Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-17-2004, 07:37 AM   #1
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States
reynosa sensei

hi, just curious about where L.Reynosa Sensei is these days. Does anyone know if Seagal kicked him out for any reason. Thank you, take care.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia
and would he do that?
Old 02-17-2004, 09:37 PM   #3
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia
I mean why?

Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Yoshinkan Dojo
Old 02-17-2004, 10:09 PM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Reynosa

I don't know why he is no longer with Seagal. Apparently, he has directly affiliated with the aikikai.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:50 PM   #5
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: reynosa sensei

Quote:
daniel vanhee (vanstretch) wrote:
hi, just curious about where L.Reynosa Sensei is these days. Does anyone know if Seagal kicked him out for any reason. Thank you, take care.
What a strangely worded question. Are you interested in where the man is or are you trying to stir the pot.

I don't know either of the men but sometimes there is a divergence of ideas and sometimes just time to move on. There is no need to look for negative reasons. In fact looking at the Reynosa homepage there is nothing but respect and admiration.

John - the man would have been affiliated with the Aikikai before he met Seagal and see no reason why that would change.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-18-2004, 12:32 AM   #6
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Reynosa sensei is in Ventura, CA--I visited there last week. He graciously invited me to participate in his level I class and watch the level II (ukemi *much* too hard for me). I had a great time, and liked his sense of humor a lot. He did a killer impersonation of a vain martial artist trying to do throws while watching himself in a mirror....

He explained that he was no longer affiliated with Seagal sensei but didn't go into detail on the reasons. "Time to move on" seems like a fair summary.

It looked like a thriving dojo to me--lots of enthusiastic students of varied levels, adults and kids. One of his young students has to have been the best young swordsman I've ever seen.

Mary Kaye
Old 02-18-2004, 05:23 AM   #7
vanstretch
United_States
thanks all for responses, I was just curious and not wishing to stir it up. thank you again.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #8
SeiserL

United_States
Last I heard in the rumor mill, for what its worth, is that Seagal had pulled away from the Aikikai. When decided to disband his schools, many of the instructors went back to their roots and rejoined Aikikai. From what I see, it was good for everybody.

BTW, my brief experience and exposure to Reynosa Sensei was very friendly and positive.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-18-2004, 10:55 AM   #9
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States
http://reynosasensei.tripod.com/sens...osa/index.html
Old 02-18-2004, 11:15 AM   #10
vanstretch
United_States
thanks Lynn, thats the way I was thinking. and sorry all for feeding into the rumor mill,I was just curious. thanks again, take care.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:55 AM   #11
aikidoc
United_States
Peter: True but what I meant was he is directly affiliated with hombu and not through anyone else.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:43 PM   #12
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
John Riggs (aikidoc) wrote:
Peter: True but what I meant was he is directly affiliated with hombu and not through anyone else.
Ah. OK so I got a question. At what point can you recommend people to Aikikai Honbu directly for promotion - or do you always have to go through your original regional organization.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-19-2004, 06:56 AM   #13
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada
Peter,

From what I understand of the Aikikai's international regulations, recommendations for promotions must come from an affiliated organisation and it's comittees and not from an individual. However the rank of the head person of the organisation plays a role as to how high a rank the organisation can directly recommend or test someone. From memory, the minimum rank needed to be in charge of such an organisation is fourth dan, but you must also have more than one dojo in an organisation and other nidan or higher individuals in your organisation.

The rules are posted on the Aikikai's website.

Jonathan Olson
Old 02-19-2004, 08:08 AM   #14
aikidoc
United_States
I believe what Jonathan said is accurate. International regulations from what I understand require a minimum 4th dan to lead an organization connected directly to the hombu. Dan promotions are to be done by a black belt committee by recommendation. You can promote to 2 levels (yondan to nidan) and then recommend one level below your current rank. Once you have been accepted by the hombu, your group can recommend promotions directly. The aikikai does not affiliate individuals and you must have several dojos to apply (at least more than one) to apply. If you go to the aikikai website, it is detailed out for you. It is also my understanding you do not have to be a member of the IAF if you affiliate directly with the aikikai (not sure on that one).