Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #26
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay
Re: Poll: Do you wash your aikido belt?

The belt represents your training. The marks in the belt are the marks of training. The hole process is somewhat "written" in your belt. My Sensei told us this, and told us it was tradition not to wash it. So we don't.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #27
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

ups!!!! my english is awful. I meant WHOLE not hole.
Sorry!!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:36 PM   #28
Psufencer

Dojo: Lower Providence Aikido
United_States

My sensei told me to wash and dry mine a few times, to get it good and pliable, so it would be easier to tie...so whenever I get a new belt, I wear it in a bit, and then I don't bother. But it's nothing to do with tradition for us.

Cheers!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #29
brunotex

Dojo: Brazil Aikikai - Instituto Takemussu
Brazil

I´m still 2kyu, but we here use colored belts...

My wife just started Aikido (1 week ago!!!) and she is soooo happy because she is using the same white belt that I used when I started Aikido and I have never washed it...
She is always saying..."You see how dirty my belt is, it i because it was Bruno´s and it has his Ki and lalala...."

Don´t wash your belt may not hold ki or may smell a little, but can make someone happy...lol
Old 04-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #30
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

I wash mine when it gets excessively dojo and I wash my wife's obi just to break it in. When I first started training, I was curious to see if a white obi would one day turn black (per the story about the origins of the black belt). Since then, I haven't placed any special significance on it, other than it holds my dogi closed.

Pertaining to the "what do they do in Japan" aspect, I think the mudansha always wash their belts. They are always very clean. I don't know about all the yudansha. Their belts are hidden under their hakama. They have that clean yet lived in look.

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com