Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-21-2004, 10:54 AM   #76
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Steven Seagal

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
In any case, there were at least two child molestors who received high ranks from Kisshomaru doshu, so that alone doesn't confer sainthood.
Oh Chris,
Say it ain't so...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 09-21-2004, 12:22 PM   #77
davidraybell
Dojo: UCO Budo Society
United_States

I don't know about yall, but here in Oklahoma, we don't see a lot of Aikido.

Also, as a mass comm major, the power of mass media has been pounded into our heads from day one. you only get one opportunity to make your point clear. I'll admit that my first class was a college p.e. credit that sounded like a cool class to take. I had no idea what aikido was.

But then I took the class and -- lo and behold -- I'd seen these moves before! Seagal sensei did them in all of his movies! Cool, I get to learn to tear peoples arms off!

But, my sensei taught us that that isn't the way of Aikido. It's the way of harmony. No breaking guys arms off? No shattering people's knees? What about Seagal?

My sensei taught us that aikido is an adaptable art. That while we don't teach to snap peoples arms in two, if uke doesn't stop, you can. Other arts teach violence, but aikido teaches compassion.

That includes not talking bad about someone behind their back.

But what do I know, I'm just a white belt.
dave
Old 09-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #78
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
Oh Chris,
Say it ain't so...
If only it weren't - but then, the two cases I had in mind are fairly common knowledge. There are also other, lesser, instances of sexual harassment and/or abuse by high ranking Aikikai instructors that you come across now and then that are less well known. Now, I'm not saying that this is a common problem, but in any large group of people there are bound to be a few bad apples. My point was simply that the posession of a high rank doesn't mean that somebody ought to be exempt from scrutiny.

Best,

Chris

Old 09-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #79
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
David Bell wrote:
That includes not talking bad about someone behind their back.
Dave,

I'm not sure how its done in Oklahoma, but here in NY there is a big difference between "not talking bad about someone behind there back..." and "Saying it to their face." With that in mind, would you like to clarify exactly who you were speaking to and what you were trying, but not succeeding in saying in the above quotation...

Quote:
David Bell wrote:
But what do I know, I'm just a white belt
You may know more than you are letting on. I guess when you answer the question above, we shall all find out. Of course, it could turn out that you know less than you think - but hey, that is why we are all still practicing.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:04 PM   #80
davidraybell
United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
I'm not sure how its done in Oklahoma, but here in NY there is a big difference between "not talking bad about someone behind there back..." and "Saying it to their face." With that in mind, would you like to clarify exactly who you were speaking to and what you were trying, but not succeeding in saying in the above quotation
Apparently, I was off the mark. Forgive me. I was under the incorrect impression that the thread for the most part was "talking badly" about Seagal Sensei because of the way he practices and puts aikido to use.

I would like to try to clarify my position further. I have always been taught that O-sensei studied many arts and then began to develop aikido based on all of them. Also, that he never stopped learning, or perfecting aikido and that it is never perfect.

As always, please correct me if I am wrong. My sensei taught us that aikido is fluid. That it adapts to the situation. Sometimes a strike (atemi?) is warranted. More often, however, we avoid strikes. "Never meet force with force." He said that aikido is the way of harmony, and sometimes it is more harmonious to do something different, something outside the box so to speak. I hope that I have made things clearer, but I fear I have made them more difficult. So, I will quit while I am only slightly behind.

As for my signature, it is an adaptation of a USMC saying:
But, what do I know, I'm only a Lance Corporal.

But, what do I know, I'm only a white belt.
Dave
Old 09-21-2004, 10:56 PM   #81
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
David Bell wrote:
Apparently, I was off the mark. Forgive me. I was under the incorrect impression that the thread for the most part was "talking badly" about Seagal Sensei because of the way he practices and puts aikido to use.
Well, some people are talking badly about him, but they cloak their contempt by purporting to simply be enlightening the rest of us with the "facts" as they see them. Typically they are wrong, but hey, that doesn't seem to bother them. For example, judging by some of the "facts" presented here, my teacher began studying with Seagal Sensei while Seagal Sensei was a white belt... Having seen the videos of those trainings myself, sometimes I can't help but to wonder. Of course, when Seagal Sensei supposedly returned, according to these same facts, my teacher would have been studying by himself back in Japan. But hey, they read it in a book written by another pissed off ex-wife - who has nothing to gain by making it seem like Seagal was just a passing influence on the dojo there in Juso. Of course, I could be wrong. See, I didn't read the book.

