Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2004, 10:27 PM   #26
Duarh
Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
In middle age I need to do these things.
Heh. I'm 18 and I strain something whenever I don't warm up properly. I think it depends just as much on the person as on age. Our warmups tend to be 10 to 20 minutes in themselves, but I like to do 10 mins of my own beforehand - just so that my ankles/knees don't suffer from seiza, for instance.

At my home dojo in Latvia, sometimes half the class would pass in 'warmups' (50 to 60 mins) - because it would be a beginner class with everybody learning to roll & sometimes doing strength building exercises across the mat. It was sometimes frustrating, but everyone could always use the practice - I think warming up by ukemi, after a minimum of preparatory warm-ups (heh, nice term, that), is a very good way to do warmups - you get to improve your rolls and get ready for class at the same time. . .
Old 02-19-2004, 05:35 AM   #27
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
Most of us get to class early and do warmup stretching since the class is only an hour long. Depending on who's in class, sometimes we stretch for 3-5 minutes at the beginning of class but not always. We always do warmups/mechanics the length of the dojo: ukemi forwards, ukemi backwards, knee walking, "floor crawls" and maybe one or two others.

As for Janet's ukemi-as-diagnostic: I discovered that myself a few months ago, since if my ukemi feels "wrong" it means (on me) that something's misaligned along my spine. I'm working on strengthening my back muscles & intercostals and they're better at holding stuff where it belongs, but I've also gotten good at twisting and pushing in the right places til my ukemi feels right again. If my ukemi feels wrong but I don't do something to realign myself, I always wind up getting hurt.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:59 AM   #28
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
We do a complete warm-up sequence of 15-20 minutes every class (90 minutes) including ukemi.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #29
Min
Dojo: Rochester Aikido Club
Quote:
Roger Marks (Roger C. Marks) wrote:
Although I returned the reply 21-25 minutes, this only relates to what may be termed specific warm up movements but in truth the warm up continues to include preparatory work for techniques to follow. This may extend the warm up another 30 minutes or more. But maybe the whole of the session is a warm up? (2 hours).
I replied with 15 minutes of warm-ups. These include self-stretches and rolling. For the most part, once the instructor includes a new portion into this regimen, I consider that to be the beginning of class. Oftentimes, the

instructor begins class with a stretch leading into falls. Although I may be

familiar with the terminoology and possibly the technique, each time I try to treat as new; new conditions such as mindset, fellow students, even surroundings, change the dynamic of the movement shown. With this

possibility, I suppose even stretching would be a new experience each time. However, with

those first fifteen minutes, both the mind and the body have time to prepare further for interacting with other minds and other bodies (hopefully, joined). In addition, those warm-ups serve their initial purpose. Once that is done, all else is exercise.

--I apologize for the amateur nature of this reply. This is my first post and will try to refine this reply in the future.

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.