Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-21-2004, 08:40 AM   #26
Dunn
Dojo: West Virginia Aikido (Kushinkan dojo)
Re: what is your best movie related to the martial arts

As far as anime goes, Hajime no Ippo is the best I have seen. While it is about boxing, a lot of the principles and inner-dialogue apply to the little I know about Aikido, too. Courage, timing, selflessness, hard training, etc. Not to mention the fight scenes have so much character build-up beforehand you really enjoy them.

There are 76 episodes of it and two mini-movies. It is difficult for me to watch even one episode without getting goosebumps or an adrenaline rush.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:28 AM   #27
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
justinm wrote:
I always liked "Silent Flute" (also called Circle of Iron), with David Carradine.
One of my favorites...always stay up and watch it when it's on no matter how late it is.

Quote:
Charles Hill wrote:
Did anyone see Iron and Silk?
Iron and Silk is right at the top of my list. Another movie about the process...not a single fight in the whole thing.

And of course any Kurousawa film I've ever seen has been awesome.

I hate to admit it but I was impressed by the two guys in "Crippled Masters". One has no legs and the other no arms yet they kick ass all over the place.

Bronson

p.s. If you like way over the top, bad kung fu movies try to find Ricky O (some times The Story of Ricky). Ridiculously gory. One guy uses his own intestines to strangle somebody. Another guy ties the severed tendons in his wrist back together using his other hand and teeth and then continues fighting

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-21-2004, 10:49 AM   #28
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Although the movie and dialogue were hokey, I liked the scenes in the Billy Jack movies. Of course I was doing taekwando at the time.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:10 PM   #29
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido

For kung fu movies I always loved "Master Killer".
Old 04-21-2004, 12:41 PM   #30
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote:
Am waiting for the upcoming remake of Zatoichi withTakeshi! The trailer shows great promise.
I'm a little worried about the re-make. In the trailer, the narration says something along the lines of Zatoichi trying to uphold the samurai ways,
when in all of his movies he refers to himself as a lowly gangster, the type of person, who in his words, should be ashamed to show his face to the sun.

Admittedly, he performs acts of charity throughout, but I think maybe they're dumbing down the plot, afraid that Americans will know what samurai values are, but whose eyes will glaze over if he starts in on the ways of the "brotherhood".

Yes, I've watched way too many of the movies, too, and have started picking them up on DVD!

And I'll be very upset if the new version is dubbed, and not in Japanese with subtitles. For years, the only copy of Drunken Master II -my all time favorite, with the big fight under the train - that we owned was a vhs in Cantonese with Mandarin subtitles, or maybe it was the other way around... . Though I've never found out why Jackie Chan cut the last scene when he re-released it in English a few years ago.

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 04-21-2004, 01:12 PM   #31
Doka

Quote:
gscheel wrote:
Hi Mark:
I'd like to point out that this is not such a wild claim .... there was a movie a while back called The Challenge (also distributed as Sword of the Ninja) staring Scott Glen and Toshiro Mifune which Steven Seagal did indeed choreograph the fight scenes and served as technical advisor.

Gary
Hi Gary

He may well have choreographed some scenes, but "coached" - as in teach - Toshiro Mifune?????

Old 04-21-2004, 06:33 PM   #32
Fred Calef III
Dojo: International Karate Association/Fairbanks, Alaska

Impressive fight scenes:
1) Drunken Master II
2) Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
3) The Last Samurai

Most philosophical:
1) Seven Samurai (haven't seen other Kurosawa except Ran)
2) The Karate Kid (I)

I can +feel+ the giggle with Karate Kid, but consider (roughly quoting):
"Why do you train in karate?" , "So I can learn not to fight."
"Karate is not here (fist). Karate is not here (head). Karate is here (heart)."
"Do you have a black belt?" , "Yes. JC Penny. $7.95!"

It wonder if anyone will ever do a pure aikido movie (with no guns)? Or are movies anti-thetical to aikido in general (too much bragging and showing off)?

Fred Calef III
Fairbanks, AK
Old 04-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #33
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos

Hands down, it's Big Trouble in Little China, followed by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and then Remo Williams.

All others are way too serious except for a couple XXX-rated Martial Art films I saw in Viet nam and Yojimbo.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 04-21-2004, 08:22 PM   #34
paw

Quote:
DGLinden wrote:
Hands down, it's Big Trouble in Little China
Good Call!

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

Regards,

Paul
Old 04-21-2004, 09:10 PM   #35
Bronson

Quote:
DGLinden wrote:
Hands down, it's Big Trouble in Little China, followed by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and then Remo Williams.
Ah crap! I forgot about BTILC and Remo Williams....jeez, I can't believe I did that

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-21-2004, 09:14 PM   #36
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata

REMO unarmed and dangerous!!!! absolute classic!

also went to see Takesshi Kitano's "Zatoichi": GO AND SEE IT IN THE CINEMA!

most wicked!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:25 AM   #37
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia

Wow! Seems the american market is not short on a lot of martial art movies. Tai Chi Master, Iron Monkey, Fist of Legend, Swordmaster 2, Iron & Silk are all great movies! And the One had real great fight scenes, so much so I was tempted to learn Pa Kua immediately. Can't say much for kill bill though... Last samurai was ok I guess. I love the sword work in Yojimbo. Oh man... I have dreams about that one.

But you want to see a real martial arts movie, where the props draw a very thin line with the real thing? Look no further. Ong Bak from Thailand is what you guys should look for. Its kickboxing (or Thai Boxing to be honest) at its best. None of that Bloodsport thingey...

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:41 AM   #38
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
DGLinden wrote:
Hands down, it's Big Trouble in Little China.
A total classic and cool as hell.

