Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-04-2004, 04:24 PM   #51
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
Re: Can I get your thoughts on my Dojo/Sense

Quote:
There is no way I am going to believe someone legitimately has 10 blackbelts.
Soke Russel McCartney Sensei (my sensei) has over 25 legitmate dan ranks in different japanese arts that he has spent his entire life practicing.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 06-04-2004, 05:50 PM   #52
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Nathan Gidney wrote:
Soke Russel McCartney Sensei (my sensei) has over 25 legitmate dan ranks in different japanese arts that he has spent his entire life practicing.
Maybe, but there's some creative accounting there, it seems. In one bio. for example, it states that he has "six degrees of black belt combined in Karate, Aikido and Aikijutsu" which might work out to 2nd dans in each - not much more than an advanced beginner, and different than either dan ranks in 6 martial arts, or a 6th dan rank in one martial art. For some reason (I've never seen it in Japan), westerners often try to inflate their dan rankings by claiming, for example, to hold "three blackbelts", which makes it seem as if they hold three seperate rankings, when they actually hold just a single 3rd dan.

To his credit, though, he's straightforward about having founded Ishi Yama Ryu on his own.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-04-2004, 08:50 PM   #53
Mark Mebus
Dojo: Bucks County Aikido, doylestown pa
United_States

Mark,

If you live in perkasie you are probably only 10 minutes or so from the dojo i train at. It is called Bucks County Aikido and the chief instructer there is George Lyons. Lyons Sensei was a direct student of T.K. Chiba who was uchi deshi of O-sensei. he is ranked 5th dan and is a registered shidoin with usaf western region under Chiba sensei. No sneaky extra ranks here, haha.

check it out at www.buckscountyaikido.com

It is a great place to train and there are other younger people there as well so if you are started with your child it would be good.

A friend of mine actually trained at Saboten ryu for a while and from what he said it sounded like the guy only really wanted money. Most of the other dojos in the area seem to have a complete opposite approach so i'm sure no matter where you end up it will feel a bit better.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:35 PM   #54
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai

I'd take Mark Mebus up on his suggestion; George Lyons is an excellent aikidoka! Do yourself the favor and check him out.

Also, Donovan Waite is not too far away, and he's outstanding as well. Too much talent with just these two to limit yourself to someone with dubious credentials......
Old 06-04-2004, 10:16 PM   #55
Michael Neal

Quote:
Nathan Gidney wrote:
I think that is a bunch of baloney! 25 legitimate dan ranks? Not even Ueshiba could have achieved that honestly.

Another thing that raises alarm bells is the title Soke.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 06-04-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:50 AM   #56
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Jon Harris wrote:
I can be a monk?! How cool is that?
Do you have that address handy?
Unfortunately I lost it long ago

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 06-05-2004, 08:33 AM   #57
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
I think that is a bunch of baloney! 25 legitimate dan ranks? Not even Ueshiba could have achieved that honestly.

Another thing that raises alarm bells is the title Soke.

Nishio Shoji--"8th dan aikikai he also holds 7th dan Iaido, 6th dan Judo and 5th dan karatedo."

8+7+6+5=26

But I hear those alarm bells,too. Anyone willing to call themselves Soke hasn't read Bodiford. (giggle)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #58
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:

Nishio Shoji--"8th dan aikikai he also holds 7th dan Iaido, 6th dan Judo and 5th dan karatedo."

8+7+6+5=26
I note that Nishio's also been training a whole lot longer than the guy in question.

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
But I hear those alarm bells,too. Anyone willing to call themselves Soke hasn't read Bodiford. (giggle)
For those who are interested, the article is here.

Best,

Chris

Old 06-05-2004, 03:26 PM   #59
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I think that is a bunch of baloney! 25 legitimate dan ranks? Not even Ueshiba could have achieved that honestly
Why is this so hard to believe?

http://www.ishiyamaryu.com/RMprofile12-1-2k.htm

"From his beginnings to date, he has accumulated the equivalent of twenty-seven degrees of black belt in five styles of swordsmanship and six degrees of black belt combined in Karate, Aikido and Aikijutsu"

His primary discipline is the sword which is what i learn from him. He is 6th dan in toyama ryu battojutsu. 6th dan does not get handed out like candy in japan. ESPECIALLY to an american. He also shattered the sen bon giri record in a way that no one else has even come close to. Bottom line is, this is not BS from some sokeship council (which he is not affiliated with by the way)

He has devoted his entire life to swordsmanship and has proven his technique time and time again. If you've ever seen him work or teach, you'll know he's the real deal.

