Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-29-2004, 08:24 AM   #1
toranaga
Dojo: Aikido Praxis Club (RS)
Do symbol Belts

People, here I am with another question... I was reading some forums and noticed that you talk a lot about an orange belt.

I know this means a kyu level, but which one? Here at Brazil (or at least on the dojos I've ever trained, exist the purple belt for 4.º kyu - the one I imagine is the same that orange).

Could someone explain why of this diference or if I'm mistaken?

Thanks!

"Paciência quer dizer conter-se. Existem sete emoções, neh? Alegria, ira, ansiedade, adoração, pesar, medo e ódio. Se um homem não cede a elas, é paciente."
Old 03-29-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Shodokan uses red (8,7,6th kyu but they are "fast grades", equivalent to a biginners course and should be done in less than 6 monthys). After that it's:

Yellow 5th

Orange 4th

green 3rd

blue 2nd

brown 1st

black 1,2 and 3 dan rank

white with tatered bits of black, 4th dan or above.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-29-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA
It seems to very both by style and association. So that i My dojo a purple belt is 5th kyu but in the dojo in the next town, yellow may be 5th kyu & purple being 3rd or something.

I haven't had to deal with this at seminars but i suppose i would just tell my partners as needed what my rank is.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 03-29-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
cbrf4zr2
Our dojo (and I believe the rest of the AAA) uses the following system:

Untested - White belt

7th Kyu - White Belt w/Black Stripe

6th Kyu - Yellow Belt

5th Kyu - Yellow Belt w/Black Stripe

4th Kyu - Blue Belt

3rd Kyu - Blue Belt w/Black Stripe

2nd Kyu - Brown Belt

1st Kyu - Brown Belt w/Black Stripe

...then again, that's just me.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:53 AM   #5
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
This is one of my small pet peeves. Somebody will come into the dojo and say that they used to practice aikido in college and they got to green belt. When asked what kyu level green belt signified in their school they just stare back blankly. Then we'll ask what style it was because then maybe we can figure out the kyu level. Again the blank stare and usually the response of "the style was aikido". Ok, I'm done ranting now

It doesn't really make much difference in the long run they come on the mat and they can roll or they can't....but it still bugs me that people either aren't given the information on kyu/style or don't take the time to learn it....ok, I'm really done ranting now

Bronson

p.s. We use:
  • 6th & 5th kyu---blue
  • 4th & 3rd kyu---purple
  • 2nd & 1st kyu---brown
  • shodan & up---black

We have others for the kids who start at 10th kyu but as I haven't gone through that I can't remember it off the top of my head.

That is our dojo. I believe most other's in our affiliation use the same but know of at least one that uses the white-to-black.

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-29-2004, 10:59 AM   #6
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States
Ours are like this (USAF):

5th Kyu: White

4th Kyu: White

3rd Kyu: White

2nd Kyu: White (seeing a pattern here?)

1st Kyu: Yep you got it, White

Shodan and above : Black

I actually love this system...

We joke that by the time we are able to test for Shodan, our belts are already black from use...
Old 03-29-2004, 11:31 AM   #7
toranaga
Well, that's sound nice, all white!

But I see a little problem on this way... The guy just don't see any difference or any kind of "recognition" (OK, I know that we don't need it, actually, but it helps a lot!)

Here we start at the "6º kyu", white belt, than...

5º kyu - yellow

4º kyu - purple

3º kyu - green

2º kyu - blue

1º kyu - brown

dan - black + hakama )

Kids begin at 9º kyu, something like "light blue".

"Paciência quer dizer conter-se. Existem sete emoções, neh? Alegria, ira, ansiedade, adoração, pesar, medo e ódio. Se um homem não cede a elas, é paciente."
Old 03-29-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
giriasis
United_States
Only our children's program uses colored belts, and they start at 10th kyu.

--white belt one strip (no kyu rank)

--white belt two strip (no kyu rank)

These above two are really basic level they have to perform how to stand in hanmi, roll, do tenkan, irimi, and tenshin footwork without a partner

--yellow belt (10th kyu)

--green belt (9th kyu)

--blue belt (8th kyu)

--purple belt (7th kyu)

--brown belt (6th kyu)

--white belt and promotion to training in the adults class (5th kyu)

After they reach 5th kyu they can train with the adults and then are subject to the same rules of the adults.

But...that's how we do the children's class in our dojo. There's no set way to do it in the USAF-ER.

