Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-18-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States
Testing vs demonstration

I just did my 5th Kyu demonstration last night. It's my first.
I was a nervous wreck until sensei distracted me with a shiny object, and a lot of mind-occupying games. After I got up in front and started tenkan, the pressure stopped.
I'm still new so I may be wrong, but in our dojo you are invited to demonstrate after sensei has watched you do the required techniques during regular class. It's not a test, she already knows you can do it. It really lessens the pressure.
Does this match anyone else's experience?
Old 06-18-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
PaulieWalnuts
Scotland
Re: Testing vs demonstration

No but i really like it. Well done
Old 06-19-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Quote:
Dan Guthrie wrote:
sensei distracted me with a shiny object
Years ago, in ATM, there was an article of a Yoshinkan dojo in Indiana that dropped testing and went to a system of grading demonstrations. There were some letters to the editor criticising the idea, but I thought it was a good one.

Charles Hill
Old 06-19-2004, 10:11 PM   #4
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

* Testing vs demonstration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was a nervous wreck until sensei distracted me with a shiny object, and a lot of mind-occupying games.

Works for me! Shiny objects, bits of string, trailing a ribbon on the ground for me to bat at...etc.
Simple games for simple minds (mine that is...I don't know yours)

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 06-20-2004, 07:40 AM   #5
dan guthrie
United_States

Oooh, pretty colors . . .
Old 06-20-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

In our school once a test candidate performs their test the candidate then teaches class for a few minutes while the board discusses the test. Long before that though students are invited to demonstrate/teach techniques during regular class. But all the while leading up to test day the candidate has been demonstrating to his/her sensei.

Testing vs. Demonstration hmmmmmmm. Depending on how one does a demonstration this could be a good thing. Maybe it is a word thing but I am an advocate of testing. In the beginning the standards are loose but as the student progresses the standard is raised to a higher level. For my last test I had two ukes that were trying very hard to connect with their strikes. If I were doing "demonstration" I do not feel my technique would have been efficient in protecting me.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 06-20-2004, 08:16 PM   #7
dan guthrie
United_States

I haven't seen any higher level "tests" yet but I think the same escalation of quality is part of each level. The fourth and third kyu tests I've seen were much more demanding than my demonstration. The point for me, at least, is that a demonstration doesn't lessen my effort or sincerity. I still have to do the technique properly. You can't fake Aikido, at least I can't. The only downside I can see is that it might take a little longer to get to the next level. Higher ranking isn't on my "to do" list. The demonstration is a rite of passage.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
senseimike

Dojo: Rising Star Aikido
United_States

Mr Laizure and myself share the same instructor, and have both gone on to start our own schools. I feel that we both handle promotions in the same way. The chief instructor of the dojo knows if the testing candidate is going to pass or fail the test before the arts are ever demonstrated. As far as my school goes, the students never really know when they are going to be tested or in what manner they will be tested in. I've given a couple weeks notice, a week's notice, a day's notice, an hour's notice and on a few occasions, informed them that they had just tested after it took place. I guess that I use a combination of both methods, it all depends on the student and the situation. In saying this, I don't feel that it suggests favoritism as each student is keyed up and nervous for their respective tests. I feel that the nervousness is important because a real life situation that might require you to use your training is not going to be a calm or pleasant experience. The testing helps you perform under pressure and helps build your composure.

Mike Taylor
Rising Star Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes