Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-21-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand
Argh! Grading tonight!

Hello all.

This is just an expulsion of nervous energy, so forgive me.
I am grading to 3rd kyu tonight. This will be my 4th grading since starting at my club, you would think I'd be getting my nerves under control but, no.
The last week has been a roller-coaster ride from composed to freaking out. I'm quietly confident but even as early as it is in the day (my grading is after work), I'm already starting to amp.
My whole body is abuzz with nervous energy. At this stage I'll have burnt out by tonight.
Can some of you suggest what you do to compose yourself before a grading.
I know my nerves will settle after about 15 minutes into the test, but that usually means my first 15 minutes of technique is utter rubbish.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 06-21-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Re: Argh! Grading tonight!

I don't have any helpful advice, but good luck on your test
Old 06-21-2004, 05:35 PM   #3
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Warm, relaxing shower......massage, err, ummmmm "pleasant company".
These things help this old married man calm down and try to center.
It is also cool to spend a while warming up on the mat before hand. Our Sensei usually gives us about an hour to "burn off" whatever nervous energy we need to. Then test. (Works pretty well)
Good luck.......(BREATHE)
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 06-22-2004, 12:01 AM   #4
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Well, it's too late for this advice to be used this time but maybe for later

I like to go into the dojo a couple of hours early and clean it. I'm there by myself and I keep it quiet. I dust, vacuum, take out the trash....whatever. It keeps me moving and done with the right mind is very um, cleansing...ooh, bad pun

Bronson

p.s. How'd the test go?

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 06-22-2004, 08:40 AM   #5
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Dean,

How's Aikido these days? Had I been around in time, I would have recommended all the above but also some time to meditate and calm the mind. When I first started aikido, I would get all nervous and worked up and so I would sit quietly for about 10 minutes before the actual test and calm everything down. Sensei picked up on my doing this and the next test or two he made that a part of the pre-test preparation.

Just sit quietly and let all the noises and outside distractions wash over and away from you. And... yeah, don't forget to breath.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #6
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

Thanks for the support and advice everyone.

As it turned out my afternoon became busy at work and my mind was distracted from the grading. This was a good thing. When I finished work and went to the dojo, I was in a much more relaxed state.
It turned out to be the most relaxing grading I'd gone through so far, its tempting to say it was easy. It wasn't exactly that, but I didn't mind if I made a mistake. I went with the flow, so to speak.

I was grading to 3rd kyu with one other and we had a 3rd kyu grading to 2nd kyu as well. So it was only three of us. I liked that.

I learnt a lot from the grading as well. First and foremost, technical errors became obvious (that goes without saying), I walked away from the test knowing what I need to work on. Secondly, the other aikidoka that were used as uke really performed well! They were all kyu grades lower than those grading and everyone lifted to meet the skill level. I was impressed with all of them.

Thanks again guys.

Dean.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 06-22-2004, 07:12 PM   #7
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Dean, it's probably too late for advice. But if you play any musical instrument, you could try it.
From my own experience playing something before a big event helps a lot to relax your mind and straigten you thoughts. I personally play violin.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:55 PM   #8
Robyn Johnson

United_States
Thumbs down Re: Argh! Grading tonight!

(Only just saw this thread)

Congrats on your grading, Dean! I'm glad it went well and that you felt relaxed. Congrats on making it to 3rd kyu!!!

Robyn