Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-18-2004, 06:44 PM   #26
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Yesterday I attended a 2-hour meeting, during which a job applicant was interviewed. Everybody was quite formal and the word 'sensei' must have been used at least 100 times. No other titles were used and there was no particular significance in the title. In other words, I did not use the title because of a particular relationship with any of the participants in the meeting.

Thus, I think the use here is somewhat different from that, for example, in Natsume Soseki's novel "Kokoro". Here the title is used of a particular person and this is close to how I have heard the term used in the aikido world, where a particular person is "my Sensei". Shihan does not have this meaning or connotation.

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-19-2004, 03:04 AM   #27
darin
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
Menkyo means certificate and my closet is full of them. Some of them were awarded for passing various Kyu and Dan grades in Aikido.

If you are talking about something similar to the system used by Daito Ryu why bother. The only real difference is the number of divisions and that is really only within the kyu grades.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't "Menkyo" mean license? Like untenmenkyo (drivers license). I think the word for certificate is ninteisho.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:20 AM   #28
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Darin Hyde (darin) wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't "Menkyo" mean license? Like untenmenkyo (drivers license). I think the word for certificate is ninteisho.
You know I'm not sure. First time I heard menkyo outside Budo discussions was when I was pulled over. I have since heard it a number of times where license just doesn't seem right. This includes both work and if my memory serves me dojo.

Any othe language persons want to chime in and call me a fool Nows your chance.

Dictionary lists certificate but usage is not clear.

Last edited by PeterR : 02-19-2004 at 03:28 AM.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-19-2004, 05:40 AM   #29
darin
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
You know I'm not sure. First time I heard menkyo outside Budo discussions was when I was pulled over. I have since heard it a number of times where license just doesn't seem right. This includes both work and if my memory serves me dojo.

Any othe language persons want to chime in and call me a fool Nows your chance.

Dictionary lists certificate but usage is not clear.
I am not sure too. That's why I asked. Just curious about the meaning. I am sure the word "menkyo" can be used in many situations but for its actual meaning I always thought of "menkyo" or "menkyoshou" as meaning license or permit. "shoumeisho" and "ninteisho" refer to the actual physical documents (certificate) ie. paper or plastic card etc. not the title.

Maybe Peter Goldsbury or Jun can help us out here.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:51 AM   #30
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
Didn't O'Sensei issue a menkyo to Suenaka Sensei (Wadokai)?

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:19 AM   #31
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Menkyo (--Ƌ--) has several meanings: permission or licence to do something (--Ƌ--); a licence (--Ƌ-- = menkyo-shou, --Ƌ-- = menkyo-jou); a certificate (-- = shoumei-sho); a permit (-- = kyoka-sho); charter ("-- = tokkyo-jou). There is a separate entry for menkyo-kaiden (--Ƌ--F"`), which means full proficiency (in an art).

I am at home and the only dictionary I have is the new 5th edition of Kenkyusha's Japanese-English dictionary. If you want the full works, with earliest mention, quotations etc, you will need to wait till I have time to look at the multi-volume Kokugo Daijiten.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!