Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-04-2004, 01:54 PM   #1
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States
How do "no test" dojos work?

Hi all,

Just found out that our dojo does not have formal testing; soke watches your progress and when he feels you are ready, he gives you your next belt.

I've seen it implied on this forum that there are other places that operate this way; I'm just curious how well that works out for each of you, either as the student or the sensei within that system.

Thoughts?
Heather
Old 05-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: How do "no test" dojos work?

Heather:

Do you practice aikido? Soke's are unusual in aikido.

Anyway, the only one I have seen not doing formal promotions would just observe the student until he thought they were ready for a certain level and then hand over the rank. It was an issue for the organization since the organization required formal testing through Nidan. Ultimately he split and did his own thing.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Heather, no offense to you or your instructor, but...you are probably going to get some flak if you keep using that particular title online. If you read the following link:

http://www.koryubooks.com/library/wbodiford1.html

you may understand why. I'm not saying you shouldn't post about your teacher, just that perhaps calling him 'Sensei' might save you some grief. By the way, Dr. Bodiford is one of the foremost researchers in the field, and practices MAs as well. His perspective is considered highly among historians and MAists alike.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-04-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
PeaceHeather
United_States

I'm using the title I was given to use, by the instructor of this dojo.

Kokon Ryu Aikido, Bujutsu Renmei.
Thomas Burdine, soke
The link below includes him in another sensei's lineage:

http://www.brattleboroschoolofbudo.c...eageAikido.htm

Anyway, he uses the term and translates it as "head of family"; there are a handful of dojos across the country affiliated with this one, all headed by students of Burdine.

Still doesn't answer my question about "no tests", though.
Heather
Old 05-04-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
giriasis
United_States

Heather,

My first aikido school didn't really have formal tests although they had a curriculum you could follow. It was very subjective and not very fair in my book because some students were tested formally and others just hand a new belt. This caused a lot of competition between the different students. It was not a good experience, and I ended up moving on to a better school. In other words, I found such a situation didn't work.

As a side, please listen to Ron. He's right regarding the "soke" thing.

Last edited by giriasis : 05-04-2004 at 03:24 PM.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
Anyway, he uses the term and translates it as "head of family";
Uh, yeah, I get that...but that definition would be incorrect. I won't say anymore about it...but I hope you do read the link.

I was in a dojo where we considered not having tests...and even went to having 'demo's' instead of tests. Although that was not the reason I left, I can see how the situation Anne Marie refers to could easily happen. It seemed to highlight the fact that some people who were really good martial artists, but not necessarily good at a particular syllibus could 'slide'. If you know what I mean. Nothing wrong with that I guess if everyone involved knows what they signed up for. YMMV...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-05-2004, 12:48 AM   #7
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Heather, no offense to you or your instructor, but...you are probably going to get some flak if you keep using that particular title online. If you read the following link:

http://www.koryubooks.com/library/wbodiford1.html

you may understand why. I'm not saying you shouldn't post about your teacher, just that perhaps calling him 'Sensei' might save you some grief. By the way, Dr. Bodiford is one of the foremost researchers in the field, and practices MAs as well. His perspective is considered highly among historians and MAists alike.

Ron
This is a World Sokeship Council Soke. I would expect that explains the title. This is more of an E-Budo type topic anyway.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 05-05-2004, 01:12 AM   #8
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

It sounds to me that the problem in Anne`s dojo was that there was two systems, not that one was better than the other. I think that the no test system could be a problem, but I also think that it could be very good. With tests usually comes time requirements. Without tests, the ranks could actually more accurately reflect a person`s level. The teacher wouldn`t feel pressure to let a student test when she knows the student is not ready. The student would feel more of a personal connection to the teacher as he would feel that the teacher was actively looking at his progress or lack thereof.