But anyway that's not what this is about. This is about an aikidoka who lies about his credentials and from the sound of it, doesn't have the skill to deserve them. I'd say get out of that dojo, and get out fast. And personally, I would inform his other students of the deceit. People have a right to know the truth.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 AM   #60
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

I agree with the creative accounting statement. Holding an 8th dan in one art and a 6th dan in another and a 7th in another technically would add up to 21 dan ranks. However, saying you hold 21 dan ranks makes it sound like you have 21 separate black belts when in reality you hold multiple dan ranks or levels in 3 arts. Works as a marketing ploy but I find it somewhat misleading and self-aggrandizing. To me, dan ranks in the same art are just a progression of one's training and not separate ranks.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:52 AM   #61
aikidoc
United_States

Although McCarthey's background looks impressive, his bio is filled with a lot of vary vague references. He studied with high ranked masters yet never names one of them. He refers to his students placing in sanctioned and unsanctioned tournaments yet never identifies any of them. He uses such references to sanction the validity of his art yet provides no specifics. If you study with a high ranked master I think it is impossible to forget their name.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:29 PM   #62
BLangille

I have never seen an aikido website where someone places his photo this promenently with O Sensei. (A photo which is obviously edited to appear similar to that of O Sensei)

http://www.saboten-ryu.com/index_main.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	181  
Old 06-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #63
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
If you study with a high ranked master I think it is impossible to forget their name.
I once asked a fellow claiming 6 DAN in DR who his teacher's teacher was and he couldn't tell me. I asked a 5 KYU in our dojo about his teacher's teachers and he could go back four generations!

Caveat emptor.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 06-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #64
Kent Enfield

United_States

Quote:
Nathan Gidney wrote:
Why is this so hard to believe?

http://www.ishiyamaryu.com/RMprofile12-1-2k.htm

"From his beginnings to date, he has accumulated the equivalent of twenty-seven degrees of black belt in five styles of swordsmanship and six degrees of black belt combined in Karate, Aikido and Aikijutsu"
This isn't hard to believe. It's just not impressive.

I'm a nidan in kendo and a nidan in iaido, both from the All US Kendo Federation, hence the International Kendo Federation. If I wanted, and were in the right area of the country, I could switch to a World Kumdo Federation dojang not affiliated with the IKF. Since it's the same art, it wouldn't be difficult to retest for 2nd dan in kumdo. Let's suppose I then move to Tokyo. I could affiliate myself with the All Japan Iaido Federation and get nidan from them. I could also join the Haga Dojo, which practices pre-war style kendo and is not affiliated with the All Japan Kendo Federation. While there are differences, it wouldn't be that hard to get shodan. I could then switch to the Gembukan, another dojo not affiliated with the All Japan Kendo Federation, which teaches kendo with a stronger Hokushin Itto Ryu flavor. Again it wouldn't be that difficult to get shodan.

I'd then have "10 degrees of black belt" in various sword arts (2 IKF kendo, 2 IKF iaido, 2 WKF kumdo, 2 AJIF iaido, 1 Haga kendo, 1 Gembukan kendo), but I'd still be just a nidan kendo, nidan iaido--just one who has done a lot of organization jumping.

Kentokuseisei
Old 06-06-2004, 06:25 PM   #65
Michael Neal

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
I agree with the creative accounting statement. Holding an 8th dan in one art and a 6th dan in another and a 7th in another technically would add up to 21 dan ranks. However, saying you hold 21 dan ranks makes it sound like you have 21 separate black belts when in reality you hold multiple dan ranks or levels in 3 arts. Works as a marketing ploy but I find it somewhat misleading and self-aggrandizing. To me, dan ranks in the same art are just a progression of one's training and not separate ranks.
Yes , it is definately something that muddies the water.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:59 PM   #66
aikidoc
United_States

Brian.

Kind of makes him look like he thinks he's on a par with O'Sensei doesn't it? With his impressive background and all those degrees I guess it was a logical next step
Old 06-06-2004, 09:34 PM   #67
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Brian.

