Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-07-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
taras
United Kingdom
Question Advice on how to run a dojo

Hi!

I have been appointed administrator of our dojo and treasurer. I have all the enthusiasm and desire in the world to make sure everything is run smoothly and finances are in order but I would appreciate any tips/hints/cheats/walkthroughs seriousely - any reading either on the Net or on paper on how to run a dojo. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

thank you
Old 07-07-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
Mel Barker
Dojo: University of Louisville Aikido Club
United_States
Hi Taras,

I'm in a similar position as you. The thing that has helped me most was talking with the people running other successful dojos. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, find something that works and copy it.

Since our dojo is a small University Club, the finances aren't complicated at all, but not matter what the situation, it's important to keep up with the bookkeeping.

Also, I have been wanting to share the files I acquired on running a seminar. Let me know if anyone wants a copy.

Mel Barker
Old 07-08-2003, 08:59 AM   #3
Harry Nguyen
Dojo: Austin Aikido Club
Hi Taras,

I am interested in this topic too. But I think it will be more helpful if you let people know what you have at your dojo. Any structure yet or just start up ? I ran my dojo for 6 years, but I start from the ground up and still struggle with the place, rent and rank :-).

Austin Aikido
Old 07-08-2003, 09:28 AM   #4
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
1.Face time, you need to get your name out.

2.pamphlets, demonstrations, specials, radio advertisment.

3.make shure that there is a need to teach what ever your teaching in that area. If it is already too saturated, it's gonna be tough.

4.Make it as fun as possible, you want people to come back, and a good reputation, word of mouth.

5.Find a place with no or low overhead. Ymca boys girls club, church someplace where you don't have to pay rent or get kicked out if possible. There are alot of places like that, community colleges as so on.

6.And good luck

Chad
Old 07-21-2003, 10:50 AM   #5
taras
United Kingdom
Sorry for not replying for so long, I had to go away.

The dojo has been run for 3 years in a local community centre. Our usual instructor is 1st kyu and sometimes we gets visit from a friendly dan-grade. We are going to advertise the dojo around the area. We are in the process of sorting out the insurance at the moment so we are not advertising yet. BTW, if anyone could recomend a UK insurance company that covers 1st kyu instructors it would be very much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:44 PM   #6
C. Emerson
Insurance, yes checkout that liability. I was teaching for too many years with out having a waiver or insurance signed.

-Chad
Old 07-22-2003, 03:40 AM   #7
taras
United Kingdom
We were afiliated to an organisation, and their insurance covered us. Recently, however, they changed their insurance provider and the new policy doesn't cover 1st kyu instructors.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:57 AM   #8
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom
In terms of insurance best people to speak to are the British Aikido Board. If your association is a member they can provide cover; if not your association may be eligible to join.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:45 AM   #9
C. Emerson
GM Phil Porter usmaa.com. He also can supply you with insurance. I've training With Master Phil, A great guy!
Old 05-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #10
James Thompson
Dojo: Chelmsford Aikikai
Re: Advice on how to run a dojo

There are alternatives to the BAB insurance. The BAB will only accept your association and then it will need a number of members. An your instructor will still not qualify for coaching status with the BAB as he will need to be 1st dan no teaching qualification, no insurance, a vicious circle.

Your association appears to have let you down badly, any reason? or just more MA politics?

I'll let you know whom to contact regarding insurance

James

Please visit our sponsor:

Handmade Aikido Gifts - Handmade functional ceramic art with aikido themes