Charles Hill
Old 05-05-2004, 08:15 AM   #9
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom

In my experiance sensei only lets us test when he knows we are ready, therefore he is fully aware of our progress, abilities and downfalls, I feel the same connection to my instructor as would an individual who is awarded rank through continous monitoring.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:49 AM   #10
PeaceHeather
United_States

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Heather
Old 05-07-2004, 05:27 AM   #11
Mark Balogh
Dojo: Mushinkan Dojo, Guildford
England

My first dojo had no formal tests and it worked REALLY WELL relationships wise between everyone. Also, everyone was very martial, they concentrated on effective technique, not doing anything silly. People just went there to train, without any BS. However when these people became instructors (including myself) syllabus knowledge was lacking and it is tough to rectify that, although I have almost overcome this now.

I think dojo's without grading are a great idea, but running them without falling into the pitfalls is really tough!!! You have to be so thorough in what you teach so that your students don't lack anything in the future.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:27 PM   #12
Jeff Stallard
Dojo: Circle of Harmony / Columbus, Ohio
United_States

Heather, hello from a student of one of Soke Burdine's students. I train with Mike Pabst sensei out in Columbus. I wasn't able to make it to the May seminar, but we've been going over the 15 techniques that he covered. Very interesting stuff.

Uhh...I guess I have nothing to contribute to the thread. Sorry...
Old 06-08-2004, 03:03 PM   #13
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela

"..a World Sokeship Council Soke"

Aint that something? get the net!

Excellent link Ron.

Last edited by otto : 06-08-2004 at 03:16 PM.

"Perfection is a Process"
Old 06-08-2004, 05:20 PM   #14
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
This is a World Sokeship Council Soke. I would expect that explains the title. This is more of an E-Budo type topic anyway.

Yeah, entering that Vermont school's website is like entering a whole different MA world. Where lots of titles are used bearing no relation to how they are conventionally used in aikido or koryu arts. Where a shodan can become a shidoin and a smattering of low dan ranks makes one a shihan, etc.
shihan here
shihan there
everywhere a shihan,
and while your marketing
throw in a few sokes and professors too.

to each his own.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:20 PM   #15
Christian
Dojo: Nippon Kan - Denver
United_States

My dojo does not test for promotion. They way it works is on an attendance basis. 40 classes for 5th Kyu, 50 more classes for 4th kyu, and twice yearly promotion periods for 3rd kyu and above. Sensei watches, and if you attend enough you can't help but improve. Homma Sensei says that time and effort are the equally important to technical skill. The skill level for the lower kyu ranks can vary, but once you get to 3rd kyu, the skills are fairly comparable. I haven't found this method to be a problem at all.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:31 AM   #16
Olga Mihailova
Dojo: BUDO Center
Latvia

We haven't had neither exams nor ranks for few years. That worked all right. Now we have. The sensei finds it to be good and useful. So do I, by the way.The ranks are especially useful in the junior group trainings - the newbies see the senior students at once. And then the exams is such an interesting thing - a good experience, a great training. I had two - and really loved them both!
Old 06-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #17
Olga Mihailova
Dojo: BUDO Center
Latvia

We haven't had neither exams nor ranks for few years. That worked all right. Now we have. The sensei finds it to be good and useful. So do I, by the way.The ranks are especially useful in the junior group trainings - the newbies see the senior students at once. And then the exams is such an interesting thing - a good experience, a great training. I had two - and really loved them both! And that is all. If still didn't have them - Aikido would be as great as it allways was.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:26 PM   #18
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

Often no different to 'test' dojos. Why? If your dojo passess 100% then whether you take the test or not makes no real difference except to your ego. These days - 100% is the norm in many places ... to me, in a way, that is a no test dojo! Simply, it is not a test.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:32 PM   #19
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Rupert Atkinson wrote:
Often no different to 'test' dojos. Why? If your dojo passess 100% then whether you take the test or not makes no real difference except to your ego. These days - 100% is the norm in many places ... to me, in a way, that is a no test dojo! Simply, it is not a test.
At least at my dojo,
You are right it is not a test. It is a demonstration of a level already reached.
People pass because they are already well-prepared enough to pass.
I don't see anything wrong with that. Not much different than new ranks simply being posted in the old days at Aikikai hombu.

