Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-07-2001, 10:18 AM   #26
akiy

Quote:
Gene McGloin wrote:
The dojo is walking distance from the train station, but I don't think I could give accurate directions. Just ask for directions at the kissaten or maybe even at the station itself.
From what I've heard from people who trained there, the locals hardly know that there's an aikido dojo nearby...

Let me see if I can't get some accurate directions from someone.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-07-2001, 01:10 PM   #27
mj
Hi, can I just ask, if it's Ok, are you saying that you were refused entry to the dojo and treated disrespectfully? I am not saying I find it hard to believe, I just wondered if I picked it up wrong...

Old 04-07-2001, 02:35 PM   #28
Gene McGloin
Dojo: Bond St. Dojo
Quote:
mj wrote:
Hi, can I just ask, if it's Ok, are you saying that you were refused entry to the dojo and treated disrespectfully? I am not saying I find it hard to believe, I just wondered if I picked it up wrong...
Hi,

Simply put, I didn't feel welcome there. I didn't go to Iwama to practice, just to see the Shrine and take some pictures. I was told pics of the shrine were ok, but not the dojo. No problem. I was then told that I couldn't practice. I never mentioned wanting to practice nor did I bring any bags with me. The one american guy there wouldn't speak to me other than to say hello. The Japanese woman there wasn't responding to my Japanese wife's greeting or request to take pictures. So, not an altogether warm, fuzzy feeling. But hey we all have bad days, right?

I don't wish to imply that this is the standard way things are done in Iwama. I can't say that as I was only there once and don't know who I spoke with. However, I would not suggest to anyone visiting Japan to simply show up in any dojo without some prior notification of their arrival and some kind of an introduction. I believe, and have been told, that it is quite rude to simply drop in on a dojo and expect to practice for a day or two.

Regards,

Gene McGloin

Old 04-07-2001, 03:20 PM   #29
mj
Well... I suppose it IS O-sensei's shrine (jinja)... Hmmmm I don't know though. I mean, part of me agrees... part of me...(better shut up if I ever want to...) Wow. No disrespect to anyone is meant here. Personally, I'd love to train there. Or even take some pics. But on the other hand, I wouldn't want a bunch of tourists dragging dirt around the place, either. Of course, I don't mean Gene or any other poster, obviously. Maybe a letter of recommendation IS a good idea. Is that the Japanese (Eastern) way?

Old 04-08-2001, 01:30 AM   #30
MAX
Dojo: koshingu
Unhappy

Quote:
Gene McGloin wrote:
Quote:
mj wrote:
Hi,

Simply put, I didn't feel welcome there. I didn't go to Iwama to practice, just to see the Shrine and take some pictures. I was told pics of the shrine were ok, but not the dojo. No problem. I was then told that I couldn't practice. I never mentioned wanting to practice nor did I bring any bags with me. The one american guy there wouldn't speak to me other than to say hello. The Japanese woman there wasn't responding to my Japanese wife's greeting or request to take pictures. So, not an altogether warm, fuzzy feeling. But hey we all have bad days, right?

I don't wish to imply that this is the standard way things are done in Iwama. I can't say that as I was only there once and don't know who I spoke with. However, I would not suggest to anyone visiting Japan to simply show up in any dojo without some prior notification of their arrival and some kind of an introduction. I believe, and have been told, that it is quite rude to simply drop in on a dojo and expect to practice for a day or two.

Regards,

Gene McGloin

GENE,
Thanks for your posts on the subject and that goes for everyone.I think i will head to the Hombu first and get some arrangement there is possible as it sounds very ontop!I have heard a few experiences from people who have gone to view the place and only to take a few pictures and it does`nt seem to friendly.I mean.Alot of us probably will not get the chance to come to Japan again and so it will be the only opportunity to see these things.I know you have to be studying Iwama for a year before you can possibly train there,but I still want to visit the Shrine.There is a big ceremony there as you all know on the 29th.Its a shame I`ll be gone by then.
Thanks Tom.

There is only one Aikido!O'Sensei's.!
MAX....

Please visit our sponsor:

Koretoshi Maruyama European Seminar - Maruyama Sensei will be in Cumbria UK, 1st-3rd August, 2014