Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-31-2004, 10:21 AM   #26
akiy

Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
I think that ukemi means escape in Japanese -- although, I could be wrong since my Japanese is basic.
I can't say that, to me at least, there's no connotion of "escape" in the term "ukemi." The verb "ukeru" basically means, "to receive."

Personally, I think ukemi is the antithesis of escape. Without engagement and "matching" in one's ukemi, there's absolutely no chance for reversals. Also, there'll some day be time when someone will throw you without your having any chance of escaping; without being comfortable in situations of receiving such throws, I think it's very difficult to take the techniques well as uke.

In any case, I feel that the falling and rolling parts of ukemi is a small part of it. The majority of ukemi, I'd say, is everything that happens before then (and even afterwards, if you're into newaza)...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-31-2004, 01:26 PM   #27
Paul Melsness
Dojo: Ottawa Aikikai
Canada
Re: Ukemi

Quote:
Chris Birke wrote:
I seriously want to get my ukemi up to this level. I think it's amazing what our body is capible of; it's as though we've forgotten.

http://smokinn.fathamburger.com/files/monkey.wmv
Hey Chris,

If you 'seriously' want to be able to do this kind of stuff, I found this web site that has tutorials on how to do some of these 'tricks':

http://www.trickstutorials.com/mother_main.php

Be careful though - wouldn't want you to get hurt.

Paul
Old 03-31-2004, 04:45 PM   #28
Chris Birke
Yeah, I already researched it and found all these pages before I posted. I've been doing a bunch of rolls and hardfalls on concrete this last week. I've got nice bruises on the top left side of my hip and the bottom right side of my sholders. It's certainly changed the way I roll.

Just a little mistake certainly lets you know it's there.

First, I try to take as much with my feet and hands as possible (but in such a way as not to break ankles or wrists) and then go over the back with as much lateral energy as I can. Knees and elbows stay out of the process.

Also, I'm not sold on slapping concrete at all. I'll slap mat all day, but the concrete hits back.

Also, when going backwards, tucking the foot resulted in some real pain, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Ooh, I'm also beginning to realise there isn't one "proper" way to fall or roll, as depending on what you're landing on really seems to play into the technique that works best.

All in all it's been tons of fun ;D.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:52 AM   #29
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Quote:
Chris Birke wrote:
Yeah, I already researched it and found all these pages before I posted. I've been doing a bunch of rolls and hardfalls on concrete this last week. I've got nice bruises on the top left side of my hip and the bottom right side of my sholders. It's certainly changed the way I roll.

Also, I'm not sold on slapping concrete at all. I'll slap mat all day, but the concrete hits back.
Yeah on hard surfaces it's hard not to get those bruises especially if you're on the slim side like myself. Bones just naturally pertrude from those spots.

Regarding slapping a pair of padded weight-lifting gloves work wonders to take the sting of breakfalls.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #30
Liz Baron
Dojo: Bury Aikido Club
United Kingdom
Re: Ukemi

I just watched the new "Jump Britain" on channel 4 here in the UK, and I'm resurrecting this thread on the offchance that there may still be some interest. The Urban Freeflow site says there will be another US airing of "Jump London" on TLC on Jan 9th at 5pm Eastern time.

L

Windcheetah 176
"Handbuilt by Daleks..."

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.