Sure you could test them sooner when they are not prepared enough. In fact, I have watched another organization tests. This organization tends to push promotion of people pretty quickly. Often you see shaky performances, In one case I watched both persons testing did not do a good job. One was not passed and told to wait a year, the other was passed on probation only because the person was already starting a small satellite group (that was explained to him). They were both dedicated students, just not ready to test. They both needed another year. The one that did not pass ended up leaving the school. So did putting students in a position to fail publicly serve a point ? No, it just lead to having to watching a poor demonstration followed by politics.

How many senior Japanese who are sitting on testing boards actually ever took a test ? Tests seemed only to have appeared as aikido moved out of Japan in the 1960's when beginning schools may have had only a teacher visiting periodically.

A good teacher should already know what their students are capable of from regular practice.

Craig

Last edited by kironin : 06-28-2004 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2004, 06:32 PM   #20
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

The title "Soke":

My understanding is that it means "Uniting family and home", but is used for the inheritor of a school/art who is not in the previous heads family line.

I would be very interested in others interpretation.

Osu!
Old 07-11-2004, 08:36 PM   #21
aikido_dragon

Dojo: Aikido Centers of NJ
United_States

I've been in both types of dojo's. The first dojo I trained in was run very well. When our Sensei thought you were ready he'd promote you at the end of class by calling you in front of the class and tell you excactly why he felt you were ready for your next belt. His reasoning is that every class is a test. He'd watch every student very close every class and made sure to spend at least five minutes one-on-one with each student. He truly is an amazing Sensei and I plan on modeling my teaching style after his.

I unfortunatly no longer study at his dojo because he moved to another state, but I've found an equaly outstanding Sensei that I now learn from. He teaches and feels much the same way as my first Sensei, but because he belongs to the National Aikido Federation he needs to keep his training documented and structered to there liking. So he has testing, but you have to ask and get the Sensei's ok before you can test. When he says yes you can test or he comes to you and says your ready to test then you know in his mind your already the next rank and the rest of the testing is just for formality.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:42 PM   #22
Stick

Our sensei, Roy Suenaka, also declares that his students are "always being tested." When he calls one of his students up to test, the test is really a formality -- he encourages everyone to view it as an opportunity to show their fellow students their best stuff, sort of a "graduation ceremony." I have never seen anyone in Suenaka Sensei's organization fail a test, simply because if he doesn't believe you're ready to test, you don't test. If he calls you up to test, by his estimation you have already passed.

I find this a wonderful philosophy, one I'm certain many other sensei share.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #23
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
Heather:

Do you practice aikido? Soke's are unusual in aikido.
Since my Chief Instructor awarded Sensei Burdine his black belt many years ago, I tend to think he knows something about Aikido.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 09-12-2004, 02:04 PM   #24
BKimpel

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
Since my Chief Instructor awarded Sensei Burdine his black belt many years ago, I tend to think he knows something about Aikido.
And did your sensei bestow the title of soke to him? Or is more of a self-bestowed title
http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...pic.php?t=6390
Sorry…off topic of this thread.

Small dojos can easily be run without formal testing and ranks, if the sensei is aware of all of his/her students' skill levels. Larger dojos will probably find it more difficult.

Politics play a part regardless of whether or not a formal testing system exists (there is still only one judge -- no?), but it probably nicer to actually see the criteria formally defined so at least you know what to expect.

Bruce Kimpel
Old 09-12-2004, 06:02 PM   #25
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
Bruce Kimpel wrote:
And did your sensei bestow the title of soke to him? Or is more of a self-bestowed title
People always talk about lineage and rank as if it were something set in stone. Fact-of-the-matter is that many martial artists cross-train and go from one instructor to another. They even train in different arts and different styles within an art.

You can't pigeon-hole people into neat categories and ranks. I was told Sensei Burdine has strong connections with other arts besides Aikido. But that does not mean he doesn't know anything about Aikido. My understanding is that Soke is used among Karate types. I'm sure Burdine Sensei has also studied Karate.

Miyamoto Musashi had no formal training in sword. Yet he fought around thirty duels in his life and was good enough to do something most samurai never did. He died of old age. Today, he would be a "rank beginner" in any kendo dojo.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You

Please visit our sponsor:

Long Island Asian Studies Center - Classes: Aiki Budo/Chi Gong/Tai Chi, Author of: Searching For O'Sensei