Also, some individual dojos in the USAF may choose to use colored belts for the adult kyu ranks, but these dojos switch to white at seminars.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:49 AM   #9
giriasis
United_States
Quote:
But I see a little problem on this way... The guy just don't see any difference or any kind of "recognition" (OK, I know that we don't need it, actually, but it helps a lot!)
Actually, it's not really that hard to tell a difference between people's skill once you start training with them. And, we do get recognition by the use of name placks on the wall, and a certificate. Some schools will line up according to rank, although mine doesn't.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #10
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
Ai symbol

ASU (at least all the dojos I'm aware of)

1st Kyu and below: White

Shodan and above: Black

Advantages, the white comes with the dogi, outlay for new belt comes once (with hakama prices being what they are, save every penny) and ultimately "Masakatsu Agatsu". Still, to each their own. I don't think it is important enough to start a war over; but given human nature, it just might (if you were to ask Jonathan Swift).

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye
Old 03-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #11
Hanna B
Sweden
Re: Belts

Quote:
Tales Vaz (toranaga) wrote:
Could someone explain why of this diference or if I'm mistaken?
I would be surprised to hear of coloured belts in aikido in Japan (at least in Aikikai, the rest I don't know). Coloured belt systems have been invented here and there. Not so strange they are not the same...
Old 03-29-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
toranaga
Hmmmm... Once I listened about the white/black sistem at Japan, but I though it doesn't exist anymore.

Yeah, Anne, here we make a line starting from the most graduated and lasting on the less. I see this line as an objective - be one of the firsts. As you got "up" on the line, the responsabilities get higher and the recognition too.

Old 03-29-2004, 05:36 PM   #13
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Hi Yann;

You have a lot of colours.

For students university students and high school clubs its just white and black.

Most everywhere else its

8/7/6 Blue

5/4/3 Green

2/1 Brown

Black from then on up.

For someone who trains relatively frequently it works out to about a year in each colour.

For the under 12s a couple of more colours are tossed in but I'm not sure of the division. I suspect there are also a couple of more kyu grades but I never asked.

Quote:
Yann Golanski wrote:
Shodokan uses red (8,7,6th kyu but they are "fast grades", equivalent to a biginners course and should be done in less than 6 monthys). After that it's:

Yellow 5th

Orange 4th

green 3rd

blue 2nd

brown 1st

black 1,2 and 3 dan rank

white with tatered bits of black, 4th dan or above.

Last edited by PeterR : 03-29-2004 at 05:41 PM.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #14
Noel
IMO, it doesn't matter what color the belt is. If the dogi collar is frayed, and the trouser knees are in the process of blowing out, they probably know what they are talking about. If the dogi doesn't look worn, they may have just gotten a new one to replace the old, worn one.

Five minutes of practice tells more than anything.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:47 AM   #15
David Edwards

Dojo: Genbukan, Macclesfield
United Kingdom
Wow... what a lot of colours indeed. Here in Britain, the only three associations recognized by hombu (not denigrating the other associations around, they all have their own merits, of course, just observing) are the BAF, the BUAF (which is really part of the BAF, but for universities) the KAA, and the UKA. They all have the following system:

Kids:

Junior 6th Kyu - Junior 1st kyu: Varying colours and stripes and things

Adults:

6th kyu - 1st kyu: White

1st dan upwards: Black

We do all line up in order of grade, despite not having coloured belts. As far as seminars / courses, when you don't know what grades other people are... well, you should just know, and err on the side of humility. And when practicing with people, of course you're going to know almost straight away, if not actually straight away, how experienced someone is. And, like people say... the purpose of the belt is to hold your jacket together. I have a yellow belt. Well, no, it's white really, I just haven't washed it for a while. And there is that school of thought that holds the belt as being the repository for ki, what with the knot being right above the seika tanden and all, and that washing the belt washes out this residual energy. Not to mention that the idea of having a black belt (and later, yellow, orange, brown, and later still, other colours) came from the idea of one's belt being discoloured from years of practice.

I wash mine about once every 6 months, sometimes more often.

Unlike the rest of my keikogi, which are of course washed after every practice. Thought, trying to judge me by how battered and worn my keikogi look... it'd depend on what day you see me practicing on, what keigogi I'm wearing, an old one that I've had for years or a new one that I've had only 6 months...

Last edited by David Edwards : 03-30-2004 at 02:52 AM.

It's a kind of magic
Old 03-30-2004, 04:24 AM   #16
justinm
United Kingdom
Quote:
David Edwards wrote:
Here in Britain, the only three associations recognized by hombu ....are the BAF, the BUAF...the KAA, and the UKA.
Not by my hombu, they're not. Oh - you must be Aikikai. Yoshinkan Hombu recognises different associations

Justin

Justin McCarthy

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!