Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-06-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States
Mat burns are the DEVIL!

I'm no stranger to the mat burns, but I got the worst one ever the other day... Are a lot of you just dealing with it or do you wear tabi's?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I just dealt with the mat burns. I used to come home from class with the tops of my toes bleeding. I eventually built up callouses and the bleeding stopped. I was wearing tabi for awhile but more to keep my toes from slipping between the mats.

You can get tabi at House of Rice. It's the most reasonably priced source I've found online...still $19/pair though.

Bronson

p.s. Make sure to follow their measuring instructions exactly...tabi sizing apparently has nothing to do with shoe sizing

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-06-2004, 09:31 PM   #3
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
Suck it up. It will all turn to callous soon and you'll be able to act all manly about it and show them off at parties

"Hey, have you seen my calloused feet lately? this one's looking real good"

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 04-06-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Nathan Gidney (p00kiethebear) wrote:
Suck it up. It will all turn to callous soon and you'll be able to act all manly about it and show them off at parties

"Hey, have you seen my calloused feet lately? this one's looking real good"
Just wait untill the callouses start to fall off. You will prey for the good old days of mat burn.

I've got this recurring split callouse on my big toe - any ideas for dealing with it. Tape lessens the pain but its still annoying. And yes I do sand paper my feet.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-07-2004, 07:58 AM   #5
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
Just wait untill the callouses start to fall off. You will prey for the good old days of mat burn.

I've got this recurring split callouse on my big toe - any ideas for dealing with it. Tape lessens the pain but its still annoying. And yes I do sand paper my feet.
Sand papering feet?

Am I missing something?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:18 AM   #6
paw
Quote:
Sand papering feet?
You can use sandpaper, emery boards, pumice stones, etc.... to buff callouses. This helps to keep them from tearing open or tearing off.

Regards,

Paul
Old 04-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
Kensai
I've been doing lots of Shikko resently, the middle of my knees are ok, its more the areas surrounding is that I get the bleeding!

My big toes are now looking pretty Aikido masterish..... if only my AIkido was as hard as my callouses!

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 04-07-2004, 09:15 AM   #8
drDalek

How can I make a blister dry out without puncturing it?

If I puncture my blisters, invariably, the soft skin would tear off in huge sheets during my next practice session which is pretty painfull and if I just leave the fluid in the blister, the blister seems to grow wider and wider or it ruptures by itself.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:33 PM   #9
Kensai
I have found this amazing plasters that stop the blister from hurting or growing at all. I cant remember the name but when I do I'll post it.

Regards,

Old 04-07-2004, 04:38 PM   #10
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
Quote:
I've been doing lots of Shikko resently, the middle of my knees are ok, its more the areas surrounding is that I get the bleeding!
Don't you wear like... pants... in your dojou?

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 04-08-2004, 09:02 AM   #11
Kensai
Yea, just after lots of it it rubs alot!

Old 04-08-2004, 10:00 AM   #12
bob_stra
Australia
Quote:
Wynand van Dyk (drDalek) wrote:
How can I make a blister dry out without puncturing it?
Well..... sorbaline cream makes them softer / less likely to rip open. Hot water makes em shrink / dry out a little afterwards (for me).

Other than that... dunno. Perhaps tea tree oil?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:35 PM   #13
Jack Simpson
Dojo: Western Maryland Aikikai - Frederick, Maryland
Location: hangin' with the tengu in the "mountains" of Maryland
Mat burns, bloody knees, etc. are all part of the harmony of blending that is Aiki training..... Yippee.

I recommend neosporin topical antibiotic and covering the wound with an "undercover gauze" and held in place with Johnson and Johnson "Coaches" athletic tape. The undercover will keep the newly formed blister or scab from being pulled off by the tape. "Coaches" brand tape is the best I've found in terms of being waterproof and not leaving a gooey residue.

Good luck. Train hard.

Jack

P.S. I have a very attractive Power Puff Girls band-aid on my most recent mat burn from this weekend. One can still be stylish while healing
Old 04-12-2004, 07:05 PM   #14
Josh Bisker
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, and Renshinkan London
United_States
after three readings of your post, i could not understand what the hell "neosporin tropical antibiotic" was.

oh, i realized. "topical."

my question has always been, if i'm getting burns in places like on top of my feet from ukemi, or on my knees from shiko, does that mean i'm doing something wrong?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:29 PM   #15
Ian Williams
Quote:
Nathan Gidney (p00kiethebear) wrote:
Don't you wear like... pants... in your dojou?
How can you "new age dance" with pants on? it's not right...

Old 04-19-2004, 10:23 AM   #16
Jack Simpson
Dojo: Western Maryland Aikikai - Frederick, Maryland
Location: hangin' with the tengu in the "mountains" of Maryland
Re: Mat burns are the DEVIL!

Josh,
Sorry to not get back sooner. Mat burns, etc, are all part of the training and it's highly doubtful that you're doing anything wrong. Burns are especially prevalent on canvas mats, especially if you're not used to them. Even still, shikko and suwari-waza movement tend to be tough on the skin until you learn efficient movement and build up some calluses. Just takes time.

Jack
Old 04-19-2004, 11:59 AM   #17
gasman

Dojo: Sunyata
Re: Mat burns are the DEVIL!

sandpapering is something everybody should do to their feet. you can buy special graters at the chemists or in body care shops. once every while I remove the hard edges around the base of my heels and on the side of the outer foot-blade, underneath the big toe and everywhere else. something I picked up in the infantry. this type of foot care prevents bad walking posture amongst other things. off topic, I know. As for mat burns: I've found that they come rarer and rarer. Maybe because I've adjusted the way I move the feet on the mat.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!