with us again, please.

Darren
Roland can't escape at the end of all!

KamiKaze
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:40 AM   #28
Steven
 
Steven's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
Location: Orangevale, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 602
United_States
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote:
Ah Boon,

Farid informs me that Thomas Makiyama will appears in Tonight, Thomas Makiyama is the founder of Keijutsukai and Keijutsukai is a branch of Yoshinkan style. Anything, there's belongs to Aikikai style.
Keijutsukai is not a branch of Yoshinkan. It is a completely independent organization. The IYAF is the only branch of Yoshinkan.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:45 AM   #29
Steven
 
Steven's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
Location: Orangevale, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 602
United_States
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Darren Friend wrote:
The go warrior series went to air in Australia and Asia week. I believe it also was shown in the UK. For details on the series visit

www.go-warrior.com

I was the Aikido Coordinator for the show, you can see some behind the scenes shots on our website

www.aikido-yoshinkan-nsw.com

Its not an in depth documentary, but rather introduces each of the arts and gives some background on their history, culture and the personalities training. Hopefully it will inspire more people to train aikido, especially Yoshinkan Aikido
Hi Darren - good to see you online. Please send my regards to the honbu gang. Nice website. What does NSW mean?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:49 AM   #30
Steven
 
Steven's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
Location: Orangevale, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 602
United_States
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Hi Darren - good to see you online. Please send my regards to the honbu gang. Nice website. What does NSW mean?

Never mind ... New South Whales ... DOH. I'll add this site to my dojo list if you don't mind.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #31
Darren_Friend
Dojo: Yoshinkan honbu
Location: Tokyo
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5
Australia
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Never mind ... New South Whales ... DOH. I'll add this site to my dojo list if you don't mind.
Hi Steven, Thank you and please do, but note that although there are lots of whale sitings along the coast the state is New South Wales
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:03 PM   #32
Ian Williams
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 136
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

thar she blows!!! aaaahhh me hearties

Tsutsumi Ryu Jujitsu
Adelaide, South Australia

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:04 PM   #33
Steven
 
Steven's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
Location: Orangevale, CA
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 602
United_States
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Darren Friend wrote:
Hi Steven, Thank you and please do, but note that although there are lots of whale sitings along the coast the state is New South Wales
DOH!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:20 PM   #34
xuzen
 
xuzen's Avatar
Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 965
Malaysia
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
David Yap wrote:

The presenter of the "Go Warrior" program is Roland Osbourne. I'm also interested in his MA background. Some weeks ago, the crew was in Malaysia and they got the BJJ, TKD, Aikido, Silat people do a demo to launch the show in Malaysia. Despite the program covering a lot of Yoshinkan style of aikido, the presenter was very opinionated that aikido is a fake martial art in his discussion with the local aikido people. I would like to know his definition of a fake MA.

Regards

David Y
Poor Roland, being criticized in this forum where he doesn't even have a chance to tell his side of story. Anyway he looks like a nice boy, those sort you would love to bring home to meet the parents type.


Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 07:37 AM   #35
Jeff Stallard
Dojo: Circle of Harmony / Columbus, Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 23
United_States
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Ryan Alan wrote:
I have a copy of the show on Aikido saved to my computer, I'd be happy to share it however at 862 MB (1hr at near tv quality) its a little big. I'll upload to an ftp server if someone has the space and bandwidth to host the file for others to download.
If anyone volunteers to host this file, I'd love to grab it. Tell you what...let me look into the cost of an FTP server and see if it's something I can do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:42 AM   #36
frivolouspig
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Canada
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Jeff Stallard wrote:
If anyone volunteers to host this file, I'd love to grab it. Tell you what...let me look into the cost of an FTP server and see if it's something I can do.
I converted it to DIVX now its under 400 MB hopefully that will help. (if someone has an old computer that they can leave on 24hrs a day and a high speed connection + a little experience with bittorrent you could host the file that way (check with your ISP to make sure they don't charge extra if you upload too much if you plan to do this)

BTW the episode I have is this one (http://www.historytelevision.ca/deadlyarts/aikido.htm)

Last edited by frivolouspig : 07-29-2004 at 08:45 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:01 AM   #37
DanielR
Location: New York
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 157
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Any way of sharing that via eDonkey or somesuch? If enough people get it (or pieces of it) and share it at least from time to time...

