Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-15-2004, 03:40 PM   #26
Doka
Quote:
Brad Medling (ikkitosennomusha) wrote:
Mark:

I will reserve from giving you a definition of ki because that should be a new thread. However, when one is releasing ki, one also exhales. This is common sense dude! Even the motor function of speaking must you exhale to release the vibrations stemming from your vocal cords.

Brad Medling
Yeah Brad, I was just messing!

Also, I just don't buy in to the mystical mumbo-jumbo! I guess I am not a candidate to practice Ki Aikido! I need to touch my Uke to throw him!

Mark

"A follower of the Martial Way!"

Just it!
Old 03-15-2004, 05:02 PM   #27
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Talking

Quote:
David Enevoldsen (Atomicpenguin) wrote:
Natural rhythm is also an important and integral part of a kokuynage. The challenge then, as I see it, is to sync the breath of the motion to your own natural movement, with the motion of your partner. This is a heck of a lot to deal with. This is another reason why I view this idea as an advanced level concept.

It's important that we understand both of these components and not get too wrapped up in one or the other. If I argue breath to the exclusion of rhythm it's like arguing an emphasis on ki to the exclusion of posture. Look at Tohei. He's spent his life spreading an understanding of ki. When I think of Tohei, I think of ki principles. Posture is not one of the first tenets that pops into mind. However, if you've ever seen him, his posture and precision is incredible. He obviously understands that each is a component (hence the principles).
to the first paragraph, this would be where I would ask you to grab my wrists and then ask you to tell me when I am breathing as I throw you.

to the second paragraph, he does teach very specific things about posture and precision if you pay attention. So actually posture is one of the first things that pops into my mind. It's certainly one of the first things I have to work on with my students.

the ki principles are just really aspects of the same thing - coordination of mind and body. Natural breathing is an aspect of that too. So in kokyudosa, activiely trying to sync you breath is IMO a mistake, you breathe calmly to relax and let connection happen and then go together.

Craig
Old 03-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #28
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
I'm just grateful that we don't have to consciously think about breathing, along with everything else.

Jeanne
Old 03-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #29
Atomicpenguin
Quote:
to the second paragraph, he does teach very specific things about posture and precision if you pay attention.
Isn't that what I said? If not that's what I meant. That was my point. He teaches what's needed. Don't you? Do you not find that certain people or certain groups need certain themes over and over much more than they need other themes? That doesn't negate the other themes.
Quote:
this would be where I would ask you to grab my wrists and then ask you to tell me when I am breathing as I throw you
I probably wouldn't be able to. I've experimented quite a bit with this whole breathing thing. My experience has been that I can sense it in most mudansha. My seniors, or near equals offer a greater challenge. But isn't everything like that? I can't push most of my seniors in kokyudosa. But I can move a new person like nothing.
Quote:
activiely trying to sync you breath is IMO a mistake,
Of course. ACTIVELY TRYING to do anything in Aikido is a mistake. It doesn't work until you've made it so secondary that conscious thought of it is irrelevant. Musashi's Void.

I don't know, perhaps this whole line of thinking will eventually end up being fruitless for me. To date, I've found it a useful idea. So for the time being I must disagree with you.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:26 AM   #30
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Quote:
Koichi Tohei Sensei talks about breathing naturally while throwing. Getting attached to the idea that your stronger on exhaling or inhaling is a weakness that can be exploited in his view.
I both agree and disagree with this one. I especially feel that you can train yourself to be strong in different ways on either the out or the in breath.

I also like how you tied kokyu to the timing of the breath, not the breath itself.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!