Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-13-2004, 08:02 AM   #26
Tamarack
Dojo: Whitefriar Aikido Club
Ireland
Re: How do "no test" dojos work?

Hello Heather and all,

I train at a "no test dojo" - of sorts. It's a fairly informal/un-japanese club. We say "thank you" in english, and simply bow to one another standing before each paired practice.

Our instrucotrs (we don't use "sensei") offer that if any individual wants to test, we can do so through the umbrella aikido organization (Irish Aikido Association). So, even though the option is there, it is ineffect a no-rank dojo.

And yes - our instructors hold dan degrees!

I've also trained in a more japanese settting, and tested there. I think testing is a great (though wholly frightening! ) experience.

That said, I think the reason this club doesn't test is to make aikido more accesible (don't quote me on that! It is just my impression!). It's also interesting to me when I have someone ask me if it's my first class too!! (ummm....no!)
- or vice versa : when someone treats me like I could be their senior.

wery,wery intewesting...
Old 11-01-2004, 08:29 AM   #27
Chad Scott
Dojo: Hombu Aikikai
Japan

A friend of mine used to practice at a small dojo in another part of Tokyo, and his sensei would give them a black belt when he felt they were ready. My friend seemed to like that system. Maybe that's how it was in the old days...?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:08 PM   #28
Dan Gould
Dojo: Cilfynydd, Pontypridd
United Kingdom

My dojo works in the same way. You're a white belt until you're a black belt (damn weird, coz I can't tell how experienced people are there, any my aikijutsu sensei is now a white belt, and we're both as lost as each other, lol). I personally find this comforting, if a little abiguous. All students are on equal ground. I'm not sure if they do gradings, but we all have white belts (not that I have my gi yet.) Maybe they'll just give us a black belt when we're ready, I think it's like that.

It really takes the pressure off and makes me feel more at home. Like there's no showing off, and when I walk into a room, I'm not the only one with a white belt. I like that a lot :-) It's very encouraging.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.