Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #1
Sue Trinidad
Dojo: Island Aikido
United_States
Tapping out--when?

Thanks in advance for your patience with another newbie question.

I don't know whether tapping out means "yeah, that's the technique, nice job" or "quit it, that hurts." Or--maybe those two things are the same?

The corollary question, then: as nage, do I keep working the hold or pin until uke taps out? Or does that mean I've gone farther than I need to?
Old 06-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #2
Brehan Crawford
Re: Tapping out--when?

I imagine this is something that varies in dojo-to-dojo culture.

But where I train, we breathe out, relax, and accept the pin to a degree of mild discomfort so as to receive the stretch. When it becomes painful we tap, and nage lets up gently.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

The tap means "stop." As such, it can be used to mean a variety of things.
If the purpose of a pin is to control, then pain or discomfort is not the primary issue; "can I move/get up/do I even want to try?" is the issue. A really good pin is one that has me nailed, immobilized, knowing there's not any point in trying to get up, AND not feeling any pain so long as I'm relaxed and still. At that point, I'll tap because the technique was successfully done, and if I don't tap we will sit there all day.
If I'm in real pain, I'll tap right away, but I may tell my partner that it was only because of pain compliance, not being truly pinned.
Optimally, things are as Brehan describes: I'm immobilized, but the pin is being applied slowly enough for me to get a gooooood stretch and tap when it's enough of one.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Brehan Crawford

That's a good point about immobilization, Janet. If I'm able to get out of the pin I won't tap, and in some cases there is no pain or discomfort from the pin, but I'm still not able to move, so I'd tap then too.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:51 PM   #5
Jordan Steele

Tap out before you pass out or when you feel you have lost. Nobody is going to let you tap out in real life, so keep a martial spirit on the ground and respect nage by tapping out if he/she performs the technique properly, but keep an open mind.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
Sue Trinidad
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
The tap means "stop." As such, it can be used to mean a variety of things.
If the purpose of a pin is to control, then pain or discomfort is not the primary issue; "can I move/get up/do I even want to try?" is the issue. A really good pin is one that has me nailed, immobilized, knowing there's not any point in trying to get up, AND not feeling any pain so long as I'm relaxed and still. At that point, I'll tap because the technique was successfully done, and if I don't tap we will sit there all day.
If I'm in real pain, I'll tap right away, but I may tell my partner that it was only because of pain compliance, not being truly pinned.
Optimally, things are as Brehan describes: I'm immobilized, but the pin is being applied slowly enough for me to get a gooooood stretch and tap when it's enough of one.
This is exactly the info I needed. Thank you!

When tapping out was first explained to me by one of the sempai, she just said, "You can always tap out if it hurts"--which I think I misinterpreted to mean that was the only thing it meant.

Sue
Old 06-08-2004, 09:17 PM   #7
gilsinnj

Dojo: Aikido Mt. Airy
United_States

What you all have said is correct.

The problem is that a lot of Aikido dojo's don't practice this way. Some of the dojo's that I've visited make this big show of tapping out and making their Sempai or partner look like they are really hurting them, but they really aren't doing that much.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:51 AM   #8
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

As uke, it depends upon how stiff or flexible your joints are. If you're stiff, tap out when it hurts. If you're flexible, tap out just before it hurts. This will help you to avoid injury.

As nage / tori, try to develop some sensitivity towards your partner's arm. As you feel their muscles start to tense, you know they are close to tapping, so slow your pin and get ready to stop. It's kind of like approaching a junction when driving :-) This way you won't cause your training partners an an injury.

(This advice is intended for newbie students to ensure they keep training safely!)

Happy training!

Ruth
Old 06-09-2004, 09:35 AM   #9
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I'm with Ruth...I've been told by senior aikidoka that people often wait way too long to tap out, ending up with badly injured shoulders later on. It seems to especially happen to young studs who refuse to tap out unless in severe discomfort. Surprisingly, I hear this even from people like Robert Mustard Sensei...one of the real tough guys in the yoshinkan. You'd think he'd be as gung ho as anybody, but he was quite clear about problems he now has after years of abuse to the shoulder joints. I think he would view a lot of that abuse as un-necessary now.

