Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Confused Philisophical Views: do they change much?

I was driving down the road the other day and it dawned on me that I blab quite a bit on web. It made me wonder if it was a good thing or bad, considering I've only trained on the mat a little over two years but have read a great deal. (and having a high I.Q. helps a bit. )

Anyhow, it occured to me that if a person (myself or others) would take the time to post on the web, say what they really think and get it out for all the world to comment on, it would be a good thing from the standpoint of learning. Other's would come along and debate or agree with you and show you other ideas as well.

BUT... on top of all that, as time goes by, you can go back and look over the things you have said and see if you've changed or how.

Anyways, don't know that I'm really expecting a comment or anything. Just wanted to share this thought with everyone so that if any of you are reading this and never comment... START! It doesn't really hurt anyone or anything and you stand a chance of learning or even helping someone else.

That is all.

Have a good day!

John B.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
I remember posting a lot on this other message board, arguing about something and supporting my view with Buddhist doctrine. Then, I talked to a scholar in Buddhism about these views, and I found out that my understanding of the doctrine I was using to support them was wrong! I've found that my views do change as I learn more and "progress along the path," although they seldom change by whatever argument someone puts up on the Internet. If I looked back on some of my old arguments, I'd probably blush out of shame that I used to think that way or so openly displayed my ignorance.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 04-07-2004, 08:05 AM   #3
dan guthrie
Dojo: Aikido of SLO
United_States
I've heard John Cleese (Monty Python) say something like: "It's the goal of every Englishman to get safely in his grave without ever having been embarrassed."

I don't think it's necessary to change but an openness to reality is a sign of a sane person. I've changed my mind on the death penalty four times in the past few years. I am currently against it because of it's affect on the executioner. I was in favor of it - because it's cheaper than imprisonment -last year.

Last edited by dan guthrie : 04-07-2004 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 AM   #4
AsimHanif
John, this is a pretty timely post for me.

Lately I have been trying to follow the edict of "Aikido is not for correcting others. It is for correcting yourself".

I find that the less I say, the less stupid I seem.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Before each test we have to right an essay where we answer a bunch of questions about our practice. The questions never change but it's interesting to go back and read your old ones to see how the answers change in relation to your understanding.

My sensei used to study with Tri Thong Dang sensei. He was lucky enough to get to see him not long before Tri sensei passed away. Tri sensei told him that everything he (Tri sensei) had taught him was wrong. They got to talking about how as your understanding changes and deepens things that you used to "know" to be correct suddenly become not-so-correct as you find better more efficient ways. The other way wasn't really wrong but it came from a different place of understanding.

Something that has actually helped my aikido practice tremendously is accepting that I can't do some things yet...and not feeling bad about it. It seems to have taken a big load off my shoulders by being able to accept the fact that others are better and that one day with dedicated practice I'll get there too, just not today.

Hope that made some sort of sense

Bronson

Last edited by Bronson : 04-07-2004 at 01:24 PM.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!