Last time I checked, Rule number one was, "Believe none of what you hear or read and only half of what you see." But again, perhaps that is just the way it is in NY, and not Oklahoma or Hawaii.

Quote:
I would like to try to clarify my position further. I have always been taught that O-sensei studied many arts and then began to develop aikido based on all of them. Also, that he never stopped learning, or perfecting aikido and that it is never perfect.
Well, when in doubt, consult rule number one...

Quote:
As always, please correct me if I am wrong. My sensei taught us that aikido is fluid. That it adapts to the situation. Sometimes a strike (atemi?) is warranted. More often, however, we avoid strikes. "Never meet force with force." He said that aikido is the way of harmony, and sometimes it is more harmonious to do something different, something outside the box so to speak.
I think what you are saying, without saying it, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that what you saw Seagal Sensei do in the movies was outside of the box, according to the harmonious ways of Aikido - right? I would wait for you to concur. However, I think it important to remind you that they were only movies. Seagal Sensei, himself always used to say, "I don't make martial arts films, I make films that have martial arts in them." He also said, "I have never made an Aikido film." However, that never stops all the naysayers, and I have met plenty of them on and off the mat over the years, from complaining that what Seagal Sensei does isn't Aikido. I always ask them if they happened to have trained with him at any point, and they reply, "Well, he doesn't do aikido, so why would I...? I guess that they never heard of rule number one. Go figure.

I no longer participate in or read the discussion forums here on AikiWeb due to the unfair and uneven treatment of people by the owner/administrator.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:34 AM   #82
Aikilove
Dojo: Lunds Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Hey Shaun, I'm going to NY the first to the 13'th of October, any chance we can hook up? I'll by the first round...

Jakob Blomquist
Old 09-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #83
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Jakob Blomquist wrote:
Hey Shaun, I'm going to NY the first to the 13'th of October, any chance we can hook up? I'll by the first round...
Jakob,

If I am in town, there is a good chance. Please write me privately. Thanks.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:54 AM   #84
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
Well, some people are talking badly about him, but they cloak their contempt by purporting to simply be enlightening the rest of us with the "facts" as they see them. Typically they are wrong, but hey, that doesn't seem to bother them. For example, judging by some of the "facts" presented here, my teacher began studying with Seagal Sensei while Seagal Sensei was a white belt... Having seen the videos of those trainings myself, sometimes I can't help but to wonder. Of course, when Seagal Sensei supposedly returned, according to these same facts, my teacher would have been studying by himself back in Japan. But hey, they read it in a book written by another pissed off ex-wife - who has nothing to gain by making it seem like Seagal was just a passing influence on the dojo there in Juso. Of course, I could be wrong. See, I didn't read the book.
Well, if you have other dates, please feel free to post them. I was very open in stating that all of the dates came out of the book and from nowhere else.

FWIW, http://stevenseagal.com/ (which says that they are the "official site") says:

"Seagal Sensei received his 1st Dan from Koichi Tohei in Orange County in the summer of 1974"

Which is exactly what the book says, and what I stated in the earlier post...

It also says that he left for Japan immediatly after that, which again matches the book.

Since he was born around 1951-2, that seems about right, both for going to Japan, and for being sho-dan.

Now, he married Kelly LeBrock around 1987 and Above the Law came out in 1988 - we know that he had opened a dojo in california some time before that, so the 1979 date can't be so far off. Keep in mind that even the book says that he was in Japan occasionally while pursuing his activities in the US after 1979 - I cited that date since it seems to be more or less the end of his full time residence in Japan.

Once again, I haven't made any negative comments - not one. I've just discussed dates which are part of the public record, so there's really no need to get defensive.

Best,

Chris

Old 09-22-2004, 02:35 AM   #85
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
Well, if you have other dates, please feel free to post them. I was very open in stating that all of the dates came out of the book and from nowhere else.

FWIW, http://stevenseagal.com/ (which says that they are the "official site") says:

"Seagal Sensei received his 1st Dan from Koichi Tohei in Orange County in the summer of 1974"

Which is exactly what the book says, and what I stated in the earlier post...

It also says that he left for Japan immediatly after that, which again matches the book.

Since he was born around 1951-2, that seems about right, both for going to Japan, and for being sho-dan.

