Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-09-2004, 09:59 PM   #26
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
need to work on the connection, staying off the mat for one week straight makes my feeling on connectivity dull.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:16 PM   #27
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
Quote:
Iriawan Kamal Thalib (Thalib) wrote:
I need to work on my humility.. been feeling arrogant lately...
careful, man. remember 'too much aikido makes you arrogant'.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:23 AM   #28
jk
Quote:
What do you with this waza?

Talk your partner into submission?
Yeah. I read them passages from Dynamic Sphere...they're usually comatose within 30 seconds.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #29
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
My ambition is to progress from "I don't know what to do, so I stand there staring at uke" to "I don't know what to do, but some throw or other happens." Had one or two of those last night--I was pleased.

My training partners were very forgiving of the occasional unexpected zenpo-nage or kokyunage when they thought we were doing alternate ikkyo and shihonage, bless their hearts.

I also aspire to do forward rolls slow and kneeling as well as I do them fast and standing; and to be able to consistently do back rolls from standing or throws and not dither about which foot is which.

Mary Kaye
Old 02-13-2004, 06:26 AM   #30
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
1. Perfecting my Aikido Posture and alignment - I still have a habit of looking down during a technique, year of living in Brooklyn I guess. I also let my hand go off the center line to often.

2. Touch Time - Trying to capture and blend with uke's energy at the moment of contact.

3. Hesitation - I tend to place a small pauses at the end of my technique right before I throw. I think it arises from a desire not to hurt uke or do something wrong.

4. Sinking - I tend not to bent at the knees enough, and sometimes have trouble dropping my center. I think this has a lot to do with number 1.

---

I think a lot of these things revolve around my own self doubts with regards to my training and myself. Funny how our conditionings/issues follow us on the mat.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:24 AM   #31
JessePasley
Dojo: none at the moment
China
Right now I'm mostly focusing on chasing fast, boozing women. It's quickly becoming apparent that the secret involves the correct mixture of flakey eyebrow movement, riding custom made bicycles, and TSUKURI.

Okay, am I going to far?

With Aikido specifically, it mostly comes down to continuing to learn the basic movements...but I'm quickly noticing that the core principles of movement are limited in number, but nearly limitless in their application. One drill I especially liked was working different variations of oshi taoshi in relation to uke's movement. Same old move...if you could do one decently the other variations came pretty quickly. Once I have down most of the basic movements, the SOURCE OF ULTIMATE POWER WILL BE WITHIN MY GRASP.

Toodles.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:23 PM   #32
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: current area of focus?

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
~~Hi All! I'm sitting at work bored and got to wondering what areas of focus in training others might be working on. For myself, I'm interested in that instant of contact, how you can control the situation from the beginning with the correct combination of principles. A flash of tension, instantly relaxing, dropping weight, leading uke, spiraling up, down, here and there. Many times I don't quite pull off the right combination and end up with some pretty strange movements. Or the initial movement is perfect and then I get lost as to what to do next. Most amusing sometimes.

~~Anyway, I'm pretending we're all sitting around having a drink and discussing what we're working on or what fascinates us about training in Aikido. Cheers!
I am working on the same thing. Katsu Hayabi or "instant victory". Catch their center the moment we physically touch. Even better if I've caught their mind before that.

The Expo was inspiring, and I hope for Aikido people humbling, as some of the best aiki being done was by non-aiki instructors namely Kuroda, Vasiliev, and Ushiro. And some of the least aiki work was done by some Aikido folks.

Kuroda Sensei talked about whole body movement, Ushiro Sensei about "zero power", Vladimir was as relaxed as you will ever see. I have been trying for some time to get my technique to relax, to remove the tension from it. Gleason Sensei has said that his teacher, Yamaguchi Sensei, taught that no technique should take more effort than simply resting your arms on your opponent (partner). Saotome Sensei has been doing much the same thing for some time, simply resting a hand on your shoulder and breaking your balance without you feeling any actual pressure.

For me things are just now starting to come together a bit. It's much like riding a bike, before you know how it seems impossible but once you get it, it is not only simple but it is in your body and you'll never forget how. The rate of change seems exponential. I can feel everything I have been doing change as my mind comprehends what my body should and should not be doing. What I am doing now bears almost no resemblance to what I was doing five years ago. But there is so much farther to go... it doesn't help that the very folks I am trying to emulate keep getting better... Ikeda Sensei was here at our dojo this past weekend and his technique is so refined at this point. It's hard to even see what he is doing unless you already understand it. Just wonderful.

I had set myself a quota of gaining understanding of at least one each year of the spirals he runs at the instant of contact but this year that "exponential change" I was referring to made several come together for me, in fact I was able to see that they weren't even separate movements at all but were really the same. But of course reality set in shortly thereafter with one I've been trying to get for years now and am still not getting. No observable effect on my partner at all. Oh well, maybe next year...

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-18-2004, 06:58 AM   #33
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
~~Hi George! Yes, I too find working with aforementioned instructors both humbling and inspiring. Also agree 100% on your views concerning presence(or lack thereof)of aiki at the Expo. Quite an eye opener for me. I put up a post just after call 'Aikido in the way of aiki' or something like that. Deffinately those 3 gentlemen you mentioned!

See you on the mat.

~~Paula~~
Old 02-29-2004, 01:14 AM   #34
mantis
I've always focused on being a good uke, and probably always will.

certain techniques happen only when uke does a particular thing (like pulling instead of pushing etc.) training isn't randori, so uke must do the correct reaction to a particular technique or that technique won't take place.

i often find that beginner uke's aren't really sure of WHY a technique works for a particular reaction. if they learn why early on, then their fundamentals will be very strong.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #35
Tom Wolowiec
Dojo: none yet
Quote:
What do you with this waza?

Talk your partner into submission?
Kiss of death.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win."
Old 03-01-2004, 08:59 AM   #36
cbrf4zr2
Currently I'm trying to not think about what I am doing. My first Kyu test has been put on hold for about a year due to a couple of things, so in essence I've been prepping for Shodan for about a year. The first Kyu test (in my opinion) is just a formality at this point. My biggest problem that I have and I want to elimninate is not thinking about what I am going to do in randori or jiyu waza. When I'm attacked, I don't want to think "OK, I'm going to do kotagaeshi this time," or "I'll to koshinage this time." I want to be able to just let everything happen. Although I think most of that is because I'm required to show a specified number of techniques for a certain attack, and I need to know what I'm doing do I don't just perform 18 variations of sankyo every time

In the past 4 months, I've been given the responsibility of teaching my own class, which had made me see a lot of things I never saw while just doing technique. Now I am also focusing on picking up the nuances of certain techiniques while watching the lower ranks. An angle change here, rotate the hips a little more there, hit uke with a baseball bat as atemi. You know, those subtle things

So right now my focus is to learn everything so I don't have to think about it or remember it - and it just happens.

...then again, that's just me.