That said, there are different standards of tapping for different dojo, as has been mentioned before. In Daito ryu, the tapping lets shite know that the technique is being strongly applied, but not necessarily to stop. The tapping there tends to be very emphatic, and in my yoshinkan training we've often been told to make sure we tap loudly enough so that the message is clear to shite. In some other places I've trained, its just a drumming of fingers on the mat. Different strokes...when in Rome...and about a hundred other cliches I can't think of right now...

Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 06-09-2004 at 09:39 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #10
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

The one that's unclear to me is when uke is stiff enough that he wants to tap out before the pin is actually established. Should nage look for a non-painful way to ease uke into the pin, or just stop at the tap? This seems to come up the most with sankyo--we have aa lot of older students (including me) whose wrists are very sensitive to sankyo, and sometimes you can't even get to the sankyo pin because the intermediate steps are already painful.

I tend to be macho about ikkyo and nikyo, and have been warned that if you're going to do so, your arm must *always* be bent--never let nage apply a lot of force to a straight arm. I feel I learned a lot about the pin mechanics from one wriggly teenage partner who never, ever let a pin go untested. The culmination of our practice together, after I had tried wriggling out of a few of his, was having him show off a fancy pin where he captured both my arms and then sat on me, waiting for me to figure out how to tap with no hands!

Mary Kaye
Old 06-09-2004, 10:50 AM   #11
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

With your feet!

In your first scenario, I try to go really slowly but with good control. Sometimes works, and uke gets a nice safe stretch...sometimes doesn't work at all. Oh well...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-09-2004, 02:01 PM   #12
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Mary Kuhner wrote:
The one that's unclear to me is when uke is stiff enough that he wants to tap out before the pin is actually established. Should nage look for a non-painful way to ease uke into the pin, or just stop at the tap?
To me tap means stop. Period. It HAS to or it is meaningless as a safety signal.
After releasing, it may be appropriate to discuss with uke the stiffness issue or refer it to the instructor, depending on dojo/individuals.
But I do try to keep in mind that, while I am responsible to not harm my partner, I'm not responsible for my partner's training.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 06-09-2004, 02:10 PM   #13
paw

Tap early, tap often ---- bjj maxim
Old 06-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #14
jxa127

One of the funniest things I ever read on the internet was when somebody posted a question along the lines of, "How do you get out of a (some complicated name) choke?"

Somebody else answered, "I'd tap."

Anyway, at my dojo, we tap after we've tested a pin and found it solid. We'll also tap if in pain, but our overall philosophy is that pins shouldn't hurt that much, but they should immobilize and/or prevent further attack.

Right now, I've got an injured shoulder that is probably 80% back to normal (even after physical therapy). I tap "early and often" to protect that shoulder. I do so even though the guys I train with know about my injury. I've found that people generally forget instructions like "go easy on my right shoulder." My tapping helps remind them.

Regards,

----
-Drew Ames
Old 06-09-2004, 10:17 PM   #15
Sue Trinidad
United_States

Maybe I am oversimplifying, but tapping out = "uncle" seems like the rule (given, naturally, that nage is doing his/her aiki best not to hurt uke).
Old 06-10-2004, 02:49 AM   #16
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Kuhner wrote:
This seems to come up the most with sankyo--we have aa lot of older students (including me) whose wrists are very sensitive to sankyo, and sometimes you can't even get to the sankyo pin because the intermediate steps are already painful.
Mary Kaye
If this happens to me (as nage), I release the twist on the wrist enough to stop the pain yet maintain the control, then apply the pin as usual.

It's all about sensitivity.

During my Shiatsu practitioner training I learned how to detect tension in the different muscles of a limb while moving and stretching that limb. It's something anybody can learn! And of course it has immediate application to Aikido

Ruth

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!