Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-20-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
josh rhodes
Dojo: Four Seasons Martial Arts
mind game

Hi,
Recently in my aikido classes I have noticed my techniques are worseing. I have only been doing it for six weeks and my sensei says not to be frustrated because we are beginers but I just don't know why I have gotten worse.(I think it might be more of my mind, you know using to much while doing the techniques) Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same things.

01101000011010010010000001101001001000000110000101101101001000000110101001101111 01110011011010000010111000100000
Old 01-20-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Check out the Peaks and Valleys thread in the training section.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #3
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Yes. its not unusual--You have learned just enough to have some expectations (of yourself) but you are still a real beginner so you are running right smack into that fact.

Don't worry, just give yourself permission to be "a happy idiot" (how I described myself--heck and sometimes still do--when I first started training) and keep showing up.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-20-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
I find focusing on the basics helps. You may be trying to do too much too fast.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
Jamie Stokes
Dojo: Kenkyu Kai
Hello Joshua,

welcome to the Aikido forum.

And you have been practcing for six weeks, and you find you are getting worse.

Every new beginning takes time and energy, and learning a whole body art such as Aikido does take time and effort.

How is your practice getting worse?

And how quick do you expect to learn.?

I went through a stage where I couldn't work out left from right, turned in the wrong direction, flubbed breakfalls, couldn't understand the language, on and on....

compare this to riding a bike.

takes most people more than 10 minutes to learn how to ride a bike.

And because you learn bike riding over a period of time, you remember for a long time.

So take each movement one at a time, and just work in that movement. So if you're doing shiho nage, just focus on that particular shiho nage. Work on the basics, and as you learn, you can focus on refining it as you go.

Let us know how you go.

All the best.

Jamie
Old 01-20-2004, 10:12 PM   #6
josh rhodes
Dojo: Four Seasons Martial Arts
thanks for all your responses. Well I just feel that I should be doing better than I actally am.

01101000011010010010000001101001001000000110000101101101001000000110101001101111 01110011011010000010111000100000
Old 01-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #7
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Quote:
Joshua Rhodes (josh rhodes) wrote:
Well I just feel that I should be doing better than I actally am.
IMHO, sounds like you are running a mind game on yourself. The game is called too much too soon. Relax, breath, and enjoy yourself. You may be taking yourself far too seriously so early in your training. Our mind is usually what gets in our way. It too gets trained in Aikido.

I had a real rough time when I started nine years. I probably haven't improved much, but I'm having too good a time to care.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-21-2004, 06:35 AM   #8
vanstretch
Dojo: Kyushinkan
United_States
irimi-nage is a "20 year" throw, so dont give up. just keep on and things will better. I read somewhere that when you take care of something, it lasts a long time. could this apply also to techniques?
Old 01-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #9
Kalle Koskinen
Dojo: Shiseikan
Re: mind game

Quote:
Joshua Rhodes (josh rhodes) wrote:
...I have noticed my techniques are worseing.
Can someone tell that is this good english? I'm from Finland and I don't speak/write/understand english very well, but "worseing" just sounds wrong.

When I'm facing difficulties in my technique, I don't post it on the internet. I just train more...
Old 01-23-2004, 12:49 PM   #10
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Re: Re: mind game

Quote:
Kalle Koskinen wrote:
When I'm facing difficulties in my technique, I don't post it on the internet. I just train more...
then what do you suggest we do here, brag about our successes?

Reaching out for some feedback/advice/support from one's community seems to me to be a very natural human thing to do, and a very good use of aikiweb.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-23-2004, 01:06 PM   #11
Ted Marr
On the "proper english" question, he seems to have omitted a letter. "worseNing" is correct. No biggie.

As for your perception that your technique is getting worse, that can be a factor in your ability to see what you're doing wrong, and in loss of self-confidence, rather than anything innate.

I once heard that the process of improving in some skill (especially martial arts) is a lot like the process of shaping a cube into a sphere with only the ability to make straight cuts. Each cut is the process of removing one corner. And each cut brings you closer to perfection. But each time you cut a corner off, you make three more corners. If you don't occasionally step back and get some perspective, this can drive you nuts.

On the self-confidence thing, I have noticed that your expectation that a technique will work has a goodly bit to do with whether it does or not. This might have something to do with better posture, smoother movement, and lack of hesitation. The more mystically inclined among us might also say that you are projecting your intent better. But whatever the reason, confidence helps in execution. But confusion and lack of sure-ness helps a lot too, since you can actually learn a lot by looking at what happens when a technique doesn't work right. Possibly more than when it works beautifully.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #12
Kalle Koskinen
Dojo: Shiseikan
Re: Re: Re: mind game

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
then what do you suggest we do here, brag about our successes?

Reaching out for some feedback/advice/support from one's community seems to me to be a very natural human thing to do, and a very good use of aikiweb.
Isn't there a topic of Seagal that shows what bragging can do?

Yep, think about it. If one person have trained for six weeks and gets frustrated and then posts it here, that is the thing I dont understand. And itīs too easy to post these things for advice/sympathy on the internet. I think that Joshua's teacher is right and he should belive him. It would be totally different if this topic would give a good start to great conversation.

I know people think differently in almost every matter, but this overpolite sympathy/support for people who are frustrated after six weeks just isn't the best use of Aikiweb.

Just my opinion / don't take it too seriously / peace etc...

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikido DVDs and Video Downloads - by George Ledyard Sensei & other great teachers from AikidoDVDS.Com