Now, he married Kelly LeBrock around 1987 and Above the Law came out in 1988 - we know that he had opened a dojo in california some time before that, so the 1979 date can't be so far off. Keep in mind that even the book says that he was in Japan occasionally while pursuing his activities in the US after 1979 - I cited that date since it seems to be more or less the end of his full time residence in Japan.

Once again, I haven't made any negative comments - not one. I've just discussed dates which are part of the public record, so there's really no need to get defensive.

Best,

Chris
Um, okay, I'll bite. Just a few thoughts.

1. If Seagal Sensei was born in 1951, how is he 19 in 1974?

2. As for the "official" website. I doubt that Seagal Sensei has even seen it. Most of the information on the Aikido page isn't even close to being correct, while some of it is so out of date, that it has got to be at least 5 years old.

3. If you aren't being offensive then I am not being defensive

4. As for negative comments, that is a matter that depends on one's level of perception. A person simply doesn't have to say anything at all and can still be totally negative. Do you think that I am the only one who happens to notice it? Let's check with our new friend David B...

Chris, I am not taking what you are saying as personal, or against me. I am not offended by your comments, nor do I think that you are being intentionally obtuse about the whole thing. However it would seem more honest if you didn't pretend to not know that others notice your bias... I mean, while we can't tell from your stark profile what your aikido leanings are, you are in Hawaii... Perhaps it is Tohei Sensei's magical "Ki" power that is affecting you, and you really aren't responsible for your own thoughts or comments. Does it really matter?

...about the only thing we know for sure is:

1. he abused alcohol and cocaine
2. he was a petty criminal
3. he was a typical silver-spoon, spoiled, rich kid
4. he owned a baseball team
5. he basically failed at everything that was handed to him
6, 7, 8, 9, & 10.... He lied, he lies, he will lie, he is a liar

....Oops, that's that other guy. Okay I guess, cause no one wants to admit the truth about him, either.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:41 AM   #86
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
For example, judging by some of the "facts" presented here, my teacher began studying with Seagal Sensei while Seagal Sensei was a white belt...
I haven't seen the book either but from what was posted here,
the timing did seem a little late from what Chinn Sensei told me in a casual conversation some months ago. He knew Seagal's first aikido teacher very well in California when Seagal was in Chinn Sensei's words "a scrawny but enthusiastic teenager" in the dojo. (Chinn Sensei's been in Aikido for almost 50 years, first Hawaii he started as a teenager under Tohei Sensei, then California)
(OC Aikido )
My recollection is Chinn Sensei described him as having ikkyu before going to Japan in late 60's. He may have done his shodan for Tohei Sensei in California or Japan. Seems more likely that would have happened in California. The conversation really was about other things around that period of time in the late 60's early 70's, but being a white belt in 1974 sounds a bit off.

Quote:
He also said, "I have never made an Aikido film."
That should give pause to those who like to drop his name as a way of describing what Aikido is by refering to what he does in Hollywood movies.

I have hours of private films of him teaching and demonstating Aikido at seminars. I have practiced with students that practiced in his aikido organization associated with the Tenshin dojo in L.A. I have no doubt he does Aikido. I just have big reservations about telling people who ask about aikido to think about Seagal movies or using his action stardom as some way of legitimizing aikido. I think that is a bit pathetic unless you are under 15.

Old 09-22-2004, 03:00 AM   #87
kironin

United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
... I mean, while we can't tell from your stark profile what your aikido leanings are, you are in Hawaii... Perhaps it is Tohei Sensei's magical "Ki" power that is affecting you, and you really aren't responsible for your own thoughts or comments. Does it really matter?

for the record, Chris is a pretty recent transplant to Hawaii.
From what I have seen him post on Aikido-l and other places over the years, he spent a long time in Japan training often at Aikikai Hombu.

Really Shaun, Hawaii has quite diversity of Aikido even though it's not as large as California. It's quite possible that Chris has never set foot in Ki
Aikido related dojo. Go down and visit Aikikai of Delaware.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:14 AM   #88
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
That should give pause to those who like to drop his name as a way of describing what Aikido is by refering to what he does in Hollywood movies.
I would agree. There are quite a few angles that can be drawn from it though. He meant that he didn't make a movie about aikido. He also meant that the characters he played were not aikidoka. Therefore, although he used aikido techniques at certain times, there was no implicit need to dress them up in harmonious outer layers.