Another one of those on my all time list, that mysteriously gets forgotten when I have to actually think of the list.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-22-2004, 07:04 AM   #39
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Dunn wrote:
As far as anime goes, Hajime no Ippo is the best I have seen. While it is about boxing, a lot of the principles and inner-dialogue apply to the little I know about Aikido, too. Courage, timing, selflessness, hard training, etc. Not to mention the fight scenes have so much character build-up beforehand you really enjoy them.
I recommended this film before, and left to the sound of my own footsteps, but here goes again:

Its nothing to do with martial arts, I'm afraid, but if courage and inner dialogue are of interest to you, "Touching the Void" is untouchable!

Sean
x
Old 04-22-2004, 12:02 PM   #40
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido

Quote:
DGLinden wrote:
Hands down, it's Big Trouble in Little China, .
Oh my God! How could I have forgotten about Big Trouble in Little China!
Old 04-22-2004, 01:45 PM   #41
Josh Bisker
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, and Renshinkan London
United_States

If we're expanding from purely asian-martial-arts oriented movies to general martially-oriented ones, I will put in my bid for Conan the Barbarian. Aside from crushing his enemies, seeing them driven before him, and hearing the lamentations of the women, Conan pulls off some astonishingly great combat here. If you're looking for phenominal swordwork, watch Willow. For rapier play, the old Douglass Fairbanks / Basil Rathbone / John Barrymore movies are unbeatable; of course there's Errol Flynn in Captain Blood or the Adventures of Robin Hood, and a GREAT scene or two in Danny Kaye's The Court Jester (with Rathbone as the bad guy).

As far as more traditionally MA themed stuff, Sanjuro and Sword of Doom (which had to have a better title in Japanese) are high high up on my list, as is Jackie Chan's Young Master.

The new Zatoichi is really enjoyably, an interesting and thought-provoking piece. No, it's not dumbed down for American audiences because it was not made for American audiences. Kitano-san is a celebrity in Japan, not Hollywood, and the film was in the rest of the world a while before it hit the States (if it has yet). Anyway, it's really neat and captivating, and his idiosynchratic portrayal of Zatoichi is delightful to watch. I thought the CG blood was a bit hokey, but i've read some interviews where Kitano-san makes some good arguments for it, even the kitch value.

Oh, and: Star Wars? Who wasn't inspired to learn swordwork by the time Return of the Jedi ends? Has anyone EVER been to an aikido seminar that has gone by without a lightsaber joke, or been convinced at some point that the difference between what Sensei is doing and what you're doing is that he's using the force?

Last edited by Josh Bisker : 04-22-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:16 PM   #42
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States

I oculd recommend the recent "Count of Monte Cristo" for swordwork, and the much older "Three Musketeers" and "Four Musketeers" -- make sure you get the ones starring a ridiculously *young* Michael York as D'Artagnan. Their fights aren't "pretty", and look all the more real and believable because of it. *happysigh*

No idea about aikido in those movies, though.

Oh! Almost forgot -- The Princess Bride. *grin*
Heather
Old 04-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #43
Bronson

Quote:
PeaceHeather wrote:
Oh! Almost forgot -- The Princess Bride.
Ahhhh, you beat me to it

Bronson

Old 04-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #44
PeaceHeather
Dojo: hopefully Purdue Aikido Club
United_States

Sorry.... I guess "my way's not very sportsmanlike."
Old 04-23-2004, 02:21 PM   #45
Neil Mick
Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz

All of the above-mentioned films are good, but "The Karate Kid" talks most about some of the realities of training ("wash on; wash off"). The others are a little too "fly-wire superhero," sometimes.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:37 AM   #46
Bronson

"So you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"

Bronson (we should stop now )

Old 04-24-2004, 02:47 AM   #47
JessePasley
Dojo: none at the moment
China

Wow, I'm a bit dismayed that my two favorite martial arts movies haven't been mentioned at all. First off, any guy my age probably started martial arts after seeing The Karate Kid. I know, that movie gets made fun of a lot, but I think people have forgotten just how great that movie is as it presents several elemental truths of training martial arts: 1) NEVER trust a black clad karate school and 2)hard training always score cool cars and hot babes. I would also recommend Vision Quest. Anyone who says wrestling isn't a martial art should watch this movie and be ready to change their minds. Like Karate Kid, there's a lot of typical 80s filmmaking going on, but it's an inspiring movie.

Some other movies I like:
Lone Wolf and Cub
Rocky (duh)
Yojimbo
Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Rob Roy
Fantasy Mission Force (the second worst Jackie Chan film ever made, but good for a drunken chuckle)
Fist of Legend
The Shaolin Temple
Drunken Master II
Ninja Scroll
Old 04-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #48
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Finally got to see Kill Bill Vol1 this week, thoroughly enjoyed it, looking forward to Vol 2 in the near future. But better than that, I saw the new Zatoichi film last night, thought it was really excellent. someone above mentions the CGI blood, I had heard about it before, but had forgotten about it until the above post, it wasn`t a thought when I was watching. Kitano is really good in this, and there are a few funny comedic moments too, I recommend this one.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-26-2004, 01:31 PM   #49
Ian Rogers
Dojo: Shudokan Aikido Honbu Dojo, Nottingham

Er .... "Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe," Buster Crabbe applies an excellent atemi to the Oragapoid's nose at one point, much to Ming's dismay.

Wasn't there talk of a film version of Angry White Pajamas at one point - or did that project die a death?

Ian
Old 04-26-2004, 04:08 PM   #50
Doka

The best Atemi I have ever seen in a movie was in "Final Destination!"

Remember the bus?

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.