Kind of makes him look like he thinks he's on a par with O'Sensei doesn't it? With his impressive background and all those degrees I guess it was a logical next step

but O'Sensei doesn't have those nice embroidered cacti !!
Old 06-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #68
mrgorth
Dojo: Saboten Ryu

Quote:
Mark Mebus wrote:
Mark,

If you live in perkasie you are probably only 10 minutes or so from the dojo i train at. It is called Bucks County Aikido and the chief instructer there is George Lyons. Lyons Sensei was a direct student of T.K. Chiba who was uchi deshi of O-sensei. he is ranked 5th dan and is a registered shidoin with usaf western region under Chiba sensei. No sneaky extra ranks here, haha.

check it out at www.buckscountyaikido.com

It is a great place to train and there are other younger people there as well so if you are started with your child it would be good.

A friend of mine actually trained at Saboten ryu for a while and from what he said it sounded like the guy only really wanted money. Most of the other dojos in the area seem to have a complete opposite approach so i'm sure no matter where you end up it will feel a bit better.
I'll look into it. There doesn't seem to be any youth specific classes though, no?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:34 AM   #69
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Mark,

I don't know about the youth classes, but this is one of the dojo I told you about I think, and it is excellent. I believe you can find a review I did of a seminar there in my journal. I'd highly recommend them from my experience there.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-07-2004, 10:29 AM   #70
mrgorth

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Hi Mark,

I don't know about the youth classes, but this is one of the dojo I told you about I think, and it is excellent. I believe you can find a review I did of a seminar there in my journal. I'd highly recommend them from my experience there.

Ron
Thanks Ron. What do you think comparing this one with the one in North Wales?
Old 06-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #71
Mark Mebus
United_States

there aren't any youth classes specifically, we all train together and people really only train at a level that is fitting for their partner no matter what age.

all i can say is to check it out and see if you like it.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #72
mrgorth

Quote:
Mark Mebus wrote:
there aren't any youth classes specifically, we all train together and people really only train at a level that is fitting for their partner no matter what age.

all i can say is to check it out and see if you like it.
No problem. Can you tell me if there's a class where there happen to be a lot of kids?
Old 06-07-2004, 02:34 PM   #73
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hi Mark,

You're just going to have to try each of them out. My description really doesn't count for all that much. I can say that if I wasn't at the Doshinkan, either of these schools would probably suit me very well, but the Bucks county school is closer in style to the doshinkan. But that really doesn't mean much to you, does it?

Ya just gotta give 'em a try...

RT

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #74
Mark Mebus
United_States

Quote:
Mark Orth wrote:
No problem. Can you tell me if there's a class where there happen to be a lot of kids?

there are kids in any of the classes really. i'm sure your child would do fine. Like Ron was saying it hink the best thing would be to give it a try, and to try out other aikido dojos in the area too. There are alot of different styles of aikido around us so you are in a good position while looking for a new school.

I actually used to work in perkasie and i just thought "wow this guy is so close."
Old 06-08-2004, 12:14 AM   #75
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Hello to all,

I noticed that there have been a few references to our dojo in North Wales Pennsylvania in this thread - (thank you Ron, and it was great to train with you the other night) and I thought I would make a small introduction here: We are the Pennsylvania Dojo of Aikido Kenkyukai International (AKI). Kenkyukai basically means "research group." Aikido Kenkyukai is under the direct supervision of Takeda Yoshinobu, 7th dan, of Yokohama Japan ( http://aikidokenkyukai.com/takedashihan.html ) Takeda Shihan trained pretty much exclusively under the late Yamaguchi Seigo Shihan and that is our liniage. We are an Aikikai group.

AKI has been active in Australia for more than 20 years and we have many members there and in New Zealand. In North America, we have 4 main dojos: Nelson, BC, Canada, Santa Barbara California, Cape Cod, MA, and here in Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania dojo is a small, but dedicated group that was formed in 1996 by Takeda Shihan's student Lia Suzuki, 5th dan. Currently, another of Takeda Shihan's senior students, Kirisawa Naoki, 5th dan, is residing in the USA and is the chief instructor at the Pennsylvania dojo.

AKI maintains strong, ongoing connections with Takeda Shihan and his senior students who visit often. This is very important to us and we strive to maintain the same tradions and atmosphere and train with the same spirit as our parent dojo in Japan.

We welcome visitors always and extend an invitation to anyone who might be visiting or living in our area to come train with us. Keiko yarou yo!!

Warmest regards,

Steve Trinkle,
dojo secretary

P.S. We are having a little enbukai on Saturday July 3 at 1PM. The public is invited to watch and we hope other local dojo will offer demonstrations for their groups too.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!