Quote:
I have hours of private films of him teaching and demonstrating Aikido at seminars. I have practiced with students that practiced in his aikido organization associated with the Tenshin dojo in L.A. I have no doubt he does Aikido. I just have big reservations about telling people who ask about aikido to think about Seagal movies or using his action stardom as some way of legitimizing aikido. I think that is a bit pathetic unless you are under 15.
I would love to know where the footage originates, and with whom from the old LA dojo you trained. I was the dojo archivist and have all sorts of things that have never made it out to the public. The best videos are in Matsuoka Sensei's possession. Although we got to see them from time to time, copies weren't made. I have no doubt that he was doing aikido nor that we were doing his aikido. While I understand your reservations, I disagree for two reasons. First, there are very few places that you can do to see any "on the street" aikido - pure aikido, as aikido has been adapted, albeit in an inefficient, fragmented manner into many arts due to Seagal Sensei's influence. Second, do you think if Seagal Sensei didn't do aikido he would have been in the movies, or a house hold name? What I mean is, his stardom certainly is based upon his involvement in the art. He went from that scrawny, enthusiastic teenager to a world-renown mega-celebrity. Aikido being his chosen path certainly is legitimized by his transformation and accomplishments. Of course, Aikido doesn't need legitimizing for those who already practice, or are looking to practice. For the naysayers, though, like our friends over at bullshido.com, it may at least give them pause.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:26 AM   #89
Misogi-no-Gyo

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
for the record, Chris is a pretty recent transplant to Hawaii. From what I have seen him post on Aikido-l and other places over the years, he spent a long time in Japan training often at Aikikai Hombu.
Yes, I do believe he was in Saitama, Japan.

Quote:
Really Shaun, Hawaii has quite diversity of Aikido even though it's not as large as California. It's quite possible that Chris has never set foot in Ki Aikido related dojo. Go down and visit Aikikai of Delaware.
I didn't think he had been in a Ki society dojo. I was making light of his proximity to Tohei Sensei as a possible reason that he wasn't responsible for his own thoughts or posts. I thought that this was obvious. As for California, I have seen some of the worst Aikido in California, often just blocks away from our old dojo. Ever since we moved out of West Los Angeles, the scene has worsened. Count this as fair warning, "We'll be back!"

Old 09-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #90
AsimHanif

I won't be as diplomatic as Shaun.
You know Craig, you are a bit ridiculous. I was trying to take the high road but I think you really need a re-education.
Your attempt at legitimizing your argument is just silly. You really need to stop trying to make your case by spinning what other people say.

"That should give pause to those who like to drop his name as a way of describing what Aikido is by referring to what he does in Hollywood movies."

Duh...SS saying he hasn't made an Aikido film doesn't mean that he did not do any aikido in his films.

I suppose kicking and punching is not aikido to you but of course you believe in "no touch" throws. Give me a break.

"I just have big reservations about telling people who ask about aikido to think about Seagal movies or using his action stardom as some way of legitimizing aikido. I think that is a bit pathetic unless you are under 15."

Who said his movies legitimize aikido?

I would love to have you come to Harlem, the Bronx, or any other inner city and talk about Ki right from the start. Let's see how many lives you touch if that is your purpose or do you just like to hear your own voice?
Old 09-22-2004, 10:46 AM   #91
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
Um, okay, I'll bite. Just a few thoughts.

1. If Seagal Sensei was born in 1951, how is he 19 in 1974?
I don't know. Either one date or the other is inaccurate, he didn't go to Japan when he was 19, or he went when he was 19 and still a white belt. As I said before, if you have better information than me why not post it here?

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
Chris, I am not taking what you are saying as personal, or against me. I am not offended by your comments, nor do I think that you are being intentionally obtuse about the whole thing. However it would seem more honest if you didn't pretend to not know that others notice your bias... I mean, while we can't tell from your stark profile what your aikido leanings are, you are in Hawaii... Perhaps it is Tohei Sensei's magical "Ki" power that is affecting you, and you really aren't responsible for your own thoughts or comments. Does it really matter?
If you look through my posts you'll see that I have discussed and questioned dates and places for many people, including Morihei Ueshiba, Gozo Shioda, Minoru Mochizuki and others. Am I biased against them as well?