Daniel
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 09:44 AM   #38
frivolouspig
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Canada
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Daniel Rozenbaum wrote:
Any way of sharing that via eDonkey or somesuch? If enough people get it (or pieces of it) and share it at least from time to time...

If anything I'll bit torrent it (but the problem being I can only run it from 7am till 4 or 5 pm and as soon an my computer goes offline then the source is lost (and people in different time zones wont be able to get it)

I'll think about it, but I would still rather get it on a computer/server that can run 24/7
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:38 AM   #39
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,837
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Hi folks,

If I could just jump in and ask people to please stop discussing the active sharing of copyrighted material on this site... Although I'm all for the exchange of information and such, I still do subscribe to the notion of materials being under copyright. Thank you.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:20 AM   #40
DanielR
Location: New York
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 157
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Apologies, Jun, you're absolutely right.

Daniel
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:03 PM   #41
frivolouspig
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Canada
Offline
Thumbs down Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

I contacted them to see if they would mind, for now the sent me this:

Thank you for contacting History Television.

Many of the programs seen on History Television are available on home video by
visiting our boutique at http://www.viewerplus.com/Splash.asp?Stat=History or
by calling Viewer Plus at 1-877-843-9371.

Please note that at this time, episodes from the Turning Points of History
series are unavailable for purchase.

For the programs listed below, please feel free to directly contact the specific
production companies/distributors:

* Deadly Arts
Please send your video request to swhiteley@creativeanarchy.com

feel free to bug swhiteley to let us share (as I'm about to do)

also note: In Canada it's completely legal to make a copy of pretty much anything provided it's for personal use and not for profit. (as I understand it anyhow)

Last edited by frivolouspig : 07-29-2004 at 01:16 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:28 PM   #42
akiy
 
akiy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 5,837
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Hi Ryan,

Please understand that there is a world of difference between keeping a personal backup and distributing said material on the Internet.

Once again, please do not use these Forums as a medium in which to exchange copyrighted material. Thank you.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #43
frivolouspig
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Canada
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Hi Ryan,

Please understand that there is a world of difference between keeping a personal backup and distributing said material on the Internet.

Once again, please do not use these Forums as a medium in which to exchange copyrighted material. Thank you.

-- Jun
Even if we have permission from the copyright holders? Which I'm trying to get. I mean if they say no, then fine, but if they say ok why not?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:23 AM   #44
Jeff Stallard
Dojo: Circle of Harmony / Columbus, Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 23
United_States
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

There certainly is an argument to make for fair use (see US copyright law for details about fair use of copyrighted material). How strong that argument is...well that's up to you to determine. There are four points that judges look at when determining whether an infringement was fair use.

1. The purpose and character of your use. What is the intent of your use? In our case, it's purely educational, which is about as good a purpose as you can get.

2. The nature of the copyrighted work. Factual works lend themselves more to fair use, as does published material. Copying fictional works that have not yet been published are the hardest to justify.

3. The amount and substantiality of the portion taken. Copying the whole show looks bad for us. Generally speaking, the smaller you copy, the better your case for fair use.


4. The effect of the use upon the market. The effect on the market is zero since they're not selling the video. However, seeing as they COULD sell it at some point, this doesn't go too well in our favor.

"If I told you, you would not know; you simply would have been told. Study it thoroughly and I will ask you. You will answer and then you will know."
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:52 AM   #45
frivolouspig
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Canada
Offline
Smile Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Jeff Stallard wrote:
There certainly is an argument to make for fair use (see US copyright law for details about fair use of copyrighted material). How strong that argument is...well that's up to you to determine. There are four points that judges look at when determining whether an infringement was fair use.

1. The purpose and character of your use. What is the intent of your use? In our case, it's purely educational, which is about as good a purpose as you can get.

2. The nature of the copyrighted work. Factual works lend themselves more to fair use, as does published material. Copying fictional works that have not yet been published are the hardest to justify.

