Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-17-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
AsimHanif
What Aikido season are we in?

If:
Winter = death
Spring = growth
Summer = life
Fall = decline

What aikido season are we in? Why?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Re: What Aikido season are we in?

Clearly, we're in "Springer" season. It's just like Spring, but with more flying chairs.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
AsimHanif

Oh Shihonage,
I thought for a moment you meant "Jerry Springer" season. That brings up strange thoughts....
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
shihonage
United_States

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:
I thought for a moment you meant "Jerry Springer" season..
So did I.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:44 PM   #5
AsimHanif

Yeah, we're slow here in VA. Not as culturally enlighted as you West Coast folks.
But I could have sworn I caught a chair or two on this forum at some point.
Really though, I feel as though we are going through the Fall of aikido. Some of our elder Shihan are passing on and it will be up to that next Tier to plot the next course. But I say Fall because to me there seems to be some uncertainty within some of the organizations as those who studied directly under the Founder a becoming fewer.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:54 PM   #6
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

It is true that the lives of an earlier generation are drawing to a close...but let's not be too pessimistic, here. Your seasonal analogy is perhaps a good one, in that we have all seen more than one winter. (Except for Cali boys like me. Dude, what's a winter?)
Old 06-18-2004, 09:49 AM   #7
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Hmm... it's a combination:

Due to many senior shihan/sensei being in their last days, I'd say many in the hierarchy will bring in a "Winter" of sorts creating much change in the overall world of Aikido.

With the third Doshu stepping up to the plate and making changes at Aikikai (promoting many aikidoka to 7th dan, touring the world, etc.) I would say this is giving new life and bringing on a "Spring" that will refresh the world Aikido and help make it new again.

For most, however, aikido is an ever expanding martial art that is growing and becoming more popular. I see the number of aikidoka growing overall and that many are finding homes in established dojos. Organizations are becoming more streamlined with defined expectations of ability and rank. This to me is symbolic of a "Summer" season and is further anchoring and strengthening that which is already established.

Like aikido teaches us, life is all about Change. Nothing remains the same else it would stagnate and thankfully, I don't EVER see that happening in aikido.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 06-18-2004, 12:55 PM   #8
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

Winter = death?
Naaaah!
Winter's the prettiest of the seasons; when the land sleeps gently under a soft blanket, the air is a living diamond, and arsaniit paints the night sky in living fire.
Autumn's far from a decline; it's the Earth's showtime; where the forests put on in their best finery in celebration before undressing for sleep.
It's all in how you look at it.
As for Aikido; it's springtime. Whenever one new aikido student starts; a new bud bursts forth on the Aikido tree.
Cheers!

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:34 PM   #9
akiy

Quote:
Dave Organ wrote:
Winter = death?
Naaaah!
Heh -- I'd disagree, too. I'd more call it a season of regeneration...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

I'm not sure about other guys, but to me the fall was never a decline (at least the early fall with red leaves and beautiful sunsets). I also would not name a refreshing winter morning - a death. It's not about season, it's all inside us
Old 06-19-2004, 05:53 PM   #11
AsimHanif

Dave and Jun - I wouldn't disagree with you on how you view the seasons. It's quite valid. For the purpose of initializing conversation I used an "IF" statement. Not that the statement was true or false.
John B - you also make good points as usual. I didn't mean to be pessimistic. I think change is good. Whenever there is change as you described- you will have some who embrace it and others who will not.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:17 PM   #12
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

On a personal level, it is definately "spring" here in my training. New growths and ever-revealing insights. (some mine, some others, like my friend Boz for instance.)
Spring-fling is a common marketing term... seems oddly appropriate in this context. hmmmmmm
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 06-20-2004, 09:36 PM   #13
theblakeman
Dojo: Aikido Tacoma
United_States

Perhaps "rest" would be a more optimistic word than "death"?

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com