Best,

Chris

Old 09-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #92
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
for the record, Chris is a pretty recent transplant to Hawaii.
From what I have seen him post on Aikido-l and other places over the years, he spent a long time in Japan training often at Aikikai Hombu.
Basically, yes, although the longest time that I spent going to hombu on a regular basis was in the early 80's. I got tired of the crowds and spent most of the rest of my time in smaller dojo (some Aikikai, some not). Didn't do too much Ki Society, although I got a chance to train with Koretoshi Maruyama when he was still teaching with the Ki Society in Tokyo.

Anyway, still more or less Aikikai in Hawaii .

Best,

Chris

Old 09-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #93
kironin

United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
I didn't think he had been in a Ki society dojo. I was making light of his proximity to Tohei Sensei as a possible reason that he wasn't responsible for his own thoughts or posts. I thought that this was obvious.
Fine, I guess the humor was lost on me since it wasn't obvious to me that Hawaii is that close to Tochigi prefecture but I guess when you live in NY.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:54 PM   #94
kironin

United_States

Quote:
Asim Hanif wrote:
I would love to have you come to Harlem, the Bronx, or any other inner city and talk about Ki right from the start. Let's see how many lives you touch if that is your purpose or do you just like to hear your own voice?
Okay Asim, give me a date and location ?
My finances are a bit tight, but I will do my best.
I regret I haven't done as much as that sort of thing as I should. You might ask Steve Wolf about the community outreach programs they did at VKS (at least use to when George Simcox Shihan was alive and a driving force there). One of the female teachers as I recall ran a successful program for women inmates at some local prisons. This was focused on Ki training. I remember one of the instructor classes where she described how she went about the training with inmates. I think originally they got in to prison system to train guards but somehow this happened. My memory is vague as it's been quite a while.

Maida Sensei in California is doing something similar at the Santa Rita jail in California...
http://www.kiaikido.org/Workshops.html

Quote:
Ki Development in the Criminal Justice System

The NCKS offers ki development classes for individuals incarcerated either in jail or juvenile facilities. These sessions provide participants the opportunity to examine their own understanding of power and strength and reconsider the efficacy of anger and tension. Through lecture and participation in ki exercises, breathing and mediation, students experience a new possibility for responding and relating to the stress of incarceration. As one students said, "It's a cool "anger management class."

Quote:
Santa Rita Jail Personal Responsibility/Ki Development Class
Reading for Life
Reading for Life is a comprehensive pre-release program for low-literacy level students incarcerated in the County jails. Library service and literacy/life skills instruction is provided to the more than 4,000 men and women held in County jails through Jail Services. Reading for Life is designed to increase the literacy skills, self-sufficiency skills, sense of responsibility and self-esteem of its students.

"This class has helped by having more self-control, thinking about things before I act. And also relaxing more. Sensei gives out a lot of good information."

"There have been times when living in small quarters with another man I've tended to be upset, angry even hostile. In a way, this class has helped me to be more calm and patient. Because I realized that he is in there with me also. So what am I doing to irritate him? We have to live with each other so might as well make the best of it."

"The way I use this class is when things happen and I want to flash I find myself stopping and actually catching myself before doing things. Plus, I guess it helps me be more self-conscious. Even though lately I happen to daydream but I'm actually conscious that Iım daydreaming and see I'm working on it and this class is helping me accomplish that. It also helps me out in arguments on actually avoiding them."

"The things I learn about relaxation and concentration I apply to my life here. It is a remedy that rubs against the rough edges of my mind and body, thus making daily the rough edges smoother and more smoother. Daily these techniques are put into practice for a clearer conscious(ness). My anger is more in control and my choices are more clear."

Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 PM   #95
davidraybell
United_States

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
I think what you are saying, without saying it, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that what you saw Seagal Sensei do in the movies was outside of the box, according to the harmonious ways of Aikido - right?
Yes this is pretty much what I was trying to say. What he does isn't Aikido, but like so many others have said, it includes aikido.

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote:
Seagal Sensei, himself always used to say, "I don't make martial arts films, I make films that have martial arts in them." He also said, "I have never made an Aikido film."
So it wouldn't be a stretch to go the next step: "I have never made an Aikido film... I have made a film with Aikido in it..."