3. The amount and substantiality of the portion taken. Copying the whole show looks bad for us. Generally speaking, the smaller you copy, the better your case for fair use.


4. The effect of the use upon the market. The effect on the market is zero since they're not selling the video. However, seeing as they COULD sell it at some point, this doesn't go too well in our favor.
Very true, I'm still waiting for a response from them (the copyright holders). Hopefully it will be positive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:40 AM   #46
batemanb
 
batemanb's Avatar
Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Location: body in UK, heart still in Japan
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,029
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

I watched the Aikido episode last night, it was quite good actually. I wondered why, when they were talking about Aikido that they went to the Yoshinkan first? That`s just my curiosity though not an Aikikai vs Yoshinkan bias , I just thought that starting at the top of the tree and working down was more logical than starting at a branch and working back? It was good to see Inoue Sensei in action, and the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo mat space is HUGE!!!!!

The snippet on the Senshusei course was scary, even when I was young I don`t think I`d have been fit enough to walk through the door

Darren looks like a reasonably capable practicioner , as does his wife . I enjoyed the program last night, and over all I have enjoyed the series.

rgds

Bryan

Last edited by batemanb : 07-31-2004 at 01:42 AM.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:21 AM   #47
xuzen
 
xuzen's Avatar
Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 965
Malaysia
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

[quote=Bryan Bateman]I watched the Aikido episode last night, it was quite good actually. I wondered why, when they were talking about Aikido that they went to the Yoshinkan first? That`s just my curiosity though not an Aikikai vs Yoshinkan bias , I just thought that starting at the top of the tree and working down was more logical than starting at a branch and working back? It was good to see Inoue Sensei in action, and the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo mat space is HUGE!!!!!

It is refreshing to see some public viewing time dedicated to Yoshinkan style, most aikido documentaries concentrate on the Hombu style.

[quote=Bryan Bateman]The snippet on the Senshusei course was scary, even when I was young I don`t think I`d have been fit enough to walk through the door

There, evidence that aikidoka are no pushover (in terms of training anyway)! They don't brand aikido dojo as hell dojo in the early days for no reason.

[quote=Bryan Bateman]Darren looks like a reasonably capable practicioner , as does his wife . I enjoyed the program last night, and over all I have enjoyed the series.

Who is Darren's wife?

Regards,
Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:18 AM   #48
formerjarhead
Dojo: Okinawa Yoshinkan
Location: Okinawa, Japan
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

I was surprised that they went with Yoshinkan first but I'll bet it was due to the Tokyo Riot police learning this style. Just a thought
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:34 PM   #49
batemanb
 
batemanb's Avatar
Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Location: body in UK, heart still in Japan
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,029
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

Quote:
Boon Soh wrote:
[Who is Darren's wife?
If I`ve read this page correctly:

http://www.aikido-yoshinkan-nsw.com/...nguage=english

and got the faces right, the lady that does shihonage on Roland is Darren`s wife.

If I have made a mistake there, I apologise profusely.

rgds

BryAN

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #50
frivolouspig
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 29
Canada
Offline
Re: Go warrior on Discovery Channel

I finally got a reply on the email I sent asking for permission to give away a copy to Aikido students.


Quote:
I have forwarded your email to the executive producer as he makes these decisions.
- Sandra
It's not much, but at least it shows my request is being considered. I'll keep you guys updated. Cross your fingers
  Reply With Quote

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.



Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gathers the gas channel! asiawide Humor 5 10-15-2005 03:29 PM
Japanese sword on the History Channel batemanb General 12 11-29-2004 01:27 AM
Way of the Warrior on Discovery timcraig General 58 09-13-2003 12:18 PM
Aikido featured on the learning channel Graff General 21 10-23-2002 04:04 AM
Aikido on Discovery Channel AskanisoN General 6 09-18-2001 02:27 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 AM.



vBulletin Copyright © 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited
----------
Copyright 1997-2014 AikiWeb and its Authors, All Rights Reserved.
----------
For questions and comments about this website:
Send E-mail
plainlaid-picaresque outchasing-protistan explicantia-altarage seaford-stellionate