Other than that, let me pose the next question. Why do we care if Seagal Sensei is used to give a BASIC idea of what aikido is? Doesn't he use the foundation? Doesn't he use the techniques? Like I said, when I first started Aikido, that is what I expected. I was disappointed that there wasn't any contact like that. I was mad that I was learning this "soft art." But then I was taught about harmony and ki and the whole aikido principle and I'm glad that it isn't that way. In fact that is the reason I keep coming back.

I just came back from practice tonight where we were working on kote gaeshi (spelling?). I was uke and got flipped over my own arm and had to sit out because of the pain. (note I have several pins holding my wrist together) I am certain that some of the moves, no matter how movie fu they look are based in reality.

It's like advertising a Corvette. We talk about how it can do 175 mph and 0-60 in 5 seconds... But we don't teach you to drive it like that. Those are the things that get the average person to come test drive the car. It is up to us, the aikidoka to teach the new guy how to drive.

But what do I know, I'm just a white belt.
Dave
Old 09-24-2004, 01:11 PM   #96
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Quote:
...about the only thing we know for sure is:

1. he abused alcohol and cocaine
2. he was a petty criminal
3. he was a typical silver-spoon, spoiled, rich kid
4. he owned a baseball team
5. he basically failed at everything that was handed to him
6, 7, 8, 9, & 10.... He lied, he lies, he will lie, he is a liar
Are you all still talking about Segal Sensei or Pres. Bush?

Okay, that was funny... but seriously, people say anything and everything about famous people. I personally had very little respect for Segal until I saw his video,"Path Beyond Thought" and got to see some of his skill in aikido. True, he's now over weight and a bit full of himself... but the man can back up his talk with his aikido technique. As the chinese would say, his "kung fu" (fighting skill) is excellent!

um... okay. I'm done.

PS: Vote for Dubya!

PPS: For those of you wanting to Bush-Bash... don't do it! Jun will get ya!!

Old 09-24-2004, 01:23 PM   #97
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

Have you no shame? Steven Seagal is a high ranking Aikido Sensei, and he is not here to defend himself. Some of your allegations are a disgrace to both Sensei Seagal and Aikido. Why don't those who have "put this man on trial", take a look at their own flaws and guilt, before judging another?!

I think it's a disgrace!

Iain.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:55 PM   #98
Chris Li

United_States

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
Okay, that was funny... but seriously, people say anything and everything about famous people. I personally had very little respect for Segal until I saw his video,"Path Beyond Thought" and got to see some of his skill in aikido. True, he's now over weight and a bit full of himself... but the man can back up his talk with his aikido technique. As the chinese would say, his "kung fu" (fighting skill) is excellent!
Despite accusations that I'm somehow biased against Segal, I've always enjoyed watching him do Aikido - he has a clear idea of what he wants to do and executes it well. OTOH, I could have done without all those hero worship sequences on the "Path Beyond Thought".

Best,

Chris

Old 09-24-2004, 02:21 PM   #99
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Do what I did, Chris: watch it with the volume OFF.

I'm just here for the Aikido.

And Iain, was that last comment directed at me??? I wasn't judging him except for the ego and weight comments. Please note I was quoting someone else. As for what I DID say: A) He's put on a buncha weight! Look at him 15 years ago and compare to now. I'm not lying. And B) He is full of himself to some degree and I'd say it to his face... respectfully! He carries himself in the public eye in a less than humble manner. If you deny that, then you're lying to yourself. But remember to I said he can back it up. Anyone that walks the walk while talking the talk will never hear me just flat out insult them. I don't have to like em, but I won't come right out and say they suck or something. That's just asking for a good demonstration of technique! (I'll pass on taking ukemi from Sensei Segal, thanks!)

MOVING RIGHT ALONG....

PS: Why doesn't Segal Sensei hit the forums once in a while? He could do so under a psudonym. Who'd know?? In fact, I'd love to hear from him and other 7th and 8th dan's on these boards. I think it'd be a great thing!

Last edited by John Boswell : 09-24-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:59 PM   #100
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido

Has anyone seen the soda pop commercial?
Despite the negative connotation of an aged/down-and-out actor taking on commercials, I actually really liked this one and felt better about Seagal after seeing it. He actually pokes a litte bit of fun at his own ego.
"Yeah, I can't believe it's me either."

-Lorien

Please visit our sponsor:

Seminar with Frank Doran, Shihan - Aug. 8-10, 2014 at Sunset Cliff's Aikido, near